Bragi intros cheaper wireless Headphone earbuds days before 'iPhone 7' launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Audio gear maker Bragi on Monday announced the Headphone, a new set of fully wireless earbuds being marketed as less expensive than the Dash, and ideal for people buying smartphones without a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, like Apple's impending "iPhone 7."

The Headphone deliberately removes the Dash's fitness tracking and built-in storage, also swapping out touch-sensitive phone and media controls for buttons. The tradeoff is that until Nov. 1 the Headphone can be preordered for just $119, a full $180 less than the Dash. After that date the price will go up to $149, which is still some $50 cheaper than Apple's Powerbeats2 Wireless earbuds.

Bragi is promising 6 hours of battery life for audio playback -- twice the amount on the Dash -- and up to 250 hours of standby time.

Shipments of the Headphone should begin in November.

In the meantime the company has released a new firmware update for the Dash, Bragi OS 2.1, which can be downloaded through the similarly new Bragi Updater. The code adds support for Apple's HealthKit and Google Fit, as well as four new languages for audio feedback, namely Chinese, French, German, and Spanish. Bragi is also offering better Bluetooth connectivity, a Touch Lock feature, shuffling for onboard music, and on-demand heart rate tracking.
apple-fan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Audio gear maker Bragi on Monday announced the Headphone, a new set of fully wireless earbuds being marketed as less expensive than the Dash, and ideal for people buying smartphones without a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, like Apple's impending "iPhone 7." ...

Good luck.

With that.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    6 hours? These things are a few years away form mainstream. Also, having them separated like that might not be the most practical design. Myself I prefer wired headphones. Not having to ever charge is a huge deal to me. And is paying a few bucks as opposed to many hundreds.
    ZooMigo
  • Reply 3 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    6 hours? These things are a few years away form mainstream. Also, having them separated like that might not be the most practical design. Myself I prefer wired headphones. Not having to ever charge is a huge deal to me. And is paying a few bucks as opposed to many hundreds.
    BT headphones already account for over 15% of unit sales and over 50% of headphone revenue
    Deelronschlackronn
  • Reply 4 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    Resistance is futile, literally. This is going to happen whether you prefer technology from 1878 (the first use of the 1/4 inch (6.35mm) telephone jack) or not. Headphone manufacturers are falling all over each other trying to get wireless products to market. Lightening headphones will be on the market quickly. If the 3.5mm manufacturers are smart they will ship MFI 3.5mm->Lightening adapters with their products. Within a couple of years the transition will be over and no one will remember the hand wringing.
    edited September 2016 waverboyDeelronschlackronnnolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 5 of 28
    I use my headphones for watching video on my phone. Is wireless going to work for that, or is the audio going to be delayed, causing a sync issue?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I use my headphones for watching video on my phone. Is wireless going to work for that, or is the audio going to be delayed, causing a sync issue?
    I am using Kreafunk wireless headphone and mine has no delay whatsoever and as comfy as the most expensive wired headphone. BT headphone tech is not like a few years ago anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    ireland said:
    6 hours? These things are a few years away form mainstream.
    My $20 bluetooth headphones I bought last month only get 3 hours battery life, so 6 hours sounds great to me. But these are $100 more, so I think I'll live with 3 hours...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    My Sony BT headphones get 20 hrs. I charge them once a week max. no big deal. I'm sure these smaller BT headphones will have 20 hrs before long. The big deal, I think will be when they can flash charge these devices from empty to full in a minute or two...then 6 hrs feels like nothing.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ireland said:

"Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge" — Under $100

The same goes for their older model, which is now much cheaper from other sources since it's no longer their latest model, or you can save even more buy purchasing bone conducing BT headphone from other vendors that also have a 6 hour battery life.

PS: By far, my favorite headphones and worth the low price I paid. If you go for walks, jogs, biking, or simply need quick access to phone calls while also needing to have your ears open to listen to the surrounding environment, then bone conducting headphones are the way to go.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    BT headphones already account for over 15% of unit sales and over 50% of headphone revenue
    BT headphones still present several problems. The first is they have to be charged and most do not want to think about charging their headphones. The next is overall sound quality. BT headphones are low-impedance, (under 50 ohm) in most cases. It's simple small drivers 6-8mm with low-impedance will never sound as good as larger 50mm drivers with high-impedance. Better headphones simply can't be pushed or driven wirelessly. Larger drivers can to some degree but they will have to be low-impedance. 

I also love how people use the word "legacy" about a port that is still be far the standard. Another factor is cost. Someone can buy a fairly nice pair of wired in-ear headphones for the same prices as a set of garbage skullcandy wireless headphones. BT has its place but I don't think in three years there is going much of a change in BT marketshare. People will simply use the adapter. 

