Apple's 'iPhone 7' to boast True Tone display, upgraded camera flash, capacities of 32-256...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
At this week's media event, Apple is expected to introduce a new iPhone featuring waterproof capabilities equivalent to the Apple Watch, along with a new wide color True Tone display and other enhancements throughout.
The tidbits come from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who issued a new research note on Saturday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. According to Kuo, the so-called "iPhone 7" will come in storage capacities of 32, 128, and 256 gigabytes, eliminating both the 16- and 64-gigabyte tiers for higher storage options. Kuo also said the camera flash on the new handset will be upgraded, increasing the number of LEDs from two to four. Two of the flash LEDs will be in cool colors, and two will be in warm colors. Apple is also expected to add an ambient light sensor that will improve image quality, particularly in low-light situations. Kuo also said the "iPhone 7" will feature the same True Tone-branded display technology the company unveiled earlier this year on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The screen is expected to better demonstrate pictures taken with the device's camera, especially on the 5.5-inch model, which is believed to exclusively boast a dual-camera design.
According to Kuo, the "iPhone 7 Plus" camera will feature two 12-megapixel lenses -- one wide angle, and one telephoto. The new design is expected to offer optical zoom and light field camera applications. The rest of the details in Kuo's note reiterate well-established expectations for the "iPhone 7," including 3 gigabytes of RAM for the "iPhone 7 Plus," a next-generation "A10 processor" that could be as fast as 2.45 gigahertz when pushed to the max in real-world usage, a newly improved 3D Touch sensor, a haptic feedback non-clicking home button, and a tweaked design that will remove antenna bands from the back. New colors are expected to ditch space gray and add dark black and "piano black" options. The glossy black shade could be limited in availability, so Apple is expected to focus on large-storage models for that shade. Finally, Kuo also reiterated once again that the "iPhone 7" is expected to remove the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. Apple is said to have utilized the space to add a second speaker with an audio amplifier, and will reportedly ship both Lightning EarPods and a Lightning to headphone adapter in the box. All will be revealed this Wednesday, Sept. 7, when Apple will hold a media presentation at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage and analysis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    3GB RAM and new haptic feedback home button might be just the reason to upgrade from my 6+. 

Never cared about the removal of the 3.5 jack as I've been using Bluetooth for years. Jaybird X2 are awesome. 
    TurboPGTapplepieguybrian greendoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 81
    I jumped ship to Android about a year ago.  And I loved IOS.  I just couldn't stomach the high prices for Iphones. My biggest complaint was the battery. The 6 and 6s are more than thin enough.  If they put a Thicker Battery in them, perhaps I would still be on IOS.  Oh, and I WILL NOT buy any phone -- including Android -- that doesn't have a headphone jack!
    edited September 2016 Indymo33baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 81
    bubbaone said:
    I jumped ship to Android about a year ago.  And I loved IOS.  I just couldn't stomach the high prices for Iphones. My biggest complaint was the battery. The 6 and 6s are more than thin enough.  If they put a Thicker Battery in them, perhaps I would still be on IOS.  Oh, and I WILL NOT buy any phone -- including Android -- that doesn't have a headphone jack!
    Then you're not the market. Why would you want a thicker battery? What purpose does that serve? By eliminating the century old headphone jack, they've already increased the battery capacity without making the phone thicker. 
    Indymo33netmagejahbladeTurboPGTchiacintosapplepieguynolamacguyalexmacindyfx
  • Reply 4 of 81
    bubbaone said:
    Pretty soon you won't be able to buy any phone that has a headphone jack. A few Android phones already ditch it a year ago and now the iPhone won't. The rest will soon follow as the technology has moved forward. 
    patchythepiratejahblade1983cintosnolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 81
    I'm still not sure how I feel about no headphone jack.  I am very excited about the camera though. I have always been jealous of the android cameras or the cameras of the Microsoft phone that was made by Nokia. 

