Samsung stops shipments of 'exploding' Galaxy Note 7 phones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    muadibe said:
    "Apple has reached out"
    Apple Insider has reached out?
    They sometimes get confused about what this site is called.  ;)
    Jack Cardiac
  • Reply 42 of 58

The Next Big Thing Is Here

Exploding phones. 
    Spontaneous Samsung Combustion.
    Jack Cardiac
  • Reply 43 of 58
    You know, as Steve used to say, “BOOM!”.

• Reply 44 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    Meh, Samsung gets a pass on stuff like this. It probably won’t even make it to c|net or the Register. Now if this were an iPhone well then we’d have a story on our hands.
    It did make 'The Register'
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/31/exploding_phablet_phears_phorce_galaxy_delay/

But getting a light reception.

For any device to fail like this means that there is a very serious problem. Extra quality control won't make it any better if there is as expected a design fault in the device (over voltage/current detection circuitry) then this is serious. But as it is Samsung, most sites will give them a free ride.
    I can only hope that there isn't a similar issue with any Apple device in the near future. Those who delight in shorting APPL will make a killing.

• Reply 45 of 58
    What's hilarious to me here is, where is Forbes with their Samsung loving staff on this topic. Hey guys it's a MASSIVE problem. No seriously this time! Side bar: If Apple so much as has a noted bug description on a software update it points to a "MASSIVE underlying problem at Apple". 
    Massive is the latest goto word when there is nothing to write about in tech. So what exactly would this be? I Would have guessed they would be all over it for clicks if nothing else. Ah yes the free pass. Why? Because Samsung doesn't exactly beat apple, they just rush to be first to say they did it: it's bigger, it's better and Has this amazing hardware spec that nobody can stack up against, and oh, don't bother being patient. You can have it all right now. 

Perhaps this is why iPhones hold thier value so well?
    could this happen to Apple? Perhaps. But then again,  You get what you pay for folks. Yes Apple makes mistakes, but at least basic build quality is still the first priority. Samsung just takes reverse engineering and intellectual theft waaaaaay to much to heart.
    This is what they get trying to be first to launch and hoping to snatch would be 7plus customers....The epitome of "Poetic justice". I think the one thing they need to understand is that consumer trust is earned, not bestowed. The Haters don't get that part either. 

Samsung once proudly said how some companies are "new" to the phablet market and they were the most experienced in this area. If these handsets are truly this dangerous, it makes me pause and wonder how any company with this much market share could be so negligent. Yes their panel technology is outstanding in many areas but they need to stop caring about being first to launch and care more about real innovation which in turn means quality control. This type of fail is why I won't buy anything Samsung ever again. My first Samsung phone also overheated on my bed once with an Oem charging cord. Never ever again. This isn't about android vs iOS. This is about the consequences of a company that takes the cheaper, faster route as a rule. 

calikevin kee
  • Reply 46 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    How can we make this go viral? YouTube videos covering this have about 20 views each.

lets set up a hashtag and post on social media.

I'm sick of shit like this being swept under the rug but 14 iPhones bend and it's a circus.

I will email tech sites about coverage.
    albegarc
  • Reply 47 of 58
    The Big Bang Theory, sponsored by the Samsung Galaxy Note 7
  • Reply 48 of 58
    jfc1138 said:
    How could a non-Samsung cable cause the battery to overload? I could see a bad charger but a mere cable?
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/19/third-party-chargers-lightning-cables-reportedly-damage-iphone-power-management-ic-

if you use a dodgy cable then you can be in a world of pain. Though if this isn't due to bad chargers/cables then its a massive shot to the foot for Samsung.

That's skeptical. It doesn't matter if the supply to your phone is only 1A or 100A - the charger circuitry inside the phone is what regulates the current. What "could" damage a phone would be excessive voltage (like the 5V supply rail possibly coming into contact with live AC mains voltage, due to poor isolation/construction of the charger).

The real funny part of this is when an iPhone has a problem and a cable is suspected (like people being electrocuted - which is absolutely caused by poor insulation in the charger), the haters come out with their explanation of charging circuitry and how it's internal to the phone. But when this story for Samsung first broke, suddenly it's all in the cable and nothing to do with internal circuitry.

