Apple's 'iPhone 7' to boast True Tone display, upgraded camera flash, capacities of 32-256...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    TurboPGT said:
    Why does every article devolve into the same shit conversation.
    I don't care about Android. Or Samsung. They could cure cancer together, and I still wouldn't care. Keep your Android shill nonsense BS out of these forums.
    I think you just answered your own question.  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 62 of 81
    I just love getting a new $1K iPhone every year. The 7 will be my third. Loved the 6+ 128 and 6S+ 128!. But this year I'm going get just a 64, as I've been in a relatively non-photo-taking mode for a good while now, and Apple Music streaming works just fine for me.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 63 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bubbaone said:
    I jumped ship to Android about a year ago.  And I loved IOS.  I just couldn't stomach the high prices for Iphones. My biggest complaint was the battery. The 6 and 6s are more than thin enough.  If they put a Thicker Battery in them, perhaps I would still be on IOS.  Oh, and I WILL NOT buy any phone -- including Android -- that doesn't have a headphone jack!
    The 6+ (and 6s+) has some of the best batteries life around so not sure what your talking about).
     You do know I'm using ACTUAL BATTERY LIFE TESTS not bullshit battery capacity hmnn,

As for the headphone jack, who the frack cares what you'll do. Now , go away...
    edited September 2016 tycho24
  • Reply 64 of 81
    MacBAir said:
    wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about no headphone jack.  I am very excited about the camera though. I have always been jealous of the android cameras or the cameras of the Microsoft phone that was made by Nokia. 

We will see. I use Bluetooth headphones 90% of the time anyway. Less wires in my car,  when I'm walking around to snag on things, and generally in life. I have enough wires anyway!

I'm not overly excited about this version, though it is my time to upgrade and I probably will get it. I am a little bit intrigued with the note seven, however, every time I've gone to android I've been frustrated even though I really really really really wanted it to work.

It's a bold New World, and changes are coming on almost every level. Including our cell phones!
    Is there a cell phone the size of IPhone that has materially better camera than iPhone?   If there is I don't know about it, generally the beer cameras are in bulkier devices which sort of undermines the whole idea of a device that is on your person all day long.  Sounds like you have a severe case of penis envy here.  

Im still on an iPhone 4, I try not to get excited about products rather buy new as needed.  As for Android I want nothing to do with that platform as I prefer to work with ethical businesses.  Sadly there are few other choices to be made when it comes to cell phones.   Given that my next cell phone will likely be an iPhone, maybe even the coming release.  

As as for a bold new world maybe, but the changes aren't that massive at the moment.    True change will come when your cellphone can also be your desktop simply by plugging into a monitor.  I believe that day is coming I'm just not sure Apple can do it right.   
    The Galaxy Note 7 and the Nexus 6p have better cameras than the iPhone 6s Plus. Even the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus has a slightly better camera, especially in low light. I am hoping the iPhone 7 can surpass or match the completion as it will be my next phone. 
    Spec wise the camera may have higher numbers, but Google's image processing algorithms are crap, which is why the iPhone is still so competitive. 
    No one but you mentioned higher numbers. The camera hardware on almost every single flagship is years ahead of what Apple sells. This is a fact. I'm not an ignorant retard talking about megapixels, here.

Yes, it looks like Apple has the speed and algorithms advantage, but it isn't enough to even have a slightly competitive camera, because the camera hardware is so cheap and so weak.

I would like to see 1 credible source, 1 user that actually used both and is educated as far as photography goes, even suggesting that the iPhone camera is on the same ballpark as say, the latest Nexuses or the s7.
    Right... Despite the fact they only passed Apple on most metrics THIS YEAR, they're "years ahead".... You do like to make "jokes" hmmm.

This camera will likely kick everyone's ass and so Apple will have been behind for 12 months max.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    The narcissist's wet dream: more camera upgrades. Yawn.

The rest of the improvements, though, are interesting. Damn, my 2 year old 6+ still works like it did day one, I have no real reason to upgrade.<sigh>
    Its only narcissim if you're talking photos of your belly button (or the like) and posting them on facebook. For that purpose, the current camera is perfectly adequate.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    I've literally never plugged headphones into any of my last three phones.  The only time I can recall using a headphone jack was to hook up one of those cassettes that has a headphone cord attached to it that you used to use in old cars to get iPhone music on the car radio.  I'm not taking away from the fact that some of you may love listening to music on your phone with corded headphones but I bet there are a lot of people like me who simply don't use the phone in that manner.  I use the phone for streaming Spotify in my car over bluetooth and that's the extent of its music-consumption use.