We will see. I use Bluetooth headphones 90% of the time anyway. Less wires in my car,  when I'm walking around to snag on things, and generally in life. I have enough wires anyway!

I'm not overly excited about this version, though it is my time to upgrade and I probably will get it. I am a little bit intrigued with the note seven, however, every time I've gone to android I've been frustrated even though I really really really really wanted it to work.

It's a bold New World, and changes are coming on almost every level. Including our cell phones!
    JABjitsudoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Given the price increase the ipad pro 9.7 made, I wonder with the increase in storage Apple will increase the iPhone price, expecially the upper tiers.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 81
    I'm always interested in the advances they make, even when they take away something I'm used to. But I'm especially curious to see how the lack of a headphone jack will work for my day-to-day. I'm sure the media event will sway me sufficiently. Every next generation of the iPhone has been a win for me, so I can't imagine this will be any different.
    patchythepiratedoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Then you're not the market. Why would you want a thicker battery? What purpose does that serve? By eliminating the century old headphone jack, they've already increased the battery capacity without making the phone thicker. 
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!
    edited September 2016 1983baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 81
    For the last few years Apple has been leaking to Bloomberg, WSJ, Kuo, etc a week or so before major events, so they can reduce expectations.  They did it a week ago with a story there will be no new Mac's announced next week.  Now this iPhone story.  For me, I don't see anything worth upgrading from my iPhone 6S.  Now if the haptic home button allowed them to have a zero-bezel design (edge to edge screen), that would be supercool and I'd upgrade.

netrox
  • Reply 10 of 81
    As long as the Lightning to headphone adapter allows me to us my PayPal and Square card readers I'm fine with the jack being removed as I've been using Bluetooth for a few years now.
    supadav03appleempldoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 81
    I'm very excited! The true-tone display on my 9.7 iPad Pro is absolutely amazing, and to have that display on an iPhone would be incredible. Accurate colors make a huge difference. And the dual-camera system sounds great -- can't wait to see what Apple makes able to happen with that. Given the dedicated extra 1 GB RAM in-place just for camera purposes screams something quite amazing. I think Apple is going to far surpass expectations on Wednesday with the iPhone 7. And, for balance, let me add that I'm not at all a fan of the headphone port going away. I like to listen to music AND charge my phone while at work, and I don't care to mess with wireless headphones. Maybe I'll be convinced that they are worth the trouble, especially if they can be recharged by plugging them into the Lightning port, as newer Apple gear (Pencil, Mouse 2, Siri remote for Apple TV, etc.) does...
    1983baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 81
    bubbaone said:
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  
    If that's your use case, buy a freakin' battery pack, for heaven's sake. There are plenty of good ones.
    jfc1138jahbladechiafastasleepapplepieguydoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 81

jeffj2h said:
    For the last few years Apple has been leaking to Bloomberg, WSJ, Kuo, etc a week or so before major events, so they can reduce expectations. 

Do you have any proof of this, or are you just randomly making up stuff?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Indymo33 said:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about no headphone jack.  I am very excited about the camera though. I have always been jealous of the android cameras or the cameras of the Microsoft phone that was made by Nokia. 

We will see. I use Bluetooth headphones 90% of the time anyway. Less wires in my car,  when I'm walking around to snag on things, and generally in life. I have enough wires anyway!

I'm not overly excited about this version, though it is my time to upgrade and I probably will get it. I am a little bit intrigued with the note seven, however, every time I've gone to android I've been frustrated even though I really really really really wanted it to work.

It's a bold New World, and changes are coming on almost every level. Including our cell phones!
    Is there a cell phone the size of IPhone that has materially better camera than iPhone?   If there is I don't know about it, generally the beer cameras are in bulkier devices which sort of undermines the whole idea of a device that is on your person all day long.  Sounds like you have a severe case of penis envy here.  

Im still on an iPhone 4, I try not to get excited about products rather buy new as needed.  As for Android I want nothing to do with that platform as I prefer to work with ethical businesses.  Sadly there are few other choices to be made when it comes to cell phones.   Given that my next cell phone will likely be an iPhone, maybe even the coming release.  

