Samsung Galaxy Note 7 bursting battery shipment stop may escalate to a recall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
The hold on Samsung Galaxy Note 7 shipments because of quality issues that began on Wednesday may escalate to a wider consumer recall for the device, according to reports out of South Korea.

According to the Korea Herald, stories of bursting batteries have escalated in recent days. As a result, Samsung is said to be considering a wide-scale battery replacement program for the phone.

While Samsung produces the phone's individual lithium-ion battery cells, the complete battery assembly is manufactured by others. The flaw appears to be related to manufacturer ITM Semiconductor, the producer of nearly all of the Galaxy Note 7 batteries for the South Korean market.

The U.S. and international models of the Galaxy Note 7 have slightly different hardware configurations. However, AppleInsider has learned that some of the models shipped to the U.S. have the potentially problematic ITM Semiconductor battery installed -- the same model as found in all of the bursting phones in Korea.

If a lithium-ion battery is compromised by overcharge, overheating, damage, or simply age, the inner cells can "outgas" the contained flammable electrolyte mixture. An undamaged battery membrane will stretch and bulge to contain this material to some extent, but at some point the membrane will rupture explosively -- which appears to have caused the explosions as depicted in South Korean social media venues.

Wednesday's shipment delay came in response to a flurry of posts on Korean social media showing destroyed phones. A Samsung statement about the stop was terse, saying only that "shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality."

It is still not known what markets the shipment hold applies to. AppleInsider has also learned that some AT&T corporate-owned stores in the U.S. are holding existing stock for clarification of the issue.
tallest skil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Perfect timing... right before Apple announces its next iPhone.... "the safe alternative."

Nice.
    igorskymobiussmaceslinsockrolidcalilevialbegarcwelshdogpalominejbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Am I the only one who's a little aroused by this headline? There's something supremely satisfying in seeing a shitbag company like Samsung get some comeuppance.
    edited September 2016 mobiuslmagoosockrolidcalialbegarcgilly017anantksundaramSpamSandwichmagman1979Popper12
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Too soon?

smaceslinbigsockrolidcalimacseekerboltsfan17albegarcgilly017apple ][nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 50
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I feel sorry for the customers, and I hope no-one gets hurt. However, I have to admit to feeling some satisfaction to seeing Samsung fail so badly like this. Yes, Apple fail too but Samsung deserves some bad karma after all the bad practices they are guilty of.
    edited September 2016 lmagoobigalbegarcgilly017igorskymagman1979Popper12palominelolliver
  • Reply 5 of 50
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Uhh, the exploding battery is considered a feature by Samsung.  Read the fine print.
    lmagoobigsockrolidcalimagman1979Popper12jbdragonlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 50
    I guess they really were selling like hotcakes, huh?
    bigmarcusl1984cyberzombiesockrolidlkruppmuadibemagman1979jbdragontallest skillolliver
  • Reply 7 of 50
    I deal with LiPo batteries in the RC hobby...when they first came out years ago many of us (me Included) were exploding (when they catch fire they give off Hydrogen gas when water is used to put them out ) the batteries when chargers were not as sophisticated as they are now with Balanced Cell smart chargers...I guess Sammy just did not do their homework very well...Have to admit it's a little funny...my guess is the owners fail to see the humor...
    bigcalisockrolidPopper12
  • Reply 8 of 50
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Free security updates for the life of the product, or until the fire dies down, whichever comes first.
    edited September 2016 gilly017calilmagooigorskyPopper12lolliver[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 50
    It's the Mission Impossible phone. After you use your Iris to unlock your top-secret mission report, the phone self destructs.
    calislprescottmobiusgilly017nolamacguylmagoojkichlinemagman1979Popper12lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 50
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    You're burning it wrong.
    gilly017radarthekatigorskymagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Too soon?

Awesome!! Let's make these viral!
    sockrolidSpamSandwichmagman1979Popper12marcusl1984lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Samsung planned for that. Customers who pay full price for the first unit get a second unit for free.
    slprescottPopper12palominelolliver
  • Reply 13 of 50
    The Next Big Thing™ is on fire!
    muadibegilly017caliSpamSandwichmarcusl1984igorskyPopper12lolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 50
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Samsung should send all Galaxy Note 7's to Black Rock City, Nevada.
    To make the Burning Man finale extra-crispy.
    caliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Samsung planned for that. Customers who pay full price for the first unit get a second unit for free.
    Gotcha -  the "Destroy (er... mean BUY one), get one free" makes sense after all! and removes all the scratches too, what a bargain!

I can see it now the new Samsung ad campaign "Is that a samsung I see exploding in your pocket , or are you just pleased to see me"
    edited September 2016 calimagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 50
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Too soon?

Is there a modern equivalent of Godwins Law?
  • Reply 17 of 50
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Go Tim... :smiley:
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Is that what they meant with the buy one, get one free promo?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Perfect timing... right before Apple announces its next iPhone.... "the safe alternative."

Nice.
    Indeed. I'd say Samsung just solved Apple's audio jack marketing problem. "Sure -- you can't use those $300 headphones you just bought from the Apple Store with the iPhone 7 without a dongle, but at least you won't be getting 3rd degree burns!" 
    SpamSandwichlolliver
  • Reply 20 of 50
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The recall will be smooth. /s
    anantksundaramrobm