Like I have said before this isn't the same as removing an optical drive where the advantages were clear. Making the iPhone thinner is useless as long as most people still have to put a case on it which negates 1-2mm reduction in phone thickness. 
    ZooMigo
  • Reply 11 of 28
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    BT headphones still present several problems. The first is they have to be charged and most do not want to think about charging their headphones. The next is overall sound quality. BT headphones are low-impedance, (under 50 ohm) in most cases. It's simple small drivers 6-8mm with low-impedance will never sound as good as larger 50mm drivers with high-impedance. Better headphones simply can't be pushed or driven wirelessly. Larger drivers can to some degree but they will have to be low-impedance. 

I also love how people use the word "legacy" about a port that is still be far the standard. Another factor is cost. Someone can buy a fairly nice pair of wired in-ear headphones for the same prices as a set of garbage skullcandy wireless headphones. BT has its place but I don't think in three years there is going much of a change in BT marketshare. People will simply use the adapter. 

Like I have said before this isn't the same as removing an optical drive where the advantages were clear. Making the iPhone thinner is useless as long as most people still have to put a case on it which negates 1-2mm reduction in phone thickness. 
    1) What problem does BT 5.0 have that would affect the user's ability to listen to music? What about 4.2?

2) How is legacy not the perfect word to describe the 3.5mm jack? Here's the definition: "denoting software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."

3) What's wrong with using a simple adapter you keep connected to your headphones, or buying an adapter that lets you use your headphones in the car (which is silly) and also charge whilst charging, or use the Smart Connector to charge while still using the Lightning port for your headphones without buying any additional items?

4) With the ODD there was no included dongle that let you use your CD and DVDs. You had to buy an external, ODD drive for this to work. This was a much larger "shock" to people because many were still using this legacy method for reading and writing data and the only solution for them was to buy an external ODD if they wanting to keep all their optical media. With headphones, we're talking about 1 or 2 pairs, for nearly all users, an included adapter so they can still use their old headphones, and at a time when over 15% of headphones are already being sold as wireless and accounting for more than half the revenue. This is not a trend that will be ending.

5) Don't start making this solely about making the device thin. It's about making the device better. Without that very long and low-data port interface having to be inserted into every device and with a good selection of the top or bottom used for the port opening, Apple saves significant internal space for other components. if they could have don't his last year we could have gotten 3D Touch without the battery having to shrink my 10%.
    ronnnolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

I'll take charging my headphones once a day along with the rest of my gear, rather than deal with the constant winding and untangling of wires, plugging, and unplugging, and cable management issues.
    Solironn
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

You're underestimating the convenience factor. By your logic, MP3s would have never won out over CDs and now streaming over MP3s. People already charge their devices daily so wireless headphones or earbuds do not present an issue to most. Audiophiles will be the holdout but the market and 99% of consumers will move on without them. I'm predicting that in 3-5 years you will not even be able to find a wired headphone in use on a subway or city street.
    igorsky
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Soli said:
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

1) What problem does BT 5.0 have that would affect the user's ability to listen to music? What about 4.2?

2) How is legacy not the perfect word to describe the 3.5mm jack? Here's the definition: "denoting software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."

3) What's wrong with using a simple adapter you keep connected to your headphones, or buying an adapter that lets you use your headphones in the car (which is silly) and also charge whilst charging, or use the Smart Connector to charge while still using the Lightning port for your headphones without buying any additional items?

4) With the ODD there was no included dongle that let you use your CD and DVDs. You had to buy an external, ODD drive for this to work. This was a much larger "shock" to people because many were still using this legacy method for reading and writing data and the only solution for them was to buy an external ODD if they wanting to keep all their optical media. With headphones, we're talking about 1 or 2 pairs, for nearly all users, an included adapter so they can still use their old headphones, and at a time when over 15% of headphones are already being sold as wireless and accounting for more than half the revenue. This is not a trend that will be ending.

5) Don't start making this solely about making the device thin. It's about making the device better. Without that very long and low-data port interface having to be inserted into every device and with a good selection of the top or bottom used for the port opening, Apple saves significant internal space for other components. if they could have don't his last year we could have gotten 3D Touch without the battery having to shrink my 10%.
    1. There isn't anything about BT that would impact the users ability to listen to music that wasn't my point. The point was the quality of BT headphones in general. 

2. Okay I'm not sure I have bought into the fact that is has been superseded by lightning or BT because BT isn't a physical connection. However no need to split hairs.

3. Nothing is wrong with using a simple adapter. In fact if you read my post that's what I said most will do. I made the comment that I don't believe BT marketshare will increase much that most will simply use the adapter. However many get annoyed when Apple removes a port only to make people carry around a dongle. Removing a port only to add a dongle, the average consumer may not want to be pushed in that direction. Just like every consumer didn't want to be pushed into carrying a bigger phone. 

