Looking to buy a mouse: input wanted

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need a mouse that will work for Mac & PC. I can go look at them in person, but they don't tend to list technical details, so I'm pumping you guys for information, be it purely technical or empirical.

Requirements:

- Optical

- excellent optics. i.e. fast refresh & good accuracy.

Preferences:

- small and heavy/sturdy

I really like the Apple ProMouse. You can consider it as a benchmark. The only problem is that I'll need two buttons for the PC.

I checked the web, and the two major players seem to be Logitech and Microsoft. Both seem to be enormous and chintsey. Is that what I'm stuck with?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Logitech and Microsoft mouses seem to be the way to go! They arn't all that bad
  • Reply 2 of 29
    love my logitech dual optical...it might be larger than you are looking for, but it fits my right hand beautifully (of course my right hand is use to holding large....ahhh, nevermind)....g
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd probably say the Logitech MX700... Logitech mice are usually very good, and that particular model is supposed to be the best if you want optical and wireless... if you don't want it to be wireless, then get the MX500. I think the MX Series have newer optical sensors that have a higher sample rate, but I'm not completely sure.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I hate to admit it......but M$ mouses are very nice. I have one......intelliMouse optical special edition (NOT the explorer)......int black / silver
  • Reply 5 of 29
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes, Microsoft mice are nice, but they feel cheap to me, and aren't very heavy at all.

My friend has a nice Logitech mouse on his PC, though it is only right handed (one of those ergonomic ones, you really *can't* use it left handed.)
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Thanks for the input, guys.

If worse comes to worse, I can buy a logitech MX300 or whatnot along with a Macally mouse and transfer the components of the Logitech mouse to the Macally mouse. At the same time I can spread some spackle inside the mouse to get the right balance. I am crazy enough to do this, too.

It's too bad. I really like the Pro Mouse and even the Puck! I actually have large hands, but they are nimble, and I don't use the mouse to support my hand. If I had more money, I'd buy a pen tablet and a trackball.

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'd also have to suggest the Logitech MX700 (or MX 500 if you don't want wireless). That'll be my next mouse. Also, the dual optical that thegelding suggested is good too. The shape is really good (it's the same shape as my cordless mouseman optical). No matter which you chose, I think you should go with Logitech.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Go get the logitech mouse. they are very durable and the optics is very sensitive.

The apple pro mouse looks good on the outside, but is actually quite useless as it doesn't have a scrolling wheel and worse, no right click button
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Since were on the topic are there any good wireless mouse/keyboards for the Mac out there? I'm looking to get away from wires.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Reality:

<strong>Since were on the topic are there any good wireless mouse/keyboards for the Mac out there? I'm looking to get away from wires.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well mouse-wise you can't get better than the Logitech MX700.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I think I'm going to end up getting the MX300 and putting it in the body of a generic, mac-type mouse with two buttons and a scroll. I have no use for extra buttons, though I could perhaps make use of that fourth button after a little work with usb overdrive. I don't know what I'll use it for, though. Perhaps I should set it up so that when pressing the fourth button, my computer starts packet sniffing my favorite IP.

I just saw "Monster Garage" on the Discovery channel. What a cool show. I just realized that I am the Jesse James of computer mods. You should see my room. If I can get a-hold of a digital camera, I'll post pictures of the finished product.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    My Logitech Dual Optical's drivers come with the ability to change the buttons to do many things. (keystrokes, etc) I have the wheel press used as a double click, very handy. Also, the Logitech is simply very solid. The Microsoft mice feel cheaply made and such, I would definitely go for Logitech personally.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I think I'm going to end up getting the MX300 and putting it in the body of a generic, mac-type mouse with two buttons and a scroll. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do that? I think the MX300 looks pretty good the way it is.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Well let's talk about the price to these mouse's. Can I get a link to a site that sales then?

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Reality ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Amazon probably has the best prices on the Logitech mice... the MX700 is $43 shipped after rebate:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HZ0L/qid=1038776895/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-5895232-9995235?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846"; target="_blank">Amazon: Logitech MX700</a>

You can search for the MX300/MX500 if you want at Amazon.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'd say if you're looking for input, the mouse will help in that regard.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>I'd say if you're looking for input, the mouse will help in that regard. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I was thinking that when I first saw the thread yesterday
  • Reply 18 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Why do that? I think the MX300 looks pretty good the way it is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's too big.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I bought a Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical (dark blue, optical, two buttons + scroll) at Office Max for $30. It's very smooth and nice. Long cord. Works on Macs and PCs, has a USB-PS/2 adapter. Just the right size - a bit taller than the Pro Mouse it replaced, but otherwise about the same size. It's very sturdy and has a good feel to it. Compared to the MS mice I've used, it has a much nicer click (far less travel and a bit stiffer) and it feels well made. The MS mice all feel really lightweight and cheap, as if the plastic they use is really thin and crappy. Their scroll action is also really loose. Ugh, don't get an MS mouse.

EDIT: I do have to give an honorable mention to Macally. I have a single button ADB mouse made by them that has lasted at least five years. All I remember is that it was a replacement for a Kensington Mouse-in-a-Box that died... the Kensington was a replacement for an Apple ADB Mouse II that died. The Macally is still in use on my LC III+, and it works as good as new. Consider them also.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

It's too big.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 300's too big? Really? I'd think that it's somewhat normal size.