Rediscovered Tim Cook interview may hint at Apple Pencil support in 'iPhone 7'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple CEO Tim Cook may have accidentally teased Apple Pencil support for the "iPhone 7" in an interview in May, according to a recent blog post.

"If you've ever seen what can be created with that pencil on an iPad or an iPhone, it's really unbelievable," Cook said in a video interview with NDTV, found by Daring Fireball's John Gruber. While Cook may have simply misspoken, the apparently deliberate phrasing of the comment could imply Apple had iPhone support underway.

The Apple Pencil was originally launched last year alongside the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Since then, the only other device to gain support has been the 9.7-inch version of the tablet.

Apple has traditionally resisted offering a stylus for any of its modern devices -- in fact, the iPhone's touch interface was conceived as a superior alternative, and Cook's comment was in defense of offering the Pencil for iPads, given Steve Jobs once saying "if you see a stylus, they blew it" in relation to tablet interfaces.

Until now there have been no rumors of the "iPhone 7" having Pencil support, even though the phone is due to be announced tomorrow. It wouldn't necessarily be noticed in parts leaks however, since most if not all of the technology could be carried over from the iPad Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,255member
    I think Pencil support on the iPhone 7 would be a good way to encourage people to buy an iPad Pro. 
    SpamSandwichJoinTheBattlelolliver
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But can it cook an egg like the Sammy phone. 
    gilly017argonautnolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 3 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    jungmark said:
    But can it cook an egg like the Sammy phone. 
    That's a great point.  They'd also be very useful for emergency heat source for climbers in freezing conditions. ;)
    nolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 4 of 23
    This is silly. The length of the Apple Pencil dwarfs the iPhone. So unless Apple makes a much smaller pencil for the phone I don't see this happening. 
    vukasika
  • Reply 5 of 23
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This is silly. The length of the Apple Pencil dwarfs the iPhone. So unless Apple makes a much smaller pencil for the phone I don't see this happening. 
    This would be for people owning both devices initially (which I expect is the case for many). I hate the small pencils so for me a smaller pencil is not a selling point.
    Remember, those things are filled with a lot of electronics, unlike the things like the note stylus.
    roundaboutnowlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I hope to God that this is just people reading too much into Tim misspeaking as this would be a most terrible idea. It's hard enough using the pheblet one-handed imagine having to pop sone extra tool to effectively operate, from barley one hand to unavoidably two hands to use you're phone, really ?, this is the kind of stupidity that should be left to Sammy and all her geek fan boys, the apple pencil is fine where it is there is no need for a pro iPhone because the is no pro phone user this is just people yearning for some eye popping' innovation from Apple as it's been a long dry spell and SJ's absents is sorely felt but emulating Sammy isn't the way, things aren't that desperate just yet
    Darth Siduxdasanman69
  • Reply 7 of 23
    TBH I'd like Pencil support. I want to use my Newtons (mostly the 2100), but they're a bit too bulky to pocket. A 7 Plus + Pencil would be amazing. 
    edited September 2016 JoinTheBattlelolliver
  • Reply 8 of 23
    foggyhill said:
    This would be for people owning both devices initially (which I expect is the case for many). I hate the small pencils so for me a smaller pencil is not a selling point.
    Remember, those things are filled with a lot of electronics, unlike the things like the note stylus.
    The S-Pen is more advanced than you're giving it credit for: http://www.androidauthority.com/break-it-down-how-does-the-s-pen-work-154435/

Edit: a word
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 9 of 23
    holyone said:
    I hope to God that this is just people reading too much into Tim misspeaking as this would be a most terrible idea. It's hard enough using the pheblet one-handed imagine having to pop sone extra tool to effectively operate, from barley one hand to unavoidably two hands to use you're phone, really ?, this is the kind of stupidity that should be left to Sammy and all her geek fan boys, the apple pencil is fine where it is there is no need for a pro iPhone because the is no pro phone user this is just people yearning for some eye popping' innovation from Apple as it's been a long dry spell and SJ's absents is sorely felt but emulating Sammy isn't the way, things aren't that desperate just yet
    That's your opinion. Talk to the majority of Galaxy Note owners and they'll tell you they love the S-Pen (for many it is the reason they bought the Note.) Many people would love an iPhone phablet with stylus support.

