Apple debuts new 2TB iCloud storage option for $19.99 per month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Answering the call of power users -- and avid iPhone photographers -- Apple on Tuesday expanded its iCloud storage options to include a 2-terabyte tier priced at $19.99 per month.

Apple quietly introduced the new tier as part of an update to its iCloud storage support webpage. As of this writing, the upgrade is live in all North America, EMEA and Asia Pacific regions where iCloud is already available.

With the 2TB option in play, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and PC users can now choose from four Apple-managed cloud storage capacities: 50GB, 200GB and 1TB. The default allotment granted when signing up for iCloud remains unchanged at 5GB.

Pricing for the 2TB tier comes in at $19.99 per month and Apple is keeping existing plans unchanged at 99 cents a month for 50GB, $2.99 a month for 200GB and $9.99 a month for 1TB.

Apple last updated iCloud pricing almost a year ago when the company nixed a 500GB option and scaled back monthly pricing for its two top tiers. Prior to September 2015, customers subscribed to the 200GB plan paid $3.99 per month, while those opting for a 1TB package paid a monthly fee of $19.99.

Today's expansion comes as Apple builds out a growing online services business, of which iCloud storage is a small part. During Apple's most recent quarterly earnings conference call, CEO Tim Cook said he expects services to generate revenue equivalent to that of a Fortune 500 company by 2017. The sector, which includes iTunes, iCloud, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Care and the various App Stores, brought in a record $6 billion for the June quarter, up 19 percent year over year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I would like to see an annual discounted rate for the iCloud Storage.
    VisualSeed1983lostkiwijony0argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Interesting that there is no discounted rate for the 2TB plan. It's just double the cost of the 1TB plan. Every other plan gets cheaper per GB as you move to the next level. With Apple debuting this ahead of next weeks keynote hopefully that means they already have plenty up their sleeves to talk about next week.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Until they allow sharing file links for downloading to non-cloud users, there's no point at all. And Dropbox prices are still better.
    mdriftmeyerasdasdanantksundaram1983
  • Reply 4 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    At the very least the storage size listed on the box of the largest registered iOS device you have should be free. 5 GB for free is greedy. Apple does want to keep people using iPhone right? By allowing them to backup seedless you for free it means they are far less likely to go to another platform and have confidence all their photos are things are safe. That's a selling point: we worry about that stuff. What a customer pays for should be Mac backup of large sizes.
    anantksundaramlostkiwiSpamSandwichjony0argonaut
  • Reply 5 of 28
    robogobo said:
    Until they allow sharing file links for downloading to non-cloud users, there's no point at all. And Dropbox prices are still better.
    I kind of agree. Also, it would be really nice that it would support Family sharing plan, so that I can have all of my family members share that 2TB of cloud storage for backup and personal use. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but it could be great to use that as my Time Machine drive too.
    nolamacguyjbishop1039argonaut
  • Reply 6 of 28
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    $1 per month is enough for my use across 5 iDevices. I usually just keep all my documents online.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Only because this article mentioned this targeting photographers: as an avid, semi-pro iPhonographer and professional photo editor, I think it's worth mentioning that - without exception - every pro- or "avid" amateur photographer I know (I know hundreds) finds iCloud services completely unsatisfactory and avoids Apple's Photos desktop and cloud apps at all costs.  For "avid" amateurs the ease of Google Photos and/or the free 1TB of storage on Flickr are much more user-friendly in nearly every respect. I really don't get why Apple can't figure out an appealing and price-competitive cloud experience. It doesn't bode well for the future, and I've been an "avid" 100% Mac & iOS user my whole life. 
  • Reply 8 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macseeker said:
    So would I, especially for AAPL share holders  :)
    macseeker
  • Reply 9 of 28
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    ireland said:
    At the very least the storage size listed on the box of the largest registered iOS device you have should be free. 5 GB for free is greedy. Apple does want to keep people using iPhone right? By allowing them to backup seedless you for free it means they are far less likely to go to another platform and have confidence all their photos are things are safe. That's a selling point: we worry about that stuff. What a customer pays for should be Mac backup of large sizes.
    5GB is "greedy"? I fail to see how a company giving away something for free is greedy.
    lollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    5GB is "greedy"? I fail to see how a company giving away something for free is greedy.
    Maybe compared to services like Flickr, which are 1TB for free? Then again, your photos are most probably sent to the NSA for processing, so Yahoo! would get a fair bit of money out of that. Well, Yahoo! and now Verizon, right?
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 28
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Just curious...  What cloud storage service would you trust, purely for security, more than iCloud?  

