Questionable Vietnamese leak claims 'iPhone 7' will ditch Space Gray color, record 60fps 4K video

Posted:
in iPhone
The "iPhone 7" will, among other things, drop Space Gray from the range of iPhone colors, and shoot 4K video at 60 frames per second, a Vietnamese tech site said, claiming to have had hands-on time with a fully-functional 4.7-inch model.

A photo from a previous leak.
A photo from a previous leak.

The site, Tinhte.vn, didn't offer any photos or video to back its report, but indicated that black will replace Space Gray, something potentially consistent with recent rumors. It also mentioned that a black unit it held was prone to picking up fingerprints, suggesting the glossy "piano black" noted by Twitter source The Malignant.

Shooting at 60 frames per second would significantly smooth out 4K video, doubling the 30fps limit for that resolution on the iPhone 6s. The result would also consume more storage space, however, which may partly explain Apple's expected doubling of capacity for iPhones to 32, 128, and 256 gigabytes.

Tinhte.vn also supported the claim that Apple is switching to a Force Touch home button with haptic feedback. Users will allegedly have to use a basic amount of pressure to get the button to respond, preventing people from accidentally waking their phone or jumping back to the iOS homescreen.

The SIM tray on the device is said to have a rubber seal, which would be consistent with reports that Apple is bolstering water resistance, even if the phone may not be fully waterproof like some of its rivals.

Apple is set to announce the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" at a San Francisco press event on Wednesday, at 10 a.m. Pacific time. AppleInsider will be there to provide live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Why is this questionable? It seems consistent with other leaks, and 4Kp60 is perfectly reasonable. 
    [Deleted User]TurboPGTdamonf
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    By what I've gathered looking at wait times for new products, Space Gray seems to be the most popular finish. So, I can't see them dropping a dark finish completely. I do hope that there is a dark alternative, with a black front, besides a high-gloss piano finish. It can be a matte black, dark gray or even the nice midnight blue that was floating around in photos. Personally, I think high-gloss finish is rather tacky. But then again, once in a leather case, who cares.
    radarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    "Not fully waterproof like some of its rivals."    Hahahahaha 
    nolamacguynetmagelolliver
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mike1 said:
    By what I've gathered looking at wait times for new products, Space Gray seems to be the most popular finish. So, I can't see them dropping a dark finish completely. I do hope that there is a dark alternative, with a black front, besides a high-gloss piano finish. It can be a matte black, dark gray or even the nice midnight blue that was floating around in photos. Personally, I think high-gloss finish is rather tacky. But then again, once in a leather case, who cares.
    I would they'll have both, just like the Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Why is this questionable? It seems consistent with other leaks, and 4Kp60 is perfectly reasonable. 
    So I wonder if Apple will make any other updates to iCloud? 4K at 60fps and phones with more storage capacity just mean bigger iCloud backups. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    So I wonder if Apple will make any other updates to iCloud? 4K at 60fps and phones with more storage capacity just mean bigger iCloud backups. 
    Not if Eddy has anything to say about it. Apple either needs to move to 5GB per device, or 25GB per user. 
  • Reply 7 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Tinhte.com also mentioned that the Piano Black has matching antenna bands and matte Apple logo in the back while others had glossy Apple logo. He described that this is the first time he held the phone but couldn't take video or pictures of it instead he had to write down everything. It appears that the phone was guarded by someone.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    They did already. Now offering 2x max storage as before (2 TB plan).

• Reply 9 of 17
    Agreed. Perhaps the source itself is questionable, but 4k@60fps, something no other smartphone is doing, sounds exactly like something Apple wants to achieve (considering they've gone from from 1080p@30, to 1080p@60, to 4k@30 in successive years.)

mike1 said:
    Space Grey is the only model with black glass on the front. I believe people buy this model for this reason. Whether the aluminum back is light grey, dark grey, or matte black, i dont think matters. Im just glad that this model will exist alongside the Piano Black, so as to spread the load of black orders. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I wonder if the video would have a Setting allowing the user to select frame-rate?  Could I set the frame-rate back to 30 fps in order not to double my storage consumption?
    netmage
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If there is an adapter mount for my Canon L lenses I'm in.  ;)
    argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I wonder if the video would have a Setting allowing the user to select frame-rate?  Could I set the frame-rate back to 30 fps in order not to double my storage consumption?
    Well, you can do that today for 1080p, so of course it would be an opiton for 4k. 

But quite honestly, why wouldnt you solve the problem of 'not enough storage' instead of settling for worse quality video? Maybe I just dont understand this thinking. To me the solution to this problem is not "dial down the quality of the video I'm taking"..., its "buy a phone with a enough storage".
    edited September 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 17
    4K at 60fps?  I can't get my pro camera to do that.  4k (not UHD) at 24 or 30fps makes more sense. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    TurboPGT said:
    Well, you can do that today for 1080p, so of course it would be an opiton for 4k. 
    Thanks, I didn't realize that was possible.  Now I see it.

You make a good point about getting a device with enough storage... it's just that I see a never-ending creep upward of storage for media, so I was wondering what control the user had over the quality/cost balance.  You've answered that; thanks.
    netmagelolliver
  • Reply 15 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    STurboPGT said:

But quite honestly, why wouldnt you solve the problem of 'not enough storage' instead of settling for worse quality video? Maybe I just dont understand this thinking. To me the solution to this problem is not "dial down the quality of the video I'm taking"..., its "buy a phone with a enough storage".
    Surely the 60fps is for slo mo play back not higher quality?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    STurboPGT said:

Surely the 60fps is for slo mo play back not higher quality?
    No no, 60fps is for higher frame/smoother/overall better video capture.

Currently the iPhone 6s can shoot:

Standard Video Capture options
    1080p 30fps
    1080p 60fps
    4k 30fps

Slo-Mo Video Capture options
    720p 120 fps
    720p 240fps

It is nice to have all these options, but personally I would like a bit more "smart" going on here. I would like to whip out the camera and capture both 4k at 60fps and 1080p at 240 fps for Slo Mo at the same time, and after I complete shooting, have options for what/how to save the file. If I don't elect to save the Slo-Mo capture, it deletes it automatically, but at least it was captured and I didn't have to deliberately and exclusively choose it.