Griffin preps for 'iPhone 7' without headphone jack, announces iTrip Clip Bluetooth audio adapter

Posted:
in iPhone
Griffin has added to its stable of wireless adapters and is catering to the needs of potential "iPhone 7" users with a 3.5mm headphone jack to Bluetooth adapter, dubbed the iTrip Clip.

Similar to other products in the Griffin lineup, the iTrip Clip allows users to connect a conventional set of headphones to a smartphone with no headphone jack by way of a Bluetooth 4.1 connection.

The adapter itself has standard media control buttons, and is self-powered. It also features an integrated microphone for users to receive calls, and access Siri.

Griffin claims that the 800 mAh Li-ion battery in the iTrip Clip will allow for 6 hours of talk time, and 180 hours on standby. Charging is performed through a micro-USB port, and a 6.75-inch cable is provided.

Griffin's new iTrip Clip will be available for $19.99 in September.

Apple's annual fall release event is scheduled for Sept. 7, and is expected to debut the "iPhone 7" with no 3.5mm headphone jack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Apple makes a technology change and it creases a whole new product category. Not a bad solution to pending change, however, lip sync maybe a issue with video, this will be fine with music. When you transfer audio throw two Bluetooth devices you run the risk of lip sync issues.
    Deelron
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Yep, excited to see Apple push this market forward.  Using a 3.5mm will seem weird in a couple of years as better technology becomes available.
    edited August 2016 Deelronlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    maestro64 said:
    Apple makes a technology change and it creases a whole new product category.
    Not really. Bluetooth headphone adapters have been around for a while now. I've used one for a couple of years because I like my headphones but not the cord. Although it would be nice if Apple fixed the Bluetooth issues in MacOS so to eliminate pops, clicks and interruptions when I'm using the headphones with my Macbook.
    aylkDeelron
  • Reply 4 of 9
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Jumbl makes this same product (same case, button layout, microphone, etc.) already, it's just Bluetooth 4.0 instead of 4.1  Search for "Jumbl Bluetooth" on Amazon.  Griffin isn't bringing much new here.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I definitely wouldn't rush out an buy one of these before next week. 

I could be wrong, but I'm expecting Apple to bring new BT 5 features that will make these pale in comparison. I'm also expecting changes to MFi to allow things like the iPhone to control the BT devices. Easy pairing, Easy control, Higher quality -- maybe even lossless. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Interesting that it uses micro-USB rather than USB-C
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I think Apple is just following the same trend that has been evident all along going cordless. So why are people so against it?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I don't understand. "3.5mm headphone jack to Bluetooth adapter" for "potential iPhone 7 users". Am I reading this wrong? First paragraph makes no sense. After that I get it but what am I misunderstanding in the intro?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    srice said:
    Yep, excited to see Apple push this market forward.  Using a 3.5mm will seem weird in a couple of years as better technology becomes available.
    No - the headphone jack will be around for the foreseeable future; Maybe not in Tim Cook's world, but in everyone else. This is just another dongle to let us keep using the equipment we already have rather than forking out $$$ for new stuff.