Elgato soon to expand its HomeKit Eve peripheral line with motion sensor

Posted:
in General Discussion
Elgato appears to be growing its stable of home automation devices, with the the first HomeKit compatible motion sensor spotted, called the "Eve Motion."

Spotted at the IFA Berlin trade show by Giga.de, the new motion sensor by long-time Apple accessory vendor Elgato has a 120 degree sensor, has a temperature sensor, and is splash-proof. The device runs on a pair of AA batteries, with a lifetime of a year.

Through the Home app, the motion sensor can be used to switch devices, or as a trigger for pre-configured scenes.

Connectivity is as normal with HomeKit, through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi depending on user configuration and needs. As with any other HomeKit setup, an Apple TV is needed as a hub if the devices are to be accessible outside the local network.

Elgato has not yet officially announced the product. Giga.de expects it to cost around 50 euros ($56 U.S.).

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device, and soon, to a Mac running Sierra.
polymnia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I would take a handful of these
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I thought Elgato had gone Eldeado
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Apple needs to move quickly now. In Europe, HomeConnect is taking off, and it is backed by quite a number of appliance makers. Industry has at least understood that it is much better to have just a few protocols/APIs and interoperability (support a few protocols and APIs), than lotgs of proprietary ones.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have purchased two Elgato products, one a find a key fob and the other a HomeKit eve weather. Neither worked.

freshmaker
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    And soon drop the price by 50%...now that's the news.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I like this. 

+1

i have a HomeKit house and these would be great in the laundry room and the under garage storage room where I keep gardening implement & lawn care tools. They lack windows and i never enter them without needing light. 

I find the price perfectly reasonable for a gen 1 product that will likely be sold in limited quantity. 

Once HomeKit is ubiquitous, expect the price to drop.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I had to remove all Elgato products from my home automation system because reliability is poor and response is sluggish. What a waste of money! Never again! The Fibaro motion sensor is years ahead in style, functionality and looks.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I have had my toe in the water waiting for HomeKit and products to mature. As part of that I have purchased Elgato Eve Weather and Room based upon generally good service from the EyeTV HW/SW bundle they sold until recently (Geniatech now has EyeTV).

Until very recently the away access via an Apple TV did not work reliably but seems to work well now (with a few bugs on the iOS app). I would like to see SW to allow Macintosh access for HomeKit as I prefer my Macs to any iOS device despite having an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6- I just prefer a computer to any mobile device.

Hopefully someone at Elgato is lurking- bring out a camera. Having looked at the range currently for sale, there is a market opportunity. Nothing from the Netatmo to the Canary to the Logi to the Nest DropCam quite gets it right.

I recently bought a property at Point Roberts Washington- about 2,500 miles from my home- and am looking to have remote monitoring and automation. Apple is slow walking HomeKit and I am running out of patience.