Edit: changed "most" to "many"
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 23
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    PLEASE APPLE!  I have been waiting for pen support for years!  

Take notes and draw for the 7 Plus + Pencil.

HELP !!!!!!!

JoinTheBattle
  • Reply 11 of 23
    So what? People use pens and pencils to write on post-it notes and other smaller pieces of paper all the time. 
    nolamacguyJoinTheBattlelolliver
  • Reply 12 of 23
    holyone said:
    That's your opinion. Talk to the majority of Galaxy Note owners and they'll tell you they love the S-Pen (for most it is the reason they bought the Note.) Many people would love an iPhone phablet with stylus support.
    Why on earth would I talk to Galaxy owners ? Clearly those folks need some kind of intervention "they love the S-Pen (for most it is the reason they bought the Note.)" right says a lot "Many people would love an iPhone phablet with stylus support." many people wont, if they did that exploding little box of garbage would be selling like hot cake in case you aren't aware the explosive 7 is being out sold by last year's iPhone so please go troll some where els with you're nonsense
  • Reply 13 of 23

holyone said:
    There's a huge difference between needing a stylus in order to operate the device at all and having the stylus as an optional accessory to provide enhanced functionality in specialized situations. 

When the iPhone and iPad first came out, I think it was a good move to make everything finger based. That forced Apple and third party developers to design their UIs for fingers. Now that the finger-first UI is firmly entrenched, I see no problem adding stylus (aka pencil) support for situations where that makes sense. 
    nolamacguyJoinTheBattlechiafastasleeplolliveriqatedo
  • Reply 14 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    holyone said:
    You do realize that if Apple brings Pencil support to the iPhone, they are not likely to remove "finger support", right?  You need to head back to the pharmacy for a refill.
    JoinTheBattlelolliver
  • Reply 15 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    IMO, I think it would be a good move by Apple.  That said, I can see Apple being either pro or con on it.  Pro because it is a good business decision:
    - Optional
    - Allows users who want it, to be able to do more on their iPhones.  For many, an iPhone may be their only computing device, and now they would get Pencil option.
    - Good for Apple's revenue, to grow the Pencil sales
    - Leads to greater Pencil support in apps, new innovations
    - Yet another driver for upgrades

Apple could take a con position:
    - Not ideal user experience on a smaller device
    - Removes some distinction between iPhone and iPad lines
    JoinTheBattle
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    brucemc said:
    IMO, I think it would be a good move by Apple.  That said, I can see Apple being either pro or con on it.  Pro because it is a good business decision:
    - Optional
    - Allows users who want it, to be able to do more on their iPhones.  For many, an iPhone may be their only computing device, and now they would get Pencil option.
    - Good for Apple's revenue, to grow the Pencil sales
    - Leads to greater Pencil support in apps, new innovations
    - Yet another driver for upgrades

Apple could take a con position:
    - Not ideal user experience on a smaller device
    - Removes some distinction between iPhone and iPad lines
    I agree the biggest problem is cannibalism from the more expensive products. However, if they enable it on the iPhone Plus only, then they're cannibalizing only from the iPad mini, which is fast becoming the iPod Touch of the iOS product lineup. But both of those products serve important roles as entry level devices. The Touch is on its way out thanks to the iPhone SE, but the mini might make a good non-phone Touch replacement, as well as continuing to be a good entry device into the iOS ecosystem. I'd expect the mini to get it next if the Plus gets it now.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    blastdoor said:
    So what? People use pens and pencils to write on post-it notes and other smaller pieces of paper all the time. 
    That was one criticism of the iPad Pro....no place to store the pencil. Seems like an incredibly inelegant solution. 
  • Reply 18 of 23
    blastdoor said:

holyone said:
    There's a huge difference between needing a stylus in order to operate the device at all and having the stylus as an optional accessory to provide enhanced functionality in specialized situations. 