4. We have yet to see how the device is actually going to be made better. Right now we have no clue if the trade off will be worth removing the 3.5mm jack. However it's safe bet because Apple is always trying to make their devices thinner that is at least part of the reason, water resistant could also be a reason which would be at least in my opinion worth the change. 
  • Reply 15 of 28

Bragi is promising 6 hours of battery life for audio playback -- twice the amount on the Dash -- and up to 250 hours of standby time.

So when I fly from say LAX to London they will run out of battery after 60% of the flight. Useless.
    Any company making stuff like this need to think about long haul flights and how their bits of kit can be used on them.
    10-12 hour flights are not exactly new. The LAX-LHR route has been flown non-stop since around the time of the first 747 came into service.
    LAX-Auckland is another long one.
    I have some wired noise cancelling headphones (over the ear) which I don't see being replaced for a good few years headphone socket or no headphone socket in phones.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

4. We have yet to see how the device is actually going to be made better. Right now we have no clue if the trade off will be worth removing the 3.5mm jack. However it's safe bet because Apple is always trying to make their devices thinner that is at least part of the reason, water resistant could also be a reason which would be at least in my opinion worth the change. 
    There's more than enough evidence to show how Lightning connecters headphones, a Smart Connector, and a Lightning to 3.5mm jack or Lighting to 3.5mm jack+Lightning pass-thru adapters will work with the rumoured iPhone 7 as all this technology has already been on the market for an extended amount of time. To claim it's impossible to know anything and to assume that it will be a market failure is simply an inability to see what should be obvious or a purposeful choice to ignore the facts.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 28

So when I fly from say LAX to London they will run out of battery after 60% of the flight. Useless.
    Any company making stuff like this need to think about long haul flights and how their bits of kit can be used on them.
    10-12 hour flights are not exactly new. The LAX-LHR route has been flown non-stop since around the time of the first 747 came into service.
    LAX-Auckland is another long one.
    I have some wired noise cancelling headphones (over the ear) which I don't see being replaced for a good few years headphone socket or no headphone socket in phones.
    And? What's the issue? You charge them up for 10 minutes when you get up to use the bathroom or longer if you take some momentary shut eye and you then have several hours more of BT headphone use. 

Seriously people, these comments trying to argue that, "Bluetooth headphones are a joke because I can't I take a 13 hour International flight without having to charge my headphones for a couple minutes at some point means that they are completely useful for the entire flight" are absolutely foolish reasons to avoid natural and expected advancements in technology.
    nolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Soli said:

Seriously people, these comments trying to argue that, "Bluetooth headphones are a joke because I can't I take a 13 hour International flight without having to charge my headphones for a couple minutes at some point means that they are completely useful for the entire flight" are absolutely foolish reasons to avoid natural and expected advancements in technology.
    As the Sony BT devices give at least 10 hours service then I think your argument falls flat on its face. These devices can't do 10 hours so why would I ever consider buying them eh?
    Besides, having to stop watching a movie in mid stream to charge the BT phones is a faff. Not all airlines provide USB (or anything else) charging points in Cattle Class (or as the americans say, Coach).
    It is all about ease of use. Something that many software designers have forgotten about.
    Making the device work for the duration of a 12 hr flight would be a great selling point. 6 hours is a cop out IMHO.
    I fly at least 100,000 miles a year and not having to charge stuff at the airport or on the plane is a big plus to me. YMMV.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Soli said:

As the Sony BT devices give at least 10 hours service then I think your argument falls flat on its face. These devices can't do 10 hours so why would I ever consider buying them eh?
    Besides, having to stop watching a movie in mid stream to charge the BT phones is a faff. Not all airlines provide USB (or anything else) charging points in Cattle Class (or as the americans say, Coach).
    It is all about ease of use. Something that many software designers have forgotten about.
    Making the device work for the duration of a 12 hr flight would be a great selling point. 6 hours is a cop out IMHO.
    I fly at least 100,000 miles a year and not having to charge stuff at the airport or on the plane is a big plus to me. YMMV.
    You watch movies that are longer than 10 Horus in duration and never in that time frame you never have to use the bathroom? What about a smartphone or notebook that gets about 10 hours with video playback?

You're just inventing problems that don't exist. If you're still ready to move to BT headphones then stick wth wired headphones, but you still won't get more than 10 hours of video playback from your devices. You should like someone that would buy a shitty WinPC with a 3 hours battery life while complaining that BT headphones such because they can't last indefinitely the way your wired headphones can.
    nolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 20 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have recently bought wireless Bluetooth stereo headphones. I use them nightly for a few hours of Netflix on my iPad Air.  I love them.  They last weeks on one charge assuming you turn them off after use and the sound quality is excellent and they are very comfortable.  They are bright red with black trim and easily found under the bed, in the sheets or down the back of a sofa.  I'd consider wireless buds when they have the tech built in to be found the same way as Find my iPhone because I'd lose them in a few days guaranteed.