Except, of course, the part where Samsung stopped production to investigate. Meaning they KNOW they have a problem.
    There may well be a charging problem however is seems to be more basic than that. These phones are exploding in transit to the customers. In other words, before the customer has a chance to charge it for the first time. 
    Jack Cardiac
  • Reply 49 of 58
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    something didn't add up: note 7 must pass telco test, that should including charge the phone somewhere down to the line and EMI testing around USB or other slot.  why it is not catch such a fault?  (by telco or by samsung internal test plan).  Unless something different of the test handsets and commercial handsets, and/or the test plan lacking the fault coverage (look like battery is built in, can't be counterfit.  I assume the phone package should including native charger... how could that "boom" happen?  if it is vendor parts compatibility issue, it should be "boom"ed during the in house testing, not after passed telco test).  something really strange.  
  • Reply 50 of 58
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    1st said:
    something didn't add up: note 7 must pass telco test, that should including charge the phone somewhere down to the line and EMI testing around USB or other slot.  why it is not catch such a fault?  (by telco or by samsung internal test plan).  Unless something different of the test handsets and commercial handsets, and/or the test plan lacking the fault coverage (look like battery is built in, can't be counterfit.  I assume the phone package should including native charger... how could that "boom" happen?  if it is vendor parts compatibility issue, it should be "boom"ed during the in house testing, not after passed telco test).  something really strange.  
    Samsung can shave several months off the development cycle by taking shortcuts on testing. This can certainly cut costs and get new products to market faster.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Icisz said:
    What's hilarious to me here is, where is Forbes with their Samsung loving staff on this topic. Hey guys it's a MASSIVE problem. No seriously this time! Side bar: If Apple so much as has a noted bug description on a software update it points to a "MASSIVE underlying problem at Apple". 
    Massive is the latest goto word when there is nothing to write about in tech. So what exactly would this be? I Would have guessed they would be all over it for clicks if nothing else. Ah yes the free pass. Why? Because Samsung doesn't exactly beat apple, they just rush to be first to say they did it: it's bigger, it's better and Has this amazing hardware spec that nobody can stack up against, and oh, don't bother being patient. You can have it all right now. 

could this happen to Apple? Perhaps. But then again,  You get what you pay for folks. Yes Apple makes mistakes, but at least basic build quality is still the first priority. Samsung just takes reverse engineering and intellectual theft waaaaaay to much to heart.
    This is what they get trying to be first to launch and hoping to snatch would be 7plus customers....The epitome of "Poetic justice". I think the one thing they need to understand is that consumer trust is earned, not bestowed. The Haters don't get that part either. 

Samsung once proudly said how some companies are "new" to the phablet market and they were the most experienced in this area. If these handsets are truly this dangerous, it makes me pause and wonder how any company with this much market share could be so negligent. Yes their panel technology is outstanding in many areas but they need to stop caring about being first to launch and care more about real innovation which in turn means quality control. This type of fail is why I won't buy anything Samsung ever again. My first Samsung phone also overheated on my bed once with an Oem charging cord. Never ever again. This isn't about android vs iOS. This is about the consequences of a company that takes the cheaper, faster route as a rule. 

I like your post. Keep posting.

Also, note that Iris Scanner is one of those "throw things on wall and see which one will stick". Samsung, consumer is not your guinea pig. If you want to release something innovative, make sure take your time to research and testing. It takes 9 years for first iPhone to release, it is not just a year in development.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    I am glad as a current Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Owner that Samsung is smart enough to do the right thing and recall. Apple has never done a recall even though they should on the iPhone 6th gen due to touch disease. I understand that Apple's issue isn't a matter of safety however it's a matter of standing behind your product and fixing their mistake. Which they refuse to acknowledge and fix.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Icisz said:

where have you been living under a rock samsung's been releasing their phone before apple for the last few and Apple has very bad build quality. I could care less about them bending however the touch disease and black corners that they experience isn't good especially with Apple sweeping it under the rug. I would like to see Apple own their mistake and do a recall to when they have far more phones out there affected by this issue. This isn't about samsung versus apple it's about standing behind your product and fixing your mistakes which Apple refuses to do.

• Reply 54 of 58
    Anyone know why there is no mention of this on Macrumors? /S
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Anyone know why there is no mention of this on Macrumors? /S
    Apart from this http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/01/samsung-exploding-batteries-recall-galaxy-note-7/

• Reply 56 of 58
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    I am glad as a current Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Owner that Samsung is smart enough to do the right thing and recall. Apple has never done a recall even though they should on the iPhone 6th gen due to touch disease. I understand that Apple's issue isn't a matter of safety however it's a matter of standing behind your product and fixing their mistake. Which they refuse to acknowledge and fix.
    you  only issue recall when you have replacement part that sure enough not have same problem, or even only have less of the same problem (any recall, you write off another few units' profit.  therefore, you dont see recall for the occational process related defects - repair or overhual are usually done, only the problem is cause major damages or design flaw that impede functions (such as note).  IMHO. 
  • Reply 57 of 58
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple has never done a recall even though they should on the iPhone 6th gen due to touch disease.
    It would be insane to recall something that isn't a safety issue. Let's assume that there is some sort of design/component/manufacturing flaw that causes the touch disease -- even if it were to affect 25% of the fleet -- then repair the failed ones on Apple's dime but don't replace millions of perfectly good ones.