As as for a bold new world maybe, but the changes aren't that massive at the moment.    True change will come when your cellphone can also be your desktop simply by plugging into a monitor.  I believe that day is coming I'm just not sure Apple can do it right.   
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    bubbaone said:
    So, you only will buy a cheap Android phone? Ok, good for you. I guess a good phone is out of the question then. You do know that most all flagship Android phones also have a non removable battery? You know the reason? It's because the phone overall is more reliable, has a bigger battery that lasts longer, is more resistant to dirt, etc. and almost no one buys extra batteries these days anyway.
    chia1983fastasleeploquiturapplepieguynolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Tom M. said:
    I'm very excited! The true-tone display on my 9.7 iPad Pro is absolutely amazing, and to have that display on an iPhone would be incredible. Accurate colors make a huge difference. And the dual-camera system sounds great -- can't wait to see what Apple makes able to happen with that. Given the dedicated extra 1 GB RAM in-place just for camera purposes screams something quite amazing. I think Apple is going to far surpass expectations on Wednesday with the iPhone 7. And, for balance, let me add that I'm not at all a fan of the headphone port going away. I like to listen to music AND charge my phone while at work, and I don't care to mess with wireless headphones. Maybe I'll be convinced that they are worth the trouble, especially if they can be recharged by plugging them into the Lightning port, as newer Apple gear (Pencil, Mouse 2, Siri remote for Apple TV, etc.) does...
    Wireless headphones are becoming the standard and will be soon.   It will be a lot like the argument of the BlackBerry users had for keyboards.
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 81

Indymo33 said:

The headphone jack is going away, and that's it.

for those who haven't been paying attention, Intel has also made an announcement about the disappearing headphone jack. They say USB-C will be replacing it. So it's not just Apple. And we know that next year, despite their chuckles this year, Samsung will be removing it too. Possibly in three years, no one will be having one, between Apple and Intel's influence.

forget the Note 7 for now. They've been recalled. We'll see what happens when they're back on sale.

it seems that unless Apple makes a major case change, some people fail to understand what the differences in the new phones are. This isn't a minor change this year, it's a major change.
    jfc1138jahblade1983fastasleepapplepieguynolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 81
    netmage said:
    Given the price increase the ipad pro 9.7 made, I wonder with the increase in storage Apple will increase the iPhone price, expecially the upper tiers.
    Same starting price, but increase to $150 between tiers.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

bubbaone said:
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!
    I'm certain many people could deal with the quirks seen in Android but the question is why should we?   This especially when there are so many ethical problems associated with Android.   IOS was basically stolen by the Android people, which is bad enough, but the platform and Google conspire to tack people and steal their personal information.   In the end the hardware isn't the problem rather it is the strange acceptance Android users have with companies orying into their private lives that is the problem.  

In a nut shell what Android is leading to is a society ruled by mega corporations that don't have your best interests at heart.    This isn't to say that Apple is perfect here because they are not.    Rather it is to point out that in the history of mankind there has never been an organization so hell bent on breaking down the walls that isolate us as humans from the corporate world.  
    jahbladechiacintosicoco3
  • Reply 20 of 81

bubbaone said:

Do you understand that Android needs a bigger battery just to keep up with the same amount of battery life on the iPhone? Android is very inefficient when it comes to power use. It's always been a problem. It's the same reason why Android needs more RAM than iOS does. Android doesn't turn off many processes when you click out of an app you're no longer using. Just having one app in the background on that you're not using can cut battery life and RAM availability but a large percentage. It's why there's such a major fuss with ways to turn off unused apps. Forget that, and the battery is dragged down. It's also why RAM gets filled so quickly. Apps are sitting in RAM when clicked out of. You need to actually close the app down.

so don't look at battery size when deciding about battery life. iPhones need smaller batteries.
    chiaequality72521xmhillxcintosloquituriqatedoappleemplicoco3doozydozen