FOR THE LOVE OF GOD: How/where/who to check Apple part numbers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to check the part numbers of various Apple models to get an accurate picture of the specification. I don't have the models handy, or I coud just check the system priofile. I need to know what model is what by the part/serial number. Where do I check this? Is ther an easy search on Apple's page?

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
  • Reply 2 of 20
    If you know an AASP I believe the ServiceSource website has access to this. Back when they still fired off SS CDs it came with databases...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Have any more of those PDFs? Those are terribly handy.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Thanks, that helps a bit, but actually, it's a bunch of notebook part numbers that I have to check. Anyone? Can I just call up Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Thanks, that helps a bit, but actually, it's a bunch of notebook part numbers that I have to check. Anyone? Can I just call up Apple?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not unless your an AASP and you need a dealer cic for that.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    any other possibilities?

Can anyone tell me the model numbers for the previous gen powerbooks? 667 and 800?

And a few of the chicklet iBooks?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    <a href="http://angbandcvs.homedns.org:8081/guides/pbg4.pdf"; target="_blank">http://angbandcvs.homedns.org:8081/guides/pbg4.pdf</a>;

Is the Service Doc that has some PB G4 part numbers.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Thanks, I'mgoing to look through it as soon as I download the whole thing. Any such doc out there for iBooks?

Anyone got some sort of dealer/reseller PDF they're willing to part with. I just need to check the spec of some iBooks and powerbooks (G4) not including the most recent updates. All I know is that they aren't the newest models.

For example there were 2 PB667's, the first with 16MB VRAM and VGA out? I think, the later with 32MB VRAM and DVI out, or did they both have DVI out? idunnuh remember capt'n.

Murbot? You've owned just about every mac made in the last 5 years, got any leads? I may soon be an all mac office, yes 'tis true, but fear ye not, 'tis money spent of the good graces of the not for profit grant funds. Publishing may be a bit easier on macs and so long as I'm not paying...
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Matsu, just go up a level in the link I gave you.

iMac, iBK, PB, 1G PB are there.

Good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    So far no luck, I'm looking through that PDF but it doesn't seem to have part numbers for the depicted powerbooks. Maybe i should say Model numbers or product numbers. They have numbers for various components but not to identify the complete system.

But thanks for the leads so far, I'll keep them in mind while I search for the rest.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    What about this:

<a href="http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html"; target="_blank">http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html</a>;

Powerbook 667: M8591LL/A

Powerbook 800: M8592LL/A
  • Reply 12 of 20
    A harty MOOF! to you sir, thank you much, me stupid, couldn't find on me own. thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    One more

What the heck is are

FO 240LL A

FO 243LL A

I know they're iBooks, but I can't find these product numbers anywhere. They might start with M instead of F and the second digit is an O ("oh") not a zero. I put the spacing in...

Anyone anyone?

Edit, actually, the oh's might be "zeros" cann anyone check both?

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 20
    bump
  • Reply 15 of 20
    bump,

Dovebid sucks royal ass. There's virtually no info on some of the lots, terrible. I'd bid, but I don't what I'm bidding on. Tommorow I'm going to make it my mission to get the bid manager fired, a$$hole. Mr. Baird, start packing your brown paper boxes, you have just under an hour to return my e-mail/message.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Yet another bump, I know some of you puckers reading this are voting over at dovebid, bastards! Can somebody tell me what those model numbers stand for before it's too late?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    bump
  • Reply 18 of 20
    AWW FVCK DOVEBID!

I'm getting a Dell, hahaha... actually, I can't get a dell, I have to get a mac, I have to get myself and 4 other people onto Quark, at least 2 of them. Thought it would be good to get them all on the same platform. Oh well, Apple and Dovebid can lick my nads, we have a couple of months yet, we can work out the hardware issue later.

BTW, Bump, you pricks that got a deal, F-U-2, just kidding.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Are you sure those are iBook numbers? Here are all the ibook "Order Numbers" from the spec sheets:
    • Orginal: (not aviable on apple site, from my blueberry 300, 32 mg ram) M7707LL/A

Firewire clamshell: M7721LL/A-Indigo, M7720LL/A, Graphite

Dual USB: M7698LL/A-CD-ROM, M7692LL/A-DVD-ROM, M8520LL/A-Combo

Late 2001: N/A at the site

Jan. 2002: M8597LL/A-12.1 in CD-ROM, M8599LL/A-12.1 in Combo, M7701LL/A-14.1

May 2002: M8600LL/A-12.1 in CD-ROM, M8602LL/A-12.1 in Combo, M8603LL/A-14.1 in

Current: M8860LL/A-12.1 in CD-ROM, M8861LL/A-12.1 in Combo, M8862LL/A-14.1

I have no clue what those numbers are. Where did you get them?

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Spiffster ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 20
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    All Apple part numbers (for systems, anyway) start with M and end in a /A (for revision one).

The new iBooks are:

M8860LL/A - 12" CD

M8861LL/A - 12" Combo

M8862LL/A - 14" Combo

If you can get a hold of one of the boxes, the part number is right on it. Same for the desktop models, just look on the box. There's a white sticker, about 3"x4", that has the part number, serial # and computer description.