Mirle readying equipment for curved glass chassis on 2017 iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Taiwanese firm Mirle Automation has developed forming machinery for curved glass chassis that should put it in the supply chain for Apple's 2017 iPhones, a report said on Wednesday.

The Mirle equipment should be shipped to Foxconn and Lens Technology starting in the fourth quarter of 2016, according to the Chinese-language Commercial Times, quoted by DigiTimes. Foxconn is Apple's main manufacturing partner.

The Times added that Foxconn's glass chassis has already gone through Apple verification, and that Lens Technology and Bern Optics will allegedly join Foxconn as iPhone chassis suppliers.

Unlike the "iPhone 7", which is expected to be another interim update when it's announced on Sept. 7, next year's flagship iPhone should be a major redesign, featuring a glass back and an edge-to-edge OLED display, possibly integrating camera and Touch ID components. Recently Nikkei suggested that there will be three models, one of which will use a curved OLED screen similar to Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge.

Even if some components are already being approved, Apple is only likely to ship its 2017 iPhones in the fall. Beyond launch window considerations, the company often takes time to settle on a final design, and has to both order components and allow for two to three months of assembly so it has enough launch-day inventory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    AppleInsider said:
    ...has to both order components and allow for two to three months of assembly so it has enough launch-day inventory.
    :/
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any mention of DigiTimes ruins the story for me and I immediately discount the entire thing.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Wasn't the iPhone 4 made with a glass back? Perhaps the design will take cues from that model which I consider still the best designed form (easy to hold and pickup from a table). I assume there will be some band of metal holding the glass in place which would allow for a charging connection and the current group of buttons. I never liked the shape of the Samsung high end model looks clumsy so I doubt Apple would not take cures from that ugly thing,
  • Reply 4 of 8
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Curved glass adds exactly what to the user experience? Seems like another silly dead end like curved panel TVs. (Curved screens only make sense in theatres where the size differential between viewer and screen is huge.) 
    timbitdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Curved glass adds exactly what to the user experience? Seems like another silly dead end like curved panel TVs. (Curved screens only make sense in theatres where the size differential between viewer and screen is huge.) 
    It adds nothing. The whole push for curved screens is quite silly. There is no advantage having a curved screen on a phone or a consumer TV. I doubt Apple will release a curved screen in 2017. I can see them releasing a phone with no bezel. 
    timbitdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Any mention of DigiTimes ruins the story for me and I immediately discount the entire thing.
    This site was initially created to report on rumours about Apple, so which sources of rumours are you actually happy with and don't consider should be ignored?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Since we are talking about a glass chassis, who said the curve in question necessarily relates to the front or the display?
    edited August 2016 topper24hoursdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cnocbui said:
    Since we are talking about a glass chassis, who said the curve in question necessarily relates to the front or the display?
    So true! I'd love if a graphic designer would take on the task to illustrate what the most currently rumored 2017 all glass iPhone could look like. I'm a visual person and I just can't imagine what hell these rumors are blabbing on about. Curved what exactly?!