Mossberg: Steve Jobs continued work on Apple television set after resignation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

ArmDog said:
    Who really knows what he was talking about.

Still took Apple another 4 years to release the latest Apple TV and it failed to have 4K capability.
    Doesn't have 4K because Apple doesn't seem the least bit interested in future proofing any of their products.
    Give it up please.  This has been hashed over a million times.  Apple will support 4k and even 8k when the time is right, fear not.
    I didn't say they were never going to support it I said they're not interested in future proofing products. They need the upgrade cycle to keep humming along.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Doesn't have 4K because Apple doesn't seem the least bit interested in future proofing any of their products.
    Give it up please.  This has been hashed over a million times.  Apple will support 4k and even 8k when the time is right, fear not.
    It's such a weird statement given that it's Apple's products that are updated and usable for years do to long-term SW updates, and quality design/manufacturing, respectively.
    brucemc
  • Reply 23 of 40
    I love how an idea from SJ, perfected under R&D wrap for many years in Apple HQ, and somehow Google and Samsung manage to steal the thunders.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    kevin kee said:
    I love how an idea from SJ, perfected under R&D wrap for many years in Apple HQ, and somehow Google and Samsung manage to steal the thunders.
    What do you mean?
    Soliroundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 40
    ...Watching the events you wanted when you wanted at the Rio Olympics on the Apple TV without all that ridiculous 'back story' crap and millions of ads was pure magic.
    Wait, was this possible on ATV3? Watching Olympics on NBC was such a chore that I ended up missing a bunch of it. The NBC app on iOS was difficult for me as well.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    ArmDog said:
    Almost 5 years since Jobs passing and all we have gotten is a watch that has gotten  lukewarm reception.

Nothing really else seems to be coming out.

Yeah, a car I guess and I am real skeptical about that. Just WAY out of Apple's wheel house.

Wasn't a phone out of apple's wheel house back in the day? They were an MP3 and computer company, after all.
    They made a computer that could make phone calls. 
  • Reply 28 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Soli said:
    "I'm still rocking the 3rd gen model. I have no reason to update until 4K is available..."

Still on gen3 too - like others , I don't currently have 4k, so, no hurry there.
    But my own "I have no reason to update" is, until I can decide what sorts of things to store on it myself,
    or until Apple creates a more reliable cloud environment, or both.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    kevin kee said:
    From what I understand, the Chromecast is a fine little device and represents good value (my daughter has one and enjoys it), but three positive reviews of the Chromecast do not strike me as being indicative of Google and Samsung "stealing any thunder" (Samsung not even mentioned in those reviews).

So the question still stands: "What do you mean?"

anantksundaramwilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 40
    If by some stroke of luck Apple is able to strike up a deal that allows them to stream their iTunes content for a monthly fee, it's then I believe they should come out with a legit Apple TV set, screen and all.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    "Apple weighed its options and ultimately took a different tack and positioned itself as a player in the set-top streaming business with Apple TV"

Way to bend history guys! This phrasing implies that Apple TV came out after 2011, when Apple TV long existed before that, first one being introduced 9 years ago by Steve Jobs and having a modified OS X and large HDD, basically a gutted Mac mini. Steve also oversaw it becoming the small black box it is now in September 2010.

I will give you better evidence that the TV project existed. In early 2011 Apple used Futureshop, the largest Canadian electronics retailer that since was bought and absorbed by Best Buy to send a survey on its behalf. That was sneaky, as it was not clear it came from Apple but based on its questions it certainly was. The survey would probe for market interest in a full-fledged TV set from Apple, and ask questions about price people would be willing to pay, sizes of screen (27, 50"), likelihood of one buying it, how many Apple products one already owned, etc. it was a standard 10-20 question survey and I remember taking it and thinking how odd it was that it mentined a potential TV from Apple etc while this whole product was supposed to be super secret. I found it odd that the retailer would ask people on whether there was market interest for an upcoming Apple product, the only explanation would be it did it on behalf of Apple. It just seemed odd on so many levels, because one always heard Apple never does market research.

