Samsung announces Gear S3 iOS-compatible smartwatches, one with LTE

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Wednesday, Samsung updated its Tizen-based smartwatch offerings with the LTE-connected Gear S3 Frontier and wi-fi Gear S3 Classic, promisimg iOS compatibility for both at some point.

The Gear S3 smartwatch is powered by a dual-core 1.0 GHz processor driving a 1.3-inch circular 278 ppi AMOLED display. Both models have 4 GB of storage, and 768 MB of application RAM.

Connectivity is provided with 3G/LTE wireless on the Gear S3 Frontier. Both models have Bluetooth 4.2, 802.11n wi-fi, and NFC. Sensors included on both models are an accelerometer, a gyro, a barometer, a heart rate monitor and an ambient light detector.

The new devices are large at 12.9mm thick, and either weighs 57g or 62g depending on model. For comparison, the Apple Watch 42mm model is 10.5mm thick and weighs 50g.

Both watches use the newly-announced Corning Gorilla Glass SR+, specifically designed for wearable devices. Samsung notes that both devices meet IP68 standards for water resistance.

Samsung claims that both the Gear S3 Classic and Gear S3 Frontier will be iOS compatible. However, Samsung also declared that iOS support would come to the older the Gear S2, and that has yet to materialize.

Pricing or release dates have not yet been announced. Apple is rumored to update the Apple Watch in the forthcoming "See you on the 7th" event, scheduled for Sept. 7, but a LTE radio is not among the expected upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Now you can blow up your ear ánd your wrist!
    foljslkruppsricecalilolliverEsquireCats
  • Reply 2 of 73
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    Here is the proof that Tim and Jony's Apple is an elephant that can't dance. 

And why this sole Samsung related story is being reported on Apple Insider...
    freshmaker
  • Reply 3 of 73
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    how long does the battery last... ? 3 hours?
  • Reply 4 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    how long does the battery last... ? 3 hours?
    Not if you get the Samsung Galaxy Gear battery backpack! 
    calilolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 73
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Say what you will, its a good looking watch. It may be the photography, the presentation, or the lack of scale on someones wrist, but its not a bad looking watch. I imagine it doesn't look that good in person, but A for effort to Samsung, they are pushing hard and competition is good.
    singularitysricefreshmakercnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    bobroo said:

Scroll down a few stories.
    ronnroundaboutnowcalipscooter63lolliverjbdragonslprescottjony0
  • Reply 7 of 73
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    bobroo said:

The proof being a pair of crappy watches that nobody will buy?
    lkruppcalilolliverration aljbdragonjony0
  • Reply 8 of 73
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    xzu said:
    Say what you will, its a good looking watch. It may be the photography, the presentation, or the lack of scale on someones wrist, but its not a bad looking watch.
    In the photo its a 3D rendering, not even a photograph of the real thing.

It's also the fact that it has LTE, so battery life will be like 2 hours.
    edited August 2016 nolamacguycalianantksundaramlolliverjony0
  • Reply 9 of 73
    No price, no availability and according to the Verge article "Samsung says it’s shooting for three to four days of battery life for the S3 — including for the LTE model — though its final measurements apparently haven’t come in yet." 

It'll be far more 
    interesting (one way or another) when those aspects are accounted for, particularly if the actual iOS support ever materializes. 
    ronn
  • Reply 10 of 73
    bobroo said:

Not certain what you are getting at, but stories regarding Samsung are quite common on AI. 

Perhaps the stories don't meet with your approval like an earlier one today that provided information about the exploding battery in the new Galaxy S7. 

How about the one regarding the scratchable screen by soft objects with MOHs score of 3 again on Samsung's newest smartphone flagship. 

I will wait on the release of the Apple Watch 2 and give the market some time before deciding if I even want a smart watch. By then the Samsung product can be had for $50 if I would even want one.  If the Gear watch explodes, I'll take a pass altogether. 

Apple's hardware is still top notch. 
    ronncalilolliverration al
  • Reply 11 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Poor clowns on MR think this is good design. It's a weak, play-it-safe, backward looking design. Apple gets accused of fashion, but Samsung goes for fashion over function and Apple beats them at both. Embarrassing company. Give them a few years and pretty much none of Samsung's watches will be round.
    edited August 2016 calilolliverration alpscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 73
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,330member
    Reviewers should post a picture of the Apple Watch 42mm and the Gear S3 side by side. 

These S3s are hockey puck sided monstrosities.

rogifan_newcalipscooter63lolliverration al
  • Reply 13 of 73
    jsmythe00 said:

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout
    Do you have the small watch?  I haven't had trouble with a 2-3 hour workout with the 42mm watch.  You might want to investigate.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    lolliverration alkevin kee
  • Reply 15 of 73
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    These things are huge. They would look ridiculous on my wrist.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 73
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jkichline said:
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    The only reason people like them is because they look like a mechanical watch. So why not just buy a mechanical watch then? At least battery life would be better.
    calilolliverration al
  • Reply 17 of 73
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    jsmythe00 said:
    I agree with XZU. At first glance this is a nice looking watch. Sort of like the fossil brand. As for battery, I bet it's better than the Apple Watch. 

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout. 

I hate Samsung as much as the next guy but their watch and their note 7 look good. 

Their watch looks good  - if you like traditional watches. Which is fine and I get it, but I prefer a watch to look, not like what it used to be but rather what it is. The thing that you are missing here though, is that this thing is 13mm thick. So a traditional watch which this tries to mimic, that is 13mm thick (over half an inch), is not really a good looking watch at all. 
    lolliverDeelronration alpscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 73
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bobroo said:
    here is proof that we get the same trolls saying the same FUD. you have a disease.
    edited August 2016 calilolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 73
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

jsmythe00 said:
    I agree with XZU. At first glance this is a nice looking watch. Sort of like the fossil brand. As for battery, I bet it's better than the Apple Watch. 

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout. 

I hate Samsung as much as the next guy but their watch and their note 7 look good. 
    bullshit -- I track 2-hour workouts in the AW app and it doesn't come close to killing the battery. plenty left at bed time. 

anybody who claims the AW has lousy battery doesn't use one. 
    edited August 2016 revenantcaliSolianantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 20 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jkichline said:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s3-frontier-vs-gear-s3-classic-vs-apple-watch-what-difference-which-better-1578923

Apple Watch 42mmSamsung Gear S3 FrontierSamsung Gear S3 Classic
    Display1.65in AMOLED, 390 x 3121.3in AMOLED, 360 x 3601.3in AMOLED, 360 x 360
    ProcessorApple S1, 520MHzDual-core, 1GHzDual-Core, 1GHz
    Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Battery250mAh, 22 hours380mAh, up to four days380mAh, up to four days
    SoftwarewatchOS 2TizenTizen
    Dimensions42 x 35.9 x 10.5mm, 50g (body only)46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 62g46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 59g
    Water resistance1 metre for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes
    edited August 2016