'Piano black' and dark black Apple 'iPhone 7' test unit stickers spotted

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
A pair of stickers allegedly used to identify test iPhones have popped up on Twitter, with the pair labeling units in the rumored "piano black" and dark black colors.

The matte dark black prototype sticker was of a 128 GB model, with the glossy piano black model a 256 GB version.

Both labels identify the test phones as model "D10," consistent with other leaked photographs of a running "iPhone 7." The the "piano black" prototype was scheduled to be returned on Aug. 22, according to regular Twitter leak source The Malignant.

The Malignant has previously revealed that Apple at one point had at least three prototype varieties, including the D10, D11, and D12. Rumors once indicated that the company was considering three different "iPhone 7" variants including a "pro" model, but current rumors suggest that Apple will release the conventional standard and Plus models on Sept. 7.

An analyst's note on Saturday reiterated much of the existing speculation about the "iPhone 7," including the two shades of black listed on Sunday's test stickers. Both new models of the iPhone are expected to ditch the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, implement the "A10" processor, and include an improved 3D Touch sensor.

The "iPhone 7 Plus" is expected to have 3 GB of application RAM, and a 12 MP dual-lens rear-shooting camera.
TurboPGT

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Maybe this is the successor color for the iPhone 5 black that often flaked off the device. (To which Schiller bravely intimated that this was a feature rather than a bug - prior to it being withdrawn from production.)
    netmagedoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 42
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I'd love to see Steinway branding on the back of an iPhone
  • Reply 3 of 42
    All it says on the label was "Black 1" and "Black 2" in Chinese...
    fastasleepSpamSandwichration alindyfxredgeminipaargonautdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I'm suspecting the "piano black" is only for the 256gb model.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If "dark black" is used in marketing I'll eat my hat.
    napoleon_phoneapartfastasleepslprescott1983SpamSandwichronnargonautdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 42
    eywleung said:
    All it says on the label was "Black 1" and "Black 2" in Chinese...
    God. Journalism 101.
    SpamSandwichindyfxdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 42
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Piano black is a hint that the 2017 iPhone will be shiny and black. 

• Reply 8 of 42
    I'm suspecting the "piano black" is only for the 256gb model.
    I suspect every color will be available for every model and storage tier, because it's an iPhone and Apple isn't stupid. 
    nolamacguyirelandnetmageronndoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 42
    ireland said:
    I'm sure you won't have to. Piano Black sounds exactly right.
    nolamacguyredgeminipadoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Maybe this is the successor color for the iPhone 5 black that often flaked off the device. (To which Schiller bravely intimated that this was a feature rather than a bug - prior to it being withdrawn from production.)
    source?
    levitycho24doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Blathering bullshit as usual. As with any iPhone release there are outliers who make wild claims about manufacturing defects, quality control issues. etc. The black iPhone “chipping” issue consisted of a few reports and very few YouTube videos that were inflated to outlandish proportions by OCD types. Happens all the time. Now comes troll @robertwalter to repeat the lies and innuendos. 
    TurboPGTDeelronnolamacguyandrewj5790tycho24
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Really glad that there will 2 black models. Black is overdue and sought after it is sure to sellout during the launch phase and probably for months after. 2 separate black models ensures the pain will be spread out a little.
    brian greendoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 42
    TurboPGT said:
    ireland said:
    I'm sure you won't have to. Piano Black sounds exactly right.
    You read the story, right?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Most important part of glossy Piano Black model is possibly being a non slippery version compared to other matt options;)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 42
    I was going to go gold with this revision, but matte black light tempt me to change my mind. Loved my iPhone 5!
    brian green
  • Reply 16 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    #pianoblackiphonesmatter

I've been saying for a long time that I'd like to see Apple introduce more blackness back to their lineup.

I'd also like to see a black Macbook again.

And how about a black iPad?
    brian greenredgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 42
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I love my SE, but I'm going with a gloss black plus for my second line. I never got a 6 series but the camera on this year's plus intrigues me. The camera has always been a huge selling point for me. And after suffering with Android for many years iOS is a godsend.
    edited September 2016 redgeminipadoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 42
    I'll enjoy every of the five seconds of this Piano Black 7 Plus before I cover up this tiny slippery new iPhone in an expensive Apple-case. 
    qwweraredgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 42
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    schmrtzzz said:
    I'll enjoy every of the five seconds of this Piano Black 7 Plus before I cover up this tiny slippery new iPhone in an expensive Apple-case. 
    Well said but like a paper bag on your lovers face when you make love, it makes it all the better she's still hot beneath the bag. otherwise no one would go to the gym and do crunches. Or would be happy owning a Dell computer or a Chevy car. I mean the work fine but not the coolest thing you could own or Fk.

Besides quality, people loved Apple products like they love great houses, hot cars, nice clothes and other niceties. 
    edited September 2016 redgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 42
    eywleung said:
    All it says on the label was "Black 1" and "Black 2" in Chinese…
    Better than the alternative…

SpamSandwichredgeminipadoozydozen