When the iPhone and iPad first came out, I think it was a good move to make everything finger based. That forced Apple and third party developers to design their UIs for fingers. Now that the finger-first UI is firmly entrenched, I see no problem adding stylus (aka pencil) support for situations where that makes sense. 
    I agree with you that going with finger based UI was a great move back with the first iPhone but that wasn't because they couldn't have implement one, the reasons that made Steve Jobs lambaste the tech at the introduction key note for arguably the most impact full device in the history of technology I think speaks for its self, yes the finger UI is entrenched but that isn't by accident or because stylus development wasn't ready, the tech existed before the iPhone the truth is a stylus on a phone is a terrible user experience as you have to use both hands, and sure there might be cases where the pencil would be useful but these are very few and aren't worthy of such dramatic measures to try and address them, there are far more immediate issues that are of I think greater importance and besides the iPhone with out a stylus has always had a high user satisfaction rating of any phone including galaxy series. The stylus is most excellently suited for devices like the iPhone where it can be used as a fine drawing tool on a large canvas not an inhancement by native functionality intrenched deep in not just softwer but hardware as well for performing truly usefull operations on a well designed device, on the galaxy most things that the stylus is used for can just as easy be performed with a thumb whilst drinking a cup of coffee (unplugged from the charger Offcause) Apple shouldn't be reducing to following gimmicks I believe there still plenty the cupatino boys are to bring for everyone
  • Reply 19 of 23
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    That's your opinion. Talk to the majority of Galaxy Note owners and they'll tell you they love the S-Pen (for most it is the reason they bought the Note.) Many people would love an iPhone phablet with stylus support.
    Why on earth would I talk to Galaxy owners ? Clearly those folks need some kind of intervention "they love the S-Pen (for most it is the reason they bought the Note.)" right says a lot "Many people would love an iPhone phablet with stylus support." many people wont, if they did that exploding little box of garbage would be selling like hot cake in case you aren't aware the explosive 7 is being out sold by last year's iPhone so please go troll some where els with you're nonsense
    "Why on earth would I talk to Galaxy owners ?"

Because there are valid opinions other than your own?

"Clearly those folks need some kind of intervention."

...Sigh.

"many people won't"

And many people will.

"if they did that exploding little box of garbage would be selling like hot cake in case you aren't aware the explosive 7 is being out sold by last year's iPhone"

Actually, prior to the recall the Note was selling very well. Not as well as the iPhone 6S/6S Plus at the same point, granted, but that's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison—it would make more sense to compare the Note 7 strictly to the 6S+ and even that it isn't a completely fair comparison, given the level of competition the Note faces from other Android devices (including other Samsung devices). The Note 7 was easily selling well enough to show there would be a market for a similar iOS device.

"please go troll some where else with your nonsense"

I'm a troll because I don't agree with your opinion? People like you give Apple users a bad name (and people like you on the opposite side give Android users a bad name.) Never once did I bad mouth Apple, claim Android was better, or act in a manner even close to trolling. I provided a real-life example that proves there is a market for a device in which you claim there is not. Not that any of that matters; you won't bother reading any of what I've typed. Not that it would make any difference if you did. I can recognize when I'm feeding a troll.

Oh, and, by the way...

Sent from my iPhone :)
    radarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 23
    brucemc said:
    holyone said:
    You do realize that if Apple brings Pencil support to the iPhone, they are not likely to remove "finger support", right?  You need to head back to the pharmacy for a refill.
    Yes I do realize that stylus doesn't mean fingers go away my point that you aren't getting is that the stylus turns the iPhone into a PDA pre 2007 iPhone and THAT would be a terribly backward way of thinking you're rational that you want to be able to scribble on you're phone like its a little note pad tells a lot about you're level of thinking the is very little game from using a stylus it just sounds very interesting and cool but in reality adds very little to every day use cases that's why Samsung where the first to implement it cause they like useless gimmicks please explane to me this great problem the that theiphone is suffering from that a stylus would uniquely solve, everyone is going on and on about how great having a stylus would be but Apple solves problems not nota dressing niches that do not aply to the vast majority not especially to something as widely used as the iPhone most start by thinking it be cool if ? And Apple starts by thinking wouldn't it be quite useful if ? So be for you start throwing insults that add nothing to the discussion except expose you're ignorance explaine to everyone what great problem the stylus solves
    dasanman69