Purported 'iPhone 7 Plus' packaging shows Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter in box, 256GB storage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    The twist is that it is a Lighting-to-3.5mm adapter in the box...so you can use your new Lightning Earpods with everything else. HA! Now that would be Apple.
    [Deleted User]aylk
  • Reply 22 of 83

I think this is going to bomb big time. 
    Cool story. It won't.
    pscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Completely fake connector.  Look at how off-centered the Lightning connection is to actual plastic shrouding.
    Look again. Looks like the shrouding just moved a bit. Which is entirely possible if the shrouding isn't tight. 

The connector isn't even finished in that pic. You can clearly see it's just an empty housing with the Lightning plug in it. When it's finished, it'll have a fill inside to center the connector. Just look at any Lightning cable you have. It's a two part housing.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    lkrupp said:
    I'm seeing posts on Twitter pretty much confirming this rumor. Lightning earbuds and an adapter in the box. Boy Apple sure does love it's adapters. I'm surprised they're throwing it in the box and not charging extra for it. They better have a good marketing pitch for why proprietary lightning headphones are better than the current ones. I'm not sure making the phone more water resistant is good enough ( if that's even why they're doing it).

My opinion is that an adapter will not be included. Apple has never, to my knowledge, included any adapter when it switches ports. My iMac 14,2 did not include a Thunderbolt-> Firewire adapter when Apple got rid of Firewire. When the iPod went from Firewire to USB there was no adapter. Including a 3.5mm adapter would defeat the entire purpose of moving to a digital port. The idea is to firmly nudge user to the new port, not enable them to stay put. There will indeed be an adapter but it will not be included free. You will have to buy one separately. Only a few days before we find out who’s right.  B)
    The original MBA included both DVI and VGA adapters simply because MicroDVI was basically only used by Apple. Also, I'm pretty sure the early 17" PowerBooks (the ones that introduced FW800) included a FW800 to FW400 adapter in the box. 
    mike1TurboPGTtallest skilbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 83
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mindwaves said:
    Don't care if Apple does. 100% of my music is listened to on my laptop, not on my iPhone.
    Me too. I look really cool walking on the track with my laptop in tow.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    lkrupp said:
    I'm seeing posts on Twitter pretty much confirming this rumor. Lightning earbuds and an adapter in the box. Boy Apple sure does love it's adapters. I'm surprised they're throwing it in the box and not charging extra for it. They better have a good marketing pitch for why proprietary lightning headphones are better than the current ones. I'm not sure making the phone more water resistant is good enough ( if that's even why they're doing it).

My opinion is that an adapter will not be included. Apple has never, to my knowledge, included any adapter when it switches ports. My iMac 14,2 did not include a Thunderbolt-> Firewire adapter when Apple got rid of Firewire. When the iPod went from Firewire to USB there was no adapter. Including a 3.5mm adapter would defeat the entire purpose of moving to a digital port. The idea is to firmly nudge user to the new port, not enable them to stay put. There will indeed be an adapter but it will not be included free. You will have to buy one separately. Only a few days before we find out who’s right.  B)
    The original MBA included both DVI and VGA adapters simply because MicroDVI was basically only used by Apple. Also, I'm pretty sure the early 17" PowerBooks (the ones that introduced FW800) included a FW800 to FW400 adapter in the box. 
    I can see this going either way. There are people with some very expensive, high quality headphones out there that this will placate in the short term and the 3.5mm connector is rather ubiquitous. On the other hand, I can see them just deciding to sell it. We'll see. Certainly not going to get angry about it.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    mike1 said:
    mindwaves said:
    Don't care if Apple does. 100% of my music is listened to on my laptop, not on my iPhone.
    Me too. I look really cool walking on the track with my laptop in tow.

It's the hip new thing. 
    jbishop1039TurboPGTaylktallest skilbaconstang
  • Reply 28 of 83
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    OMG. Please...no more adapters. I'm drowning in a pile of them now.
    How is technology going to move forwards if you never can change anything because of old standards? The adaptors are there so you can use your old externals after alternatives are introduced. I expect that most users will use bluetooth headphones soon, so why not get rid of the old analogue plug, and include an adapter for those that insists on using their old headphones? A win-win situation in my book.
    brucemcnolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 83
    I'm OK with the audio jack removal as a departure from old tech and so. However, using EarPods while charging seems like it'll be not possible at all. That's an important compromise in my use case: charging my phone while I listen to music/podcasts at the office. I really doubt the bundled adapter will allow simultaneous charge and using the headphones, so I guess I'll have to wait for the phone to charge before I can listen to music at work. It's a rather small annoyance, but we use to resist change until we're 'forced' to. I guess this shake in use habits will be worth it, with improvements such as better water resistance and sound quality (though I doubt the latter will be quite noticeable with Apple's earbuds).
    aylk
  • Reply 30 of 83
    chazbcn said:
    I'm OK with the audio jack removal as a departure from old tech and so. However, using EarPods while charging seems like it'll be not possible at all. That's an important compromise in my use case: charging my phone while I listen to music/podcasts at the office. I really doubt the bundled adapter will allow simultaneous charge and using the headphones, so I guess I'll have to wait for the phone to charge before I can listen to music at work. It's a rather small annoyance, but we use to resist change until we're 'forced' to. I guess this shake in use habits will be worth it, with improvements such as better water resistance and sound quality (though I doubt the latter will be quite noticeable with Apple's earbuds).