• Reply 67 of 81
    tmay said:
    So I'm looking at about $2.76 per day for unlimited use for two years of what will be the class leading device for this year.

That analysis makes you look like a cheap bastard that has nothing better to do than be a dick.

Nearly 1/2 of the world’s population — more than 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 1.3 billion live in extreme poverty — less than $1.25 a day

ions Development Programme. "Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience." Human Development Report, 2014. Web Accessed February 25, 2015.

Total Apple fan, just wanted to put $2.76 into perspective. 
    Honestly, no offense intended, but did you wander in here by mistake?
    To be fair it's not unreasonable to point out that $2.76 a day is survival for many people - at this time of criticism of the tax shenanigans of big corporations, his/her point made me reflect about core values in this politically, socially and economically complicated world of ours. It took me out of my comfort zone and that's no bad thing.
    argonaut
  • Reply 68 of 81
    foggyhill said:

The rest of the improvements, though, are interesting. Damn, my 2 year old 6+ still works like it did day one, I have no real reason to upgrade.<sigh>
    Its only narcissim if you're talking photos of your belly button (or the like) and posting them on facebook. For that purpose, the current camera is perfectly adequate.
    It used to be that special occasions were ones which warranted getting the camera out, then invitations to see the photos of the occasional holiday were the norm. Now, it's "look at me here" competitions of people trying to get their friends constantly to look at the photos of themselves in various normal, boring locations while the other person fights to keep said person's attention on the pictures on their phone. There is no special occasion anymore, every occasion is when you get the camera out and everyone walks around with their pictures constantly bringing them out to show to everyone they meet. In the past, people who constantly wanted to show you their pictures would be seen as unseemly, it would be too much focus on the person and their "special moments" and a big yawn fest for the rest of the world in their presence. Totally different today, "look at me here and here and here and here" ad nauseum. The phone isn't a phone, it's a camera with call capabilities for some people (not everyone mind you), and that's where the tech is still advancing faster than other areas, much to the delight of these selfie addicted pod people.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Except the Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack either.

bubbaone said:
    Then you're not the market. Why would you want a thicker battery? What purpose does that serve? By eliminating the century old headphone jack, they've already increased the battery capacity without making the phone thicker. 
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 70 of 81
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    tmay said:
    bubbaone said:
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!
    Why come here at all then if you are so satisfied with the Android competition? Just to be a dick?

I'm fairly tech savvy, and when I considered the cost of an iPhone 7 Plus 256 with Applecare over 2 years it costs me about $1165 out the door or $1.60 a day.  Throw in my cell plan at 1.66 a day and the total is $3.26/day. Now, I'll guesstimate that the iPhone 7 Plus is worth at least $350 dollars in two years so that knocks off about $0.50 per day.

So I'm looking at about $2.76 per day for unlimited use for two years of what will be the class leading device for this year.

That analysis makes you look like a cheap bastard that has nothing better to do than be a dick.

And for the record, the Android ecosystem is not the same as the iOS ecosystem, but you already know that.

Nearly 1/2 of the world’s population — more than 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 1.3 billion live in extreme poverty — less than $1.25 a day

ions Development Programme. "Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience." Human Development Report, 2014. Web Accessed February 25, 2015.

Those folks aren't going to buy a car either, but about 100 million are sold each year worldwide.  Heck, those folks don't eat in restaurants either, but how many hundreds of billions of dollars are spent on dining out each year.  Point is, high end smartphones have a market, like any product; like a $6 daily coffee fix.  What's the point in highlighting that there are people outside that market?
    edited September 2016 nolamacguyhaaranantksundaramdoozydozen
  • Reply 71 of 81
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    foggyhill said:

It used to be that special occasions were ones which warranted getting the camera out, then invitations to see the photos of the occasional holiday were the norm. Now, it's "look at me here" competitions of people trying to get their friends constantly to look at the photos of themselves in various normal, boring locations while the other person fights to keep said person's attention on the pictures on their phone. There is no special occasion anymore, every occasion is when you get the camera out and everyone walks around with their pictures constantly bringing them out to show to everyone they meet. In the past, people who constantly wanted to show you their pictures would be seen as unseemly, it would be too much focus on the person and their "special moments" and a big yawn fest for the rest of the world in their presence. Totally different today, "look at me here and here and here and here" ad nauseum. The phone isn't a phone, it's a camera with call capabilities for some people (not everyone mind you), and that's where the tech is still advancing faster than other areas, much to the delight of these selfie addicted pod people.
    These things work themselves out.  These days, very few people are sharing their photos in person. They post to a photo sharing service or to Facebook. And that means that only those who are interested in following are the ones who see the pics. One tip, on Facebook, I unfollow almost all my friends, both those I know in the real world and those I haven't yet met in person, but hope to one day. That way, I'm not constantly scrolling through a long stream of their daily lives. Instead, when I'm in Facebook, I'm in one or another Facebook group, like my investing group that contains exactly ten people who I interact with during the trading day, or in a Philippinrs expat group I administer. So I see posts of specific interest to me, and see the rest only when I have reason to go seek it out. Technology, yes, can amplify narcissistic behavior, but also provides the tools to let us filter it out.
    argonaut
  • Reply 72 of 81
    tmay said:

