Apple Pay adds support for 27 US banks and credit unions

Posted:
in iPhone
Continuing a rapid buildout of Apple Pay services, Apple this week announced a new batch of 27 U.S. banks and credit unions as participating card issuers.

The recent additions come after an August that saw 60 financial institutions appended to Apple's running list of supporting card issuers.

Added to Apple's list:

• Allegiance Credit Union
  • Anchor D Bank
  • Bank of the West
  • Bay Atlantic Federal Credit Union
  • BayCoast Bank
  • Beacon Credit Union
  • BNC National Bank
  • Citizen's Bank of Hickman
  • Coastway Community Bank
  • Community West Credit Union
  • CrossFirst Bank
  • Erie Federal Credit Union
  • First Farmers
  • First National Bank of Aspermont
  • First New York Federal Credit Union
  • Glendale Federal Credit Union
  • JD Bank
  • Lafayette Community Bank
  • McClain Bank
  • Midland National Bank
  • Moven
  • Palmetto Health Credit Union
  • Patterson State Bank
  • Pioneer Bank FSB
  • Southern Mass Credit Union
  • TAPCO Credit Union
  • United Community Bank (LA)

Last month was unusually active for Apple's payments services arm. In early August, Apple Pay gained compatibility with Canadian vending machines and 23 U.S. banks and credit unions. A week later Chick-fil-A announced plans to roll out support at its registers.

August also brought word of new international partnerships, with users in Hong Kong granted access to two financial institutions, while support for three services rolled out in the UK.

After a domestic launch in 2014, Apple Pay has since grown to cover markets in Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K.

Most