Jessica Alba joins slew of executive producers for 'Planet of the Apps'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Actress Jessica Alba has joined the developer advisory team for the Apple-funded "Planet of the Apps" reality show, chronicling several teams of developers working on apps for iOS.

"As a mentor on 'Planet of the Apps,' I'm looking forward to meeting entrepreneurs looking to address a problem with an innovative solution, and to help them realize their vision," Alba said to Variety. "I can't wait to see the ideas the app developers bring to the table."

Besides Alba's history as an actress going back to 1994, Alba co-founded consumer goods firm The Honest Company with a focus on non-toxic household goods, diapers, and personal care products.

Other contributors to the show include actress Gwyneth Paltrow, musician will-i-am, and new media entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk. Alba will serve as an executive producer, alongside Paltrow and will-i-am.

Paltrow, in addition to her 20-year motion picture and television acting career, is a musician, and has a weekly lifestyle digital newsletter, with accompanying video content.

Musician will.i.am was named in 2011 as one of Intel's directors of creative innovation. In May 2016, a line of earphones debuted as an Apple Store exclusive. He is also the co-owner of an artificial intelligence startup in Israel.

Vaynerchuk launched VaynerMedia in 2009, to take commercial advantage of a nascent social media marketplace. He is a prolific author, and has started an investment fund that focuses on consumer technology.

The open casting call for "Planet of the Apps" was originally scheduled to end on Aug. 26, but has been extended through Sept. 21. To be eligible for the show, prospective candidates must agree to have an iOS, macOS, tvOS, or watchOS app in a beta or functional state by Oct. 21.

The premiere season will film in Los Angeles in late 2016 through early 2017. Developers who appear on the show are not required to give up equity in the app chronicled on the series unless they choose to accept an offer from a show advisor or investor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    This screams boondoggle.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm still missing the point of this. I'm sure she's very talented, but how many apps has she written?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'm still missing the point of this. I'm sure she's very talented, but how many apps has she written?
    What part of the "executive producer" role for a show on apps necessitates having written an app?
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What does that actress have to do with apps or app creation?

If they wish to get me interested, then she should probably be extremely scantily clad, and use the talents given to her.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'm glad she escaped from Planet of the Apes  :p

• Reply 6 of 8
    I very much dislike the show's title Planet of the Apps. Yuck, it sounds distasteful coming out of my mouth. 

What's so significant about the movie that Apple feels the need to rip off the title? What's the analogy between the two very different productions? 

The show appears to be like ABC's Shark Tank for iOS apps. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Maybe the analogy is that Android users are the ESL apes while us iOS users are... Charlton Heston? /s

George Taylor: "Doctor, I'd like to kiss you goodbye."
    Dr. Zira: "All right, but you're so damned ugly."
    real quote!
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    foljs said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    What part of the "executive producer" role for a show on apps necessitates having written an app?
    Yeah, true enough I suppose.  Though I'm still missing  the show's target. Is it aimed at the techie crowd or folk just looking to be entertained?