I guess Steve felt it may be a flop akin to the fancy Apple speaker and the Mac cube, a fancy and expensive TV set that nobody would buy. So perhaps in this one case he gave his blessing for Apple to conduct a thorough market research. It seems they ultimately decided that the project wasn't going to be successful and they beefed up the Apple TV instead with the 4th release last October, which includes apps and touch remote with Siri. That interface might have been part of Steve's idea for the actual Apple TV.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Gene Munster just wet himself.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I still love this design.

Soli
  • Reply 34 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:

It's such a weird statement given that it's Apple's products that are updated and usable for years do to long-term SW updates, and quality design/manufacturing, respectively.
    I don't understand your reply.  I was discussing the current Apple TV, if indeed it can be updated to run 4k or if there will be a Mark V that does , then in either case my point that Apple 'will support 4K when the time is right' holds.
  • Reply 35 of 40

...Watching the events you wanted when you wanted at the Rio Olympics on the Apple TV without all that ridiculous 'back story' crap and millions of ads was pure magic.
    Wait, was this possible on ATV3? Watching Olympics on NBC was such a chore that I ended up missing a bunch of it. The NBC app on iOS was difficult for me as well.
    No, just the new one as it is an tvOS app (worth the cost of the new Apple TV alone! ) It had a filter so you could narrow the list to events you wanted on the fly and easily change it when desired.  They had every single event live or if you wanted you could watch any one in full re-play some time later.  You just had one ad at the start and a few during a long event but zero back to the studio interviews and sob stories.  Some events didn't have any commentary which was fine.  It even had all the stations such as NBC, NBC Sports MSNBC and others that were within the app yet identical to the live cable stations but all in one place (no trying to figure out what fricking numbers to press on a Comcast remote) and weirdly, on my set up the stations seen within the App had a far better picture quality than the cable equivalents.  The final coup de grace was I discovered while messing around, a channel with all the F1 races live plus all past ones so I binge watched the entire F1 Season to date too (I admit I fast forwarded through in places as they are very long).
    edited September 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 36 of 40

I still love this design.

Just look at that list of names too!  Just awesome.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    The new Apple TV is a good product, with potential to be great. I especially love the new Apple TV Remote app for the phone. This could crack it open for gaming. The problem apple faces is content. Some people suggest Apple should buy Netflix. But Netflix has the same problem. Remember when you could get almost anything on Netflix back in the DVDs by mail era? What happened? With streaming, most content except for popular and new releases is unavailable. This is deliberate, on the part of the copyright holders. They want to create scarcity to drive up prices.
  • Reply 38 of 40

ArmDog said:
    Who really knows what he was talking about.

Still took Apple another 4 years to release the latest Apple TV and it failed to have 4K capability.
    the nearly year-old ATV doesn't have 4K because people like me have 1080p sets (superior Panasomic plasma in my case) and don't plan on replacing it until 4K is very mainstream in hardware and content, and the definitive replacement for LCD is here and affordable. easily another year to go, at which point the 4th gen ATV will be two years old -- and due for an upgrade. 

apple is not an early adopter of tech. you know this. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 40
    lmac said:
    The new Apple TV is a good product, with potential to be great. I especially love the new Apple TV Remote app for the phone. This could crack it open for gaming. The problem apple faces is content. Some people suggest Apple should buy Netflix. But Netflix has the same problem. Remember when you could get almost anything on Netflix back in the DVDs by mail era? What happened? With streaming, most content except for popular and new releases is unavailable. This is deliberate, on the part of the copyright holders. They want to create scarcity to drive up prices.
    you answered your own question. with DVDs, Netflix can rent you anything that's been pressed and Hollywood has no say and gets no revenue other than sales of the discs. Hollywood saw Netflix's business, got greedier, and changed the rules (licensing) for digital streaming. they are solely responsible for the lousy offerings and stupidly high rental prices & terms on iTunes. 
  • Reply 40 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I don't understand your reply.  I was discussing the current Apple TV, if indeed it can be updated to run 4k or if there will be a Mark V that does , then in either case my point that Apple 'will support 4K when the time is right' holds.
    I was referring to rogifan's replay, which you quoted, that stated, Apple "is the least bit interested in future proofing any of their products."