• Reply 21 of 58
    The GALAXY B.B.GATE? 
    (big bang gate)
    or 
    bad battery
    bang battery 
    boom battery 
    battery bomb

Feel free to add your own interpretation. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Explosiongate?
  • Reply 23 of 58
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    You're exploding it wrong!
    calilolliver[Deleted User]
  • Reply 24 of 58
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    now that is rapid charging!
  • Reply 26 of 58
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Keep Galaxy phone at distance and use robotic arm to interact. So, it won't explode in your face.
    cali
  • Reply 27 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This is not good news for any phone maker especially since some many of these products use similar if not the same parts from the sources.... hint.
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 58
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    If you do a Google search for this news you'll notice certain news sites are not using the word 'exploding' (or variants) in their headlines (The Daily Mail, The Daily Express, The Guardian, Business Insider...)

I read one in particular (Daily Express, UK) that stated early on that it's a "phenomenal smartphone" and a "fabulous device". This seems a bit strange for such a dangerous problem.

Could this be a sign of their pro-Samsung bias? If it was Apple you can be sure they would use the word 'exploding' with glee!
    muadibepscooter63magman1979[Deleted User]cali
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Liar, liar, phones on fire...
    Darth Siduxcalilollivermagman1979[Deleted User]
  • Reply 30 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Additional quality control? Sounds like it's going under initial quality control. 

edited August 2016 calilollivermagman1979[Deleted User]
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Samsung's engineers should be better than this. In their quest to outdo the iPhone, they must be taking design shortcuts. Fast charging increases the risk for exploding batteries quite substantially. Even Boeing had trouble with lithium batteries catching fire in the 787. 

In engineering it's all about compromise. A smartphone is a compromise of performance, cost and reliability. In the interests of keeping costs controlled, Samsung didn't build in proper controls into their fast charging protocol. They may have great charging performance at a reasonable cost, but sacrificed safety and reliability in the process.  

The whole thing is that outside of Apple, Samsung builds the best hardware. If they are having these kinds of troubles at this price point in competing with the iPhone, it means the rest of the industry is going to some real difficulties moving forward in competing with Apple on a hardware basis. Even Paul Thurrott, the ultimate Windows apologist called out Microsoft regarding the unreliability of the Surface machines' hardware. 

I seriously looked at the Surface. Decided against buying one based on the reports of the hardware's unreliable nature. Decided that a MacBook Pro would be a far better machine to run Windows. If Intel would just deliver the goods regarding Kaby Lake... 

Apple's hardware is still in a class of its own. The fact that Samsung and Microsoft are experiencing these types of problems speaks volumes of Apple's expertise. 
    albegarccalilollivermuadibeDeelron
  • Reply 32 of 58
    ZarkinZarkin Posts: 16member
    Well ya gotta admit they are pretty nice, until they explode.
    caliJack Cardiac
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Get 'em while they're hot!
    lollivermuadibejfc1138[Deleted User]caliJack Cardiac
  • Reply 34 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    sales are exploding! uh oh so are the phones!

Hot new product!

Galaxy sales go supernova!

Galaxy goes Big Bang!
    calimuadibe
  • Reply 35 of 58
    mobius said:
    You're exploding it wrong!

That's the best comment on this story so far!!! I'm still laughing.... :D
    mobius
  • Reply 36 of 58
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Samsung's engineers should be better than this. In their quest to outdo the iPhone, they must be taking design shortcuts. 

Apple's hardware is still in a class of its own. The fact that Samsung and Microsoft are experiencing these types of problems speaks volumes of Apple's expertise. 
    i thought it was 3rd party cheap cable.... when you go for fast charging, resistor and shielding are important... low cost 3rd party stuff sounds like playing fire to me.  Especially, there are lesson learned by engineer before.  I guess you really need  to educate your customer base to avoid knock  off accessories, like cables and chargers (use to be counterfit  batteries).  http://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/
    regadless samsung or apple, the problem is how to get the chaps not using the low cost stuff.  
    singularity
  • Reply 37 of 58
    You charged it?!?  Well, there's yer problem.

"Samsung.   Innovation you can believe in."
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Okay, how much is Samsung Note 7 again? If they are in the range of $150-300, I can sort of understand. This is so embarrassing for $1000 phone. And the worse thing is, Samsung will get away with it - as usual. If this was iPhone...
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 58
    I doth name thee "Boom-gate"
  • Reply 40 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Wow, should have stuck to throttling!
    pscooter63