This is where charging via a Smart Connector or wireless charging would come in handy. To eliminate small problems like that and open up new possibilities for the future.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Good riddance to crackly music due to dust build up in a worn and loose 3.5mm plug.  It's about time.
    TurboPGTdasanman69SpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 83
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    larrya said:
    blastdoor said:
    This sure does have the stink of plausibility on it. 

It sure does seem that Apple is creating a significant marketing challenge for themselves. 
    Including the adapter would pretty much extinguish the complaints. 
    Wrong!  The cost of the dongle is almost irrelevant. It's the fact that you will never have it with you when you need it, and it's overall inelegance that offends me.  It seems acceptable on paper, but in the real world it sucks. I had a win CE phone that required one and the end result was I could not use it to listen to music. 
    Sad that you're getting down voted for this. There is nothing elegant about an adapter, period.
    jbishop1039aylk80s_Apple_Guytallest skilbaconstangHabi_tweetspheric
  • Reply 33 of 83
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tryd said:
    OMG. Please...no more adapters. I'm drowning in a pile of them now.
    How is technology going to move forwards if you never can change anything because of old standards? The adaptors are there so you can use your old externals after alternatives are introduced. I expect that most users will use bluetooth headphones soon, so why not get rid of the old analogue plug, and include an adapter for those that insists on using their old headphones? A win-win situation in my book.
    If Apple was putting good quality wireless headphones in the box I might agree but how is going from the ubiquitous 3.5mm jack to proprietary lightning moving things forward? Are new Macs going to include lightning port? Or will they require an adapter?
    aylkbaconstangHabi_tweet
  • Reply 34 of 83
    chazbcn said:
    I just don't buy this argument at all.
    There is no reason to charge and listen to music via wired earbuds at the same time. None.
    iPhone is rated for 24 hours of music playback.

Why are you not charging your phone at night and arriving to work with a fully charged phone?
  • Reply 35 of 83
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Some speculated that Apple would not include an adapter for legacy headphones in the box, as the company has offered no such concessions in the past when it ditched features like the 30-pin iPod connector, CD/DVD SuperDrive in MacBooks, or 3.5-millimeter floppy drives in legacy Macs.
    3.5-millimeter floppy drives eh?
    headfull0winefastasleepspheric
  • Reply 36 of 83
    larrya said:
    blastdoor said:
    This sure does have the stink of plausibility on it. 

It sure does seem that Apple is creating a significant marketing challenge for themselves. 
    Including the adapter would pretty much extinguish the complaints. 
    Wrong!  The cost of the dongle is almost irrelevant. It's the fact that you will never have it with you when you need it, and it's overall inelegance that offends me.  It seems acceptable on paper, but in the real world it sucks. I had a win CE phone that required one and the end result was I could not use it to listen to music. 
    I'm just not seeing the real world problem here. It is not going to affect me because:

1. When I'm out and about, I'll either be using the included Lightning EarPods, or a set of Bluetooth earbuds (maybe Apple's AirPods if they come to fruition).
    2. When I'm at home, and serious about listening to music, I'll use my Phillips Fidelio Lightning headphones that I've already had for a year, because I care about high quality music and being able to listen to it on my iPhone, something you simply can't get out of the 3.5mm port.
    3. If I really wanted to connect a crappy old pair of analog headphones, I'll have the Adapter.

Just like every legacy technology in my house, there is an adapter to connect it to a more modern device.

I guess the vocal minority that is so indignant over this issue hasn't come to accept/realize that their analog headphones are actually antiquated, crappy tech, that has been replaced.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 37 of 83
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    mac_128 said:
    lkrupp said:

I entirely agree.

including the adapter is not only an acknowledgement they made a mistake removing the headphone jack
    Or you know, a courtsesy to the 100s of millions that still have headphones with said jack -- including from Apple.
    mac_128 said:
    lkrupp said:

but also encouraging customers to continue using their old cheaper 3.5mm equipment
    First, who said users 3.5mm equipment will be "old" and "cheaper"? It could be a recently bought AND/OR very expensive pair of headphones, and the users that have such will be very pissed if they ALSO had to buy an adapter to merely use it with their new phone. By including the adapter, Apple pre-emptied most of the negative reactions.
    baconstang
  • Reply 38 of 83
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    I am in awe of all the angst and gnashing of teeth over the possibility that Apple may be phasing out a (literally!) nineteenth century connector technology. 

If you could travel back in time and walk into Edison's lab at Menlo Park in 1880, carrying a set of earbuds with the 3.5 mm jack, they would immediately know exactly what it is. They'd marvel at the miniaturization, but that's only because they'd have quarter-inch jacks on hand for comparison.
    nolamacguyfastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 83
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I am sure that technology is moving past the antiquated headphone jack. 

I am not sure that the future will be a lightning jack. I can't see the industry moving to this.

Shouldn't it be a more standard jack? As an example Apple ditched FireWire for USB. What is the USB equivalent of the headphone jack? 

Wireless?

my apologies if that's an oversimplification of a complex problem 
  • Reply 40 of 83
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    If Apple has to include a adapter with the iPhone, maybe it's to early to remove the port in the first place!!! I just think it's dumb to remove the port just to then throw a adapter in to give you back the port. I think it should just be a optional accessory for those that want it. I've never used it on my iPhone 6 and only early on used it on my iPhone 4. I've been using Bluetooth most of the time. It would be like Apple removing the floppy drive from the computer and then giving you a external floppy drive. It doesn't make much sense. Move forward if you're going to move forward. Maybe Apple should have started last year and included lightning headphones a year ago and recommending Bluetooth headphones back then. Get people a little used to the idea and know change was coming. I just think it's silly to include a adapter IF that is even true.
    baconstangHabi_tweet