Samsung issues global recall of Galaxy Note 7, replacement program announced

Posted:
in General Discussion
After a week of analysis of 35 dramatic battery failures, Samsung has issued a global recall for the Galaxy Note 7 "phablet" -- but the process will take some time, and how it will be executed is not known.

"We have received several reports of battery explosion on the Note 7 that was officially launched on August 19," said Samsung's President of Mobile Business Koh Dong-jin. "It has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem."

All customers who have purchased a Galaxy Note 7 will be able to swap the device for a new one "over the coming weeks" according to Samsung. How this will be accomplished for the hundreds of thousands of owners in the 20 countries the device is available has not been announced.

AppleInsider spoke with an AT&T corporate-owned retail store manager who told us that while they have two units in stock, they have never had any significant stock on-hand, with no more than four units arriving on any given day after launch.

"If somebody came in today for a replacement, we've got no idea how to handle it," the manager said. "We've got nothing known-good to give, and don't know when we will."

Pictures posted on social media by South Korean and U.S. owners led to a shipment hold. A Samsung statement about the issue made on Wednesday was brief, saying that "shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality."

Reviewers and YouTube examiners have also noted that the Gorilla Glass 5 used for the screen of the Galaxy Note 7 is significantly more susceptible to screen scratches than other smartphones, iPhone 6 included.

Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning responded to the user scratch testing, and called the apparent screen damage a permanent "material transfer" from the testing apparatus to the screen, and not actually scratching.
dysamorialolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    While I don't particularly care for Samsung and their practices in this case they've handled it the way they should IMHO.  They got out in front of it, admitted almost immediately that there could be a problem rather than deny or misdirect.  Instead of delay they did the right thing and recalled the potentially affected units. Not up to "kudos to Samsung" levels but they certainly handled a bad situation responsibly.
    revenantbobrooconceptvbsbrian greenchiasingularityfraccnocbuidysamoriajony0
  • Reply 2 of 80
    so ... no batgate?
    bigjbdragonbadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    While I don't particularly care for Samsung and their practices in this case they've handled it the way they should IMHO.  They got out in front of it, admitted almost immediately that there could be a problem rather than deny or misdirect.  Instead of delay they did the right thing and recalled the potentially affected units. Not up to "kudos to Samsung" levels but they certainly handled a bad situation responsibly.
    Actually they didn't have any other choice than that. Delaying and denying would have ended in serious injuries and would have costed them a LOT MORE.
    radarthekatnolamacguyalbegarcbigericthehalfbeebdkennedy1002pscooter63Deelronlostkiwidysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 80
    ATT store manager:  "We've got nothing known-good to give, and don't know when we will."

Me:  Sure you do; the replacements are called iPhones!
    topper24hoursMacPronolamacguyequality72521albegarclmagoochiastevehpalominelostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Feel the Burn....
    SpamSandwichmacxpresslmagoobigviclauyycpscooter63lostkiwisockrolidronnbadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 80
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    A tiny little bit of karmic payback going on.  Tastes sweet.  
    JanNLequality72521albegarclmagoobiglostkiwilolliverronnbadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    I am willing to stand corrected, but it seems to me the only substantive comment they've made so far is to blame suppliers. 

Perhaps it's their design principles/processes and quality control that are at issue?
    edited September 2016 albegarcbigpalominepscooter63uraharalostkiwilolliverjbdragonredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 8 of 80
    The Financial Times reports that the quality issue is 'an unexpected blow' for the South Korean technology company.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    I am more than willing to stand corrected, but the only substantive comment they've made so far is to blame suppliers. 

Perhaps its its their design principles/processes and quality control that are at issue?
    I'm not aware of Samsung blaming suppliers. 

The only statement I find from them is "shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality."  along with the official recall notice here:
    https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

I do know from comments there are some on social media who are arguing it's "somebody else's fault". I'm not aware of that being Samsung's position to pass the blame rather than owning it, but I too am more than willing to stand corrected. 
    edited September 2016 conceptvbsbigcnocbuironn
  • Reply 10 of 80
    What would Apple do? 

Deny, deny, dey. State that it only affect 0.000001% of products. 

"Your charging it wrong". 

A recall on your flagship? An unthinkable prospect from Apple. That's a fact. 
    zimmermannsingularity
  • Reply 11 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    I am more than willing to stand corrected, but the only substantive comment they've made so far is to blame suppliers. 

Perhaps its its their design principles/processes and quality control that are at issue?

The only statement I find from them is "shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality."  along with the official recall notice here:

I do know from comments there are some on social media who are arguing it's "somebody else's fault". I'm not aware of that being Samsung's position to pass the blame rather than owning it, but I too am more than willing to stand corrected. 
    Samsung will probably be very busy trying to find out how to 'test for quality' if our Samsung refrigerator is anything to go by!  ;)
  • Reply 12 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

This is what Bloomberg was reporting last night: "In response to questions on Galaxy Note7, we are conducting a thorough inspection with our partners. We will share the findings as soon as possible," Samsung said in a statement. "Samsung is fully committed to providing the highest quality products to our consumers."

I guess the interpretation of that is in the eyes of the beholder. 
    bigpscooter63lolliverronn
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Well at least they did not copy Apple battery. Did it all on their own. They should at least be proud of that.
    nolamacguypalomine
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Samsung will probably be very busy trying to find out how to 'test for quality' if our Samsung refrigerator is anything to go by!  
    Mine too. So far in the past couple of years I've emptied it twice to turn it off and let the ice buildup behind the panel melt instead of locking up the fan and burning up the motor. I love the unit otherwise but that icing issue gives it a black-eye. No idea if that class-action suit ever went forward, and I've tried to look into it. 
    edited September 2016 big
  • Reply 15 of 80
    What would Apple do? 

People were holding the iPhone 4 wrong though. It only was an issue if you had a death grip, which is wrong. 
    stevehpscooter63jbdragonronn
  • Reply 16 of 80
    the Apple haters and Samsung apologists are all over it on MR -- "at least they're honest about it", "couldn't have asked for a better response", "have to hand it to them for being in front of this" etc etc... these same people would go apeshit if this was the iPhone. 

when a phone w/ your name printed on it is blowing up and starting fires, you really have no choice but to be honest about it!
    edited September 2016 robertwalterigorskyequality72521albegarcSpamSandwichRayz2016bigpalominelostkiwisockrolid
  • Reply 17 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Kind of delicious to read the posts from AI trolls defending Samsung. The same trolls then turn around and castigate Apple users as mindless lemmings for doing the same. How’s that hypocritical quiche tasting about now?
    igorskyequality72521brucemcSpamSandwichstevehbigpscooter63lostkiwimagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 80
    What would Apple do? 

nonsense. you're referring to the iPhone 4, and it was proven there was no issue -- from the AT&T dropped call data. Jobs also showed how death grips could affect attenuation of any internal antenna phone. further proof, they continued selling the exact same phone for years to come. 

as as the intro song said:

If you don't want an iPhone 4, don't buy it
        If you bought one and you don't like it, bring it back

If you don't want an iPhone 4, don't buy it
        If you bought one and you don't like it, bring it back

Bring it back
        Bring it back
        Back to the Apple Store
        (but you know you won't)

watch the freaking event and educate yourself. 

edited September 2016 equality72521Darth Siduxstevehfastasleeplolliverjbdragonronnredgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    What would Apple do? 

Yeah like any of that frantic deflection hides the fact that two weeks in Samsungs flagship is blowing up in such numbers the entire model is yanked from the shelves. 
    edited September 2016 igorskybigpalomineDeelronmagman1979lolliverjbdragonronn
  • Reply 20 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    digitalclips said:

Samsung will probably be very busy trying to find out how to 'test for quality' if our Samsung refrigerator is anything to go by!  ;)

We’ve got a Samsung refrigerator, Samsung Blu-ray player, and a Samsung HDTV in the home. We bought them because of all the hype about Samsung products. Well the refrigerator’s ice maker is flakey and jams a lot. The HDTV is flakey even after all the firmware updates Samsung sent out over the last two years. The streaming apps are sluggish and laggy and sometimes the TV doesn’t sync up to the cable STB right away.  Same goes for the Blu-ray player, so much so that we bought an Amazon Firestick to watch Prime videos. My son switched from an iPhone first to an HTC and then a Samsung. Both crapped out on him and he’s back to an iPhone 6. Lesson learned.

In my personal experience Samsung products don’t live up to the hype. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
    igorskychiaSpamSandwichbigpalomineDeelronlostkiwidysamoriamagman1979lolliver