• Reply 12 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kamilton said:
    Just curious...  What cloud storage service would you trust, purely for security, more than iCloud?  
    I wouldn’t trust the cloud for security, but that’s me.
    argonaut
  • Reply 13 of 28
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    And does having an account get you "AppleCare for iCloud" when it breaks? As the saying goes - "who ya gonna call ??"
  • Reply 14 of 28
    macseeker said:
    So would I, especially for AAPL share holders  :)
    Actually, the thing for Apple to do is to provide iCloud storage forever, for free, to people who buy AppleCare with their devices. You get the same storage that you have with your device - IFF you buy AppleCare.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    It is if you sell someone a 128 GB phone and then default to iCloud backup. And especially when the product margins are set to accommodate cloud/network usage (mail/photos/etc). If Apple is defaulting ti iCloud backup then it should provide the space for it - because the margins allow for it and common sense demands it. Samsung won't because it's selling phones for cheap and has no infrastructure. Apple needs to avoid that trap and so far it hasn't. Bummer.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Why isn't the 2GB option $19.98?  :D
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    robogobo said:
    robogobo said:
    I kind of agree. Also, it would be really nice that it would support Family sharing plan, so that I can have all of my family members share that 2TB of cloud storage for backup and personal use. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but it could be great to use that as my Time Machine drive too.

And add to that the ability to selectively sync what gets loaded on the particular PC.  I like Dropbox's method of giving the the option of what folders to sync to my computer.  I have zero need to download all my photos since the beginning of time, but like that they are stored in the cloud with access via a browser if necessary.  I just keep the necessary constantly-used folder synced to my machines.

Until Apple gets serious about iCloud and make it as robust as Dropbox, it will still just be a curiosity for me.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    50GB should be the free tier by now with 2TB coming in at $10 a month, and certainly not double the price of the 1TB tier.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    The problem with all these cloud services is that upload speeds, at least in Germany, whether at home or via mobile, are abysmal compared to the amount of data you need to upload to make sense of the service itself. You take a few pics, and a couple of videos and you are already with 100MB or more of data. Like nothing.
    Try uploading that with 1Mbit/s. Or mobile with a 3GB data plan. (We have no unlimited data plans here in Germany).

Either you guys in the USA have "1GBit upload speeds" at home or I don't know how you upload hundreds of MB of data, with what data plan (with mobile), effectively.

And I buy a 7-800€ phone and I get a measly 5GB of free space to backup what of the 64GB of my iPhone?
    I actually turned iCloud backup off it is so useless (error message because I don't have enough space) and slow.

I also read and hear that iCloud services don't work well or miss useful features (see the comment of the links above) and cost quite a bit when you look at the overall picture of buying a phone and a service you use 12 months a year.
    When you also start thinking about how much space you realistically need for your photos and videos. E.g. 200GB? well that is 36€/year and covers a fraction of my photo library (let alone the number of days necessary to sync it all to the cloud).
    1TB, which would make more sense, is 120€/year - after I already dished out 800€ for the phone I cannot even back up on 5GB.
    2TB? 240€/year.... I can buy a couple of external HDD. And a "professional" photographer, doesn't use this stuff for sure.

Apple should start offering at least for free the same amount of storage that your iOS devices (the biggest one) come with. If you have 2 devices with e.g. 16 and 64GB, you should get 64GB of free storage to allow backup and see how features work. I want/need more, I can pay extra.
    But offering 5GB, I cannot even turn on iPhoto Cloud Library, let alone sync my 16GB phone (and I have 64GB), useless. And again, with upload speeds in the 1Mbit/s from home (where all my data resides on a Mac), I don't see how I can use them effectively. 
    Apps and songs don't need backup - sure. But my mail, my Whatsapp chats with hundreds of pics and videos, pics, videos, and so on... those for sure do not add up to 5GB, more 50GB...

As long as they sell 128GB iOS devices at 1000€ and give 5GB for "free" they are ridiculous.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I'm surprised that there isn't an Apple Music + iCloud bundle available, if only to reduce the number of invoices that people receive.