New Beats products to be announced at Apple's Sept. 7 'iPhone 7' event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
In addition to the next-generation iPhone and a new Apple Watch, Apple is also expected to unveil new products under the Beats brand at next week's media presentation, an inadvertently sent email has revealed.
A promotional email from a Beats partner was provided to iGen.fr, revealing that "a selection of new Beats by Dre products will be unveiled" at Apple's Sept. 7 event. Lending support to the authenticity of the email, representatives from Apple-owned Beats requested that a screenshot of the note be removed from the website. It's unknown exactly what kinds of Beats products might be unveiled, but the brand is known for a variety of headphones and portable Bluetooth speakers. Apple is also expected to unveil new, entirely wireless Bluetooth earbuds dubbed "AirPods" at next week's event. Whether the product will be sold with Apple or Beats branding remains to be seen. The next-generation "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" are also expected to ship with new Lightning-connected EarPods, a switch necessitated by an anticipated elimination of the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. To date, Apple has kept Beats products largely separate from its own. Devices like the iPhone still ship with Apple-branded EarPods, while Beats headphones are sold separately.
Apple acquired the headphone maker beats for $3 billion back in 2014. Since then, Bluetooth headphones have surpassed sales of wireless models, with Beats products taking the top spot. Given Apple's expected switch to all Lightning and Bluetooth headphones, it's likely that new Beats headphones would follow that lead. Currently, none of the Beats lineup features Lightning-connected headphones, though the Beats Pill+ speaker that debuted a year ago features a female Lightning port for charging. Apple's keynote presentation begins next Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage of the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've been wanting a "Beats" keynote where they reveal innovative headphones, speakers and iPods since the acquisition.

unfortunately it seems iPods are being abandoned.
    levi
  • Reply 2 of 33
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Curious to see what the Apple designers have in mind for Beats headphones. Other than the new speakers, I believe they've all been legacy designs.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Hopefully, they hired some acoustic engineers to try and make them sound good.
    boltsfan17tallest skiluraharaBl54913
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Perhaps they will announce a BT device (with a clip) into which wired headphones can be plugged?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mike1 said:
    You should try out the new Beats Studio Wireless some time. As I've before in this Forum, they're the best pair of headphones I've ever owned. The acoustics are outstanding.
    patchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 6 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Beats need a comfort range. Beats should be aluminium.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    Are they still crappy and falling apart?

I remember people driving $300 on them and they'd fall apart weeks later.

I wanna see Apples take on headphones.
    massconn72
  • Reply 8 of 33
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Perhaps they will announce a BT device (with a clip) into which wired headphones can be plugged?
    That sounds about as appealing as running an ethernet cable from my laptop to a wifi clip on my belt. The worst of both worlds -- the hassles of a cable combined with the speed and battery issues of wireless. 
    lollivertopper24hours
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Maybe they'll release something like the Amazon Echo, only it'll be Apple shaped (not that damn pill shaped thing), integrating Siri into its core functionality.

I'm curious about the email, why are they still referring to Beats as "Beats by Dre" products and not Beats by Apple? Isn't it about time to dump the Dre?
    propod
  • Reply 10 of 33
    mike1 said:
    Solo 2 sound good. Thanfully they never went for pure sound accuracy like monitors such as the Sony's.

• Reply 11 of 33
    cali said:
    ireland said:
    Are they still crappy and falling apart?
    Reports say build quality is much better.
    lolliveranantksundaram
  • Reply 12 of 33
    mike1 said:
    Good point. Beats sound awful compared to good headphones from companies like Sennheiser and V Moda. 
    edited September 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 33

I'm curious about the email, why are they still referring to Beats as "Beats by Dre" products and not Beats by Apple? Isn't it about time to dump the Dre?
    Branding wise I'd dump the 'Dre' monamclature too. But I wouldn't say Beats by Apple. The word 'Beats' alone is perfectly fine. Aluminium, Lightning, increased comfort, further tightened audio.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 33
    It's the "airpods" to go with the headphone jack removal. 
    massconn72
  • Reply 15 of 33
    It's the "airpods" to go with the headphone jack removal. 
    The AirPods leaks are mega-sketchy. And there's not a chance in hell Apple bundles anything of the sort—if they materialise—in an iPhone box. They are a minimum $149 add-on. At a very minimum. This is Apple we're talking about.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 16 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Screw bluetooth go Wifi (or next year maybe LTE cat-0).

Think iPod Shuffle if wifi and Siri.

Clip it on at the start of the day for tunes all day.
    - Siri pings you have a message.
    - Can act as a VoIP Phone
    - Can act as Airplay headphones to Apple TV
    - Can be used to upgrade an old set of speakers.

Do the same to the Nano and you have the ultimate iPod.

juanm105
  • Reply 17 of 33
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming. Apple Watch is the new shuffle, new Nano etc. iPhone is the new iPod.
    edited September 2016 juanm105
  • Reply 18 of 33
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:
    Solo 2 sound good. Thanfully they never went for pure sound accuracy like monitors such as the Sony's.
    There are many, many people that love those legendary Sony monitors. I'm sure a Beats set would have a market niche.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    There are many, many people that love those legendary Sony monitors. I'm sure a Beats set would have a market niche.
    I don't love them: those wires = designed to break, cups = uncomfortable, sound = cold or "accurate", design = ugly, telephone coil = stupid. I use them exclusively for filming dialogue. Beats, niche? Apple need to address the Beats product line as I suggested and they'd be golden. Add a model to target the QuietComfort range with noise cancellation, around-ear, a premium level of home comfort luxury and make all their models from aluminium. They could up the comfort level on Beats Solos without sacrificing looks. They should get Apple proper on the job, or at least heavily assist the Beats team to educate them. The Pill+ surely had Apple people involved. More of this.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    ireland said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming. Apple Watch is the new shuffle, new Nano etc. iPhone is the new iPod.
    Then what I'm suggesting will be a profitable gateway device to people buying Apple watches.