To be fair it's not unreasonable to point out that $2.76 a day is survival for many people - at this time of criticism of the tax shenanigans of big corporations, his/her point made me reflect about core values in this politically, socially and economically complicated world of ours. It took me out of my comfort zone and that's no bad thing.
    What does this have to do with someone buying an iPhone? Are you planning to take that money and give it to those making $2.76 a day, or are you likely to ignore your discomfort zone, and treat that guilt pang as salve for buying the iPhone 7?

Moreover, have you not been reading the numerous, highly nuanced, discussions on corporate taxes here?
  • Reply 73 of 81
    all in all feels like pretty solid upgrades...considering there isn't a major redesign...a decent upgrade from the iPhone 6. still...i think the iPhone SE is the best option on the market. they just need to offer 32/128/256GB storage on it.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    noicc1138 said:
    Wireless headphones are becoming the standard and will be soon.   It will be a lot like the argument of the BlackBerry users had for keyboards.
    I prefer wired keyboards, mice and headphones. Less things to charge and you don't get the problems of wanting to use a device and the battery is flat.
    Not every wireless device has rechargable batteries so that means more batteries going to landfill.

Not every advancement is actually progress.

• Reply 75 of 81
    I have an iPhone 6 I've been using for two years, before that I had a Pre3 webOS phone, both had head phone jacks, both I never used, just use bluetooth that's all.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    noicc1138 said:
    Wireless headphones are becoming the standard and will be soon.   It will be a lot like the argument of the BlackBerry users had for keyboards.
    I prefer wired keyboards, mice and headphones. Less things to charge and you don't get the problems of wanting to use a device and the battery is flat.
    Not every wireless device has rechargable batteries so that means more batteries going to landfill.

Not every advancement is actually progress.

Everything comes with a price. With wired gear, you are tethered to your device. Now you can try to guilt those of us who prefer wireless freedom with your save the Earth rhetoric, into giving that up. But what I'd say to you, is think about your next vacation ... Do you really need to get on a plane and fly someplace? Or even a car for that matter? Why don't you just sit home instead and save the Earth? 

While this may seem harsh, it's not really. You can either live with what you have and accept the limitations in order to protect the planet, or you can enjoy the benefits provided by new technology, and responsibly manage the waste. I'd argue that you're doing more harm to the planet everytime you take a plane anywhere, than using a wireless headphone for several years and then recycle it when you upgrade.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 77 of 81
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'd like to give props to DED for predicting the True Tone display.   Still think that Apple needs to increase the resolution to 1K on the iPhone 7 and quadHD on 7 plus.   I guess that will come on 7S.   I hope DED is feeling better.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 78 of 81
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    k2kw said:
    I'd like to give props to DED for predicting the True Tone display.   Still think that Apple needs to increase the resolution to 1K on the iPhone 7 and quadHD on 7 plus.   I guess that will come on 7S.   I hope DED is feeling better.
    I'm not seeing the advantage of quadHD, 2k, versus wider color gamut and HDR; most people wouldn't be able to resolve the extra resolution, and the only advantage would be improved antialiasing. Sure, it will happen at some point, but it's more of a feature to market against competition than a benefit. If it is for VR, then better to have a real headset interface via the Lightning port to drive it than a cobbled up hacker version of VR that seems to be popular.

Me, I'm hoping for Apple to have success with micro-LED displays after the next few years of dabbling in OLED.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    gimmicks gimmicks, most people who have 6 6s don't give a thing about these new and improved features. Sales will go down YOY 
    And probably those who have been happy with crappy 4 and 5 versions for years, will upgrade to a cheaper 6 or 6s
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 80 of 81
    tmay said:

What does this have to do with someone buying an iPhone? Are you planning to take that money and give it to those making $2.76 a day, or are you likely to ignore your discomfort zone, and treat that guilt pang as salve for buying the iPhone 7?

Moreover, have you not been reading the numerous, highly nuanced, discussions on corporate taxes here?
    Easy, tiger. I was only gently reflecting - in no way was I pontificating or prescribing. Sorry if I offended you.