Samsung announces Gear S3 iOS-compatible smartwatches, one with LTE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Underwhelming and way too chunky.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

jsmythe00 said:
    I agree with XZU. At first glance this is a nice looking watch. Sort of like the fossil brand. As for battery, I bet it's better than the Apple Watch. 

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout. 

I hate Samsung as much as the next guy but their watch and their note 7 look good. 
    bullshit -- I track 2-hour workouts in the AW app and it doesn't come close to killing the battery. plenty left at bed time. 

anybody who claims the AW has lousy battery doesn't use one. 
    They plan on 3-4 days under normal usage on the wifi/BT version- compare Apple Watch to that, not the LTE version. That is better battery life than apples- you cannot deny that. 
    I would still buy an Apple Watch before Samsung though- I enjoy originality and seamless hardware/software. 
    calilolliver
  • Reply 23 of 73
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    You can just build and throw anything at market even not prime ready. That is so called hastily built first but not done right.It has become fashion in gadget industry and scam to suck money from the early adopters..
    edited August 2016 cali
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Unfortunately, this is a game of trying to steal the thunder. Samsung is especially good it. In reality, such a thick watch (1/2 inch) will catch everywhere, on your pocket, purses, etc. Looks without basic functionality are like manikins.
    lolliver
  • Reply 25 of 73
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Will the cheap one spontaneously explode or do I have to buy the more expensive one for that?
    calilolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cpsro said:
    Will the cheap one spontaneously explode or do I have to buy the more expensive one for that?
    No the watch only works as a trigger. :)
    pscooter63revenant
  • Reply 27 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Looks like a piece of sh** $2 watch I can buy at a mom and pop store.

anyone saying this is "elegant" is full of sh**.
    lolliverpscooter63ireland
  • Reply 28 of 73

jsmythe00 said:
    I agree with XZU. At first glance this is a nice looking watch. Sort of like the fossil brand. As for battery, I bet it's better than the Apple Watch. 

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout. 

I hate Samsung as much as the next guy but their watch and their note 7 look good. 
    bullshit -- I track 2-hour workouts in the AW app and it doesn't come close to killing the battery. plenty left at bed time. 

anybody who claims the AW has lousy battery doesn't use one. 
    I wouldn't go as far as you, even though the size of the battery has been more than I've needed for workouts 2-3 hours long.  

My wife, having the smaller watch, and hence smaller battery would not be able to have as long a workout without it being a problem - that being said, 2 hours isn't a problem for her watch.  The only time I've had trouble is when I've forgotten to exit the workout :)  .
    There have been times my wife's watch has ran out of power for a couple days in a row, and on days when not working out.   Rebooting resolved the issue.  

So, I would suggest people who say they are having battery issues should investigate as the battery shouldn't die after a 2 hour workout.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s3-frontier-vs-gear-s3-classic-vs-apple-watch-what-difference-which-better-1578923

Apple Watch 42mmSamsung Gear S3 FrontierSamsung Gear S3 Classic
    Display1.65in AMOLED, 390 x 3121.3in AMOLED, 360 x 3601.3in AMOLED, 360 x 360
    ProcessorApple S1, 520MHzDual-core, 1GHzDual-Core, 1GHz
    Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Battery250mAh, 22 hours380mAh, up to four days380mAh, up to four days
    SoftwarewatchOS 2TizenTizen
    Dimensions42 x 35.9 x 10.5mm, 50g (body only)46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 62g46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 59g
    Water resistance1 metre for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes
    Those measurements are not accurate for the Watch.

Here's the 42mm Watch case measurements from the Official Apple Band Design Guidelines:

42.5 x 38.03 x 12.46mm

Also, the Watch does not include the lug measurements which is why the Samsung measures larger than 46mm top to bottom. It's also the reason the watch industry measures their watches horizontally, rather than vertically as Apple does. But the Samsung may include the control buttons in their measurements as well. The Watch lugs adds 3.46mm to each side. So the true measurements for a 42mm Watch are:

49.42 x 38.03 x 12.46mm

When you consider any round watch is wider than any square watch, that's not really a compromise, but an expectation. 

So here's the actual comparison:

Apple Watch 49.42 x 38.03 x 12.46mm
    Samsung S 49.00 x 46.00 x 12.9mm

https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf
  • Reply 30 of 73
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:
    No the watch only works as a trigger.
    And it works with competitors' products like the iPhone? I should have guessed then it would be a trigger.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 31 of 73
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jkichline said:
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    So now we're looking to Android for the benchmark of what's possible in UI design? 

I'd say this proves otherwise in a 1:1 comparison between an Watch and a Moto 360:

Note all the unused space, even with the flat tire. Now here's the same exact text display optimized for the Moto:

You see that so much more text can be included in the round display than with the Watch square display. Now imagine if this were a Huawei, and not the moto with the flat tire. There's a lot more space to optimize per task.

So no matter how you slice it, a similarly sized round watch even displays text better than the Watch for applications that require that. Of course the Watch gains the lead again when they get rid of those bezels, but for the last 2 years, round watches technically have had the advantage, whether they utilized it effectively or not. If Apple keeps the exact same display and bezels, then that advantage continues on for other manufactures to capitalize on it.
    anantksundaramgatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 73
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s3-frontier-vs-gear-s3-classic-vs-apple-watch-what-difference-which-better-1578923

Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Dimensions42 x 35.9 x 10.5mm, 50g (body only)46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 62g46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 59g
    Water resistance1 metre for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes
    Um...what? Hello!? Specs comparisons? Really? Did we somehow get into a time machine and rediscover 1998?
    edited August 2016 lollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:

I don't think "360 × 360" is an accurate way to compare a round display with a rectangle display when those values are used to determine the number of pixels. Why not at least indicate that it's a round display, or state the 360px as a diameter? I really don't expect it to be listed as π1802, but that would be helpful to some, or at least note the number of pixels.

edited August 2016
  • Reply 34 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:

Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Um...what? Hello!? Specs comparisons? Really? Did we somehow get into a time machine and rediscover 1998?
    I don't think a spec comparison is out of line on a tech forum. I was happy to see the data listed in columns next to each other. I think everyone here knows, especially GG, that specs are just a starting point, and that certain specs, like stated battery life, need independent testing. I can go about two days with my Watch with normal use.

PS: Over a year and Watch is still the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night.
    lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 73
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
  • Reply 36 of 73
    bobroo said:
    Here is the proof that Tim and Jony's Apple is an elephant that can't dance. 

And why this sole Samsung related story is being reported on Apple Insider...
    He's a proof that you talk total garbage. Yep, you proved it.

irelandnolamacguyericthehalfbee
  • Reply 37 of 73
    xzu said:
    Say what you will, its a good looking watch. It may be the photography, the presentation, or the lack of scale on someones wrist, but its not a bad looking watch. I imagine it doesn't look that good in person, but A for effort to Samsung, they are pushing hard and competition is good.
    its ALWAYS the photography, find a photo of any of the current batch of watches and they always look 10 x better in photo than in person.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    jkichline said:

This watch is almost 50% bigger than the biggest Apple Watch.
    Apple will cram the GPS in a smaller watch and I bet it gets better battery too; lets see.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:

Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Read the post that was in reply to and it will make complete sense to you. I'm surprised you didn't see that. 
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Samsung is stepping up. Good for them. Lets see what Apple has in store for their watch next week.