BMW adds Apple's CarPlay as $300 upgrade for most models

Posted:
in iPhone
People able to afford a BMW can now get Apple CarPlay on virtually any new model as a $300 upgrade option, according to the automaker's website.

A CarPlay upgrade is listed for most vehicles, the notable exceptions being the i3 electric and the i8 plug-in hybrid. Most hybrid and electric cars have dash displays that should, in theory, make platforms like CarPlay easy to support.

Long a CarPlay holdout, BMW first teased support in November 2015, later hinting at specific support on X- and M-series vehicles. Earlier this month, its first CarPlay-ready products turned out be the the 230i and M240i.

It's unknown why CarPlay is only available as an upgrade from BMW. Other companies, like Honda, include the option by default in some higher-end configurations of their vehicles, which are still often cheaper than BMW's lineup.

Apple is due to make significant upgrades to CarPlay with next month's launch of iOS 10, including the ability to hide and rearrange icons, and have an iPhone push a parking marker to Apple Maps when it disconnects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ain't that a kick in the grapes. 
  • Reply 2 of 14
    The high priced brands, are always like this, nickel and dime you for every little feature.  Just like hotels, the cheap ones include wi-fi for free, the expensive ones charge you 20$ a day.

• Reply 3 of 14
    ""It's unknown why CarPlay is only available as an upgrade"

That's an easy one: it's the way BMW does business. Many non-core features are options on BMW cars, depending on market (heated seats, folding mirrors, parking sensors, scent-injectors for the a/c). It's their way of pricing, so a basic model has a price 
    the the customer can customise according to their priorities and wealth. If you were unkind, you could compare it to fitting a single USB-C connector on a computer and then selling adaptors so that buyers could customise their computer to connect to particular real-world peripherals. But that would be silly  >:)

There are some BMW enthusiasts that pride themselves on stripped-down vehicles and others that can't live without adaptive cruise control.

And no, I didn't make-up the 'fragrance' injection to customise the smell of your cabin - it's on the 7-Series limo.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    It's laughable that they made it a $300 option, but hey, at least it's an option. The more cars with carplay the better. I used it for the first time in a car rental a few days ago, and it was a VERY good experience, and easily the best in car navigation experience I've ever had.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Has anyone seen how it's integrated with the existing system?
    The respective UIs are very different.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Hmmm.. I wonder if CarPlay can be added after purchase as I have a 2016 340i Msport with the pro-nav option.... surely,  a simple software update.... for $300 :neutral: 

• Reply 7 of 14
    It's actually more like a $2200 option since you have to have the $1900 Nav system option to get carplay...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mehhh ... i'll pass. i like my idrive.
    argonaut
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ain't that a kick in the grapes. 
    Not really, as all luxury manufacturers nickel-and-dime you for everything. Actually, I am surprised it's only $300. That's a rounding error in the larger scheme of things...

(PS: I had mentioned that BMW will be doing this starting September, a few months ago; although I did not know the price).
  • Reply 10 of 14
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    mehhh ... i'll pass. i like my idrive.
    I agree.. The latest iDrive in my 2016 model is really excellent. Bluetooth integration with 2 phones simultaneously works like a dream as well.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I have a 2016 X4 with the Nav System and Tech Package. I would surely pay $300 for the upgrade.  But I bet they will only offer it on 2017 cars.  No simple OTA upgrade like Tesla.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tony411la said:
    I have a 2016 X4 with the Nav System and Tech Package. I would surely pay $300 for the upgrade.  But I bet they will only offer it on 2017 cars.  No simple OTA upgrade like Tesla.
    Yes, only 2017, and only those ordered after September from what I hear.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    It's actually more like a $2200 option since you have to have the $1900 Nav system option to get carplay...
    Current Voice commands in BMW work fine for me for using Siri to take care my tasks: press and hold the command button "Call John Doe"...ding! "Calling John Doe"! 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I have the latest 425d that allows to purchase the carPlay option online. After using the brand new iDrive implementation for 3 weeks now I will pass for sure. CarPlay from all I have seen does not even come close to what BMW did in this system and I simply do not see any additional value in it.
    They now have almost free speech google search based on Dragon speech recognition for all car relevant topics and it works better then Siri ever did by far. The navigation is done way better as well. Also Siri is always available by just pressing the steering wheel button a bit longer anyway.
    I really think that it is more and more obvious that at least the premium car manufacturers will not hand over the UI experience to Apple or Google as this is part of their IP and they simply know how to do it better. Also its the user experience with their brand they don't want to pass on to a third party
    edited September 2016