Casemaker posts high-res potential look at Apple's new darker shade of 'iPhone 7'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
A photo shared with AppleInsider allegedly shows the upcoming "iPhone 7" in a darker shade, possibly supporting rumors of a switch to "space black" instead of gray for Apple's flagship product.

The photo stems from casemaker MobileFun, which is already selling accessories despite the fact that Apple is only set to announce the new phone on Wednesday. The company didn't say anything about the source of the photo or when it was shot.

While the accessory maker suggested they believe the so-called "iPhone 7" is blue, it's possible that lighting or some other factor affected their interpretation of what appears to be a dark, almost black shade. Recent rumors have indicated that Apple will offer at least one shade of black, possibly two, including a matte option and a glossy "piano black."

Accordingly, Apple may be planning to abandon space gray in favor of the new, dark shades.

A handful of rumors have pointed to the chance of a blue iPhone this year. However, the few claims that have appeared could also be cases of misinterpretation.

Apple typically tweaks its color lineup for the iPhone every year, serving as an easy way to differentiate new models when the external appearance is generally the same. New colors from Apple are frequently popular --?last year, the new shade of rose gold for the iPhone 6s was said to have accounted for as much as 40 percent of preorders at launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Hope the antenna bands aren't as white as that!!
    ZebsonsockrolidDeelronzroger73[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 27
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If this is an example of a new 'matte black' shade, why are the antenna bands white? Shouldn't they be black or dark grey to better match the new case shading? I hope this is not indicative of a white front glass panel on a dark body. I much prefer the 'black monolith' look.
    sockrolidjacks64
  • Reply 3 of 27
    There is no way Apple is going to put white antenna bands on a black iPhone.
    irelandDeelronnolamacguyjacks64TurboPGT
  • Reply 4 of 27
    That can't be right. So they make a point of reducing the visibility of antenna bands by running them only on the top and bottom of the phone. Then make them bright white so that you can't miss them? I kinda understand that on a white fronted phone, but on a black phone? Just doesn't seem right.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Give it a day. Colours all wrong.
    zroger73TurboPGT
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I don't think it's real (at best probably a dummy primarily intended to demonstrate dimensions), but I actually quite like the contrast of the white bands and the blue-grey.

But then I'd also be much more excited about a blue back than a black or grey one. Different strokes.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    Don't tell me they couldn't find plastic that matches closer to the alumnium finish.
    Seems out of character for Apple. After all, they usually like grey type on a grey background in their software.
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jacks64 said:
    Hope the antenna bands aren't as white as that!!
    You and me both! :neutral: 

I would prefer them to be either the same color as the phone or a shade darker.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... including a matte option and a glossy "piano black."
    Hoping that the "piano black" rumors are true.
    And it would be great if it were a DLC coating like the Space Black  Watch.
    I'd pay more for that because it would pretty much eliminate the need for a case.

The problem with DLC is that the underlying metal needs to be very strong.
    If it dents even slightly, the DLC coating will crack.  And, being nearly as strong as diamond,
    the loose DLC fragments are very effective abrasives.  I talked with a guy who worked
    with DLC on industrial bearings, and that's what he said.

So DLC on aluminum may not be practical.  Too easy to dent it.  Therefore, if there is a
    DLC coating on iPhone 7, the enclosure would need to be stainless steel like the mid-range  Watch.
    All of which would add cost and weight.  Thus DLC on iPhone 7 seems very unlikely.  :-(
    (Unless it is only available on a premium 256GB iPhone 7 Plus, for $100 more or something. :-( )
    edited September 2016 TurboPGT
  • Reply 10 of 27
    jensonb said:
    I don't think it's real (at best probably a dummy primarily intended to demonstrate dimensions), but I actually quite like the contrast of the white bands and the blue-grey.

But then I'd also be much more excited about a blue back than a black or grey one. Different strokes.
    It depends on where the phone is, but AFAIK the US models no longer have the regulatory labels on the bottom. So I have some suspicions about this model.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:
    Don't tell me they couldn't find plastic that matches closer to the alumnium finish.
    Seems out of character for Apple. After all, they usually like grey type on a grey background in their software.
    Isn't that the truth! I love my iPhone, but the spare Android phone I have offers so much more readability for me. 
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I don't care if they were neon pink. Case hides all but doesn't hide signal degradation.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    jensonb said:

It depends on where the phone is, but AFAIK the US models no longer have the regulatory labels on the bottom. So I have some suspicions about this model.

Yeah, depends on the location. In Canada, all of those labels are there on the phone. At least on my iPhone 6 they are. And that case maker is based in UK it seems, so maybe they require them too. Not entirely sure on that.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I'm done with the black or gray iPhones, they blend with the environment too well, and I can't see them in front of me at home most of the time :-)
  • Reply 15 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Would be very interesting if they did a "piano white" too, perhaps call it "Imagine White" in memory of the white Steinway piano that John Lennon wrote "Imagine" on. Of course they'd have to pay for licenses out the ying-yang to all parties concerned. Still ... would be very cool, perhaps for one of the iPhone 10th Anniversary editions next year.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I want Darth Vader Helmet Black.
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I just wish they'd do a BLACK front with a wider array of models - so i'm pleased to see theyre doing this - the past two - pink and gold - have both been in white. I like the white look of iPhones on the back, but cant stand the black line visible around the LCD on the white versions.
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Perfectly coinciding with Rogue One and Darth Vader's return to the big screen!  lol
  • Reply 19 of 27
    You people and your antenna lines.

You have no idea what you want or what you like. If you saw a color-matched version, you'd probably take one glance and say NAH DISLIKE, IT SHOULD CONTRAST INSTEAD.

You're like a bunch of women arranging a living room.
    anome
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I'm sure it's not happening, but I would actually love a midnight blue iPhone.