Loving iOS 10 fluidity and stability, but unlocking animation offends.

Posted:
in iPhone
Design-wise iOS 10 is a huge success. Across the board. And new exit-app animation is both enjoyable and snappy. When it comes to the lock screen, it's a delight all-round. Pretty much all the design choices are top-notch. However, as I mentioned in the title I'm not a far of the unlocking animation. It's jarringly slow compared to the rest of the animation. It's the most important animation of the phone because its speed prevents you from the phone. It's frustrating. The animation and fluidity of interaction during and after the unlocking animation in iOS 6 was delightful and vital and quick. Since iOS 7 it's embarrassment and if it's not then it's worrying. Steve must be turning in his grave. It literally annoys the shit out of me that Apple hasn't addressed this. And if they don't see the issue then my oh my. I'd fire someone over this if I had authority at Apple. Shit would hit the fan. And don't tell me to turn off animations—insult someone else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apologies for those typos.

If I could edit my comment I'd add to be clear I mean both the lack of speed with which icons move onto the home screen and the short period of time one must wait before interacting with the device. Makes me what to punch a kitten. Of note: if you are in Safari when you lock and unlocked there is no pause between when Safari lands and your interaction can begin. This is not the case when you unlock to the springboard (home screen). The wait is a pain in the ass and an insult to user's sensibilities. On iOS 6 you could interact right away. Even as the icons flew in if you liked. It was fun! And fast! It didn't just feel faster. The whole animation and time-to-first-use was faster. I've tested this extensively on an older iPhone running iOS 6. Someone at Apple fix this shit!! It's been 4 years of it now. Enough!!
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Probably mainly due to it still being a beta?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Probably mainly due to it still being a beta?
    Trust me it most certainly is not. They've shipped iOS 7, 8 and 9 with this unlocking problem. The speed of unlocking and that extra wait are not new. Unlocking animation always felt too slow since iOS 7 shipped. It's been slightly sped up in the years since, but not by much. It's still too slow. It's too grad-u-al. It got old after using iOS 7 for a few days. And it becomes even more painfully obvious now when you see the exit-app animation.

And before someone says it, jailbreaking is no solution to fixing a design problem. I don't jailbreak anymore anyway.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Turn the Reduce Motion setting on?

I haven't seen any of the iOS7+ animations in years.  Probably cumulatively saved myself hours.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you mentioned that.  Youy're right of course, the animations take far too long, but why not just turn them off if they annoy you so?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crowley said:

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you mentioned that.  Youy're right of course, the animations take far too long, but why not just turn them off if they annoy you so?
    Only one of them annoys me. In general I like that the animation gives me a sense of place. And even with Reduce Motion ON the springboard delay is still there. The period you must wait after the icons appear is there. This wasn't present in iOS 6. Back then, on much slower hardware, you could interact mid-animation if you liked. If was fluid and fun! Almost game-like. That zing! is gone and a slow moving door remains.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ireland said:
    crowley said:

Only one of them annoys me. In general I like that the animation gives me a sense of place. And even with Reduce Motion ON the springboard delay is still there. The period you must wait after the icons appear is there. This wasn't present in iOS 6. Back then, on much slower hardware, you could interact mid-animation if you liked. If was fluid and fun! Almost game-like. That zing! is gone and a slow moving door remains.
    When in doubt, always blame Eddie Cue.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    When in doubt, always blame Eddie Cue.
    Haha! No but the UI guys get the blame. Jony Ive in this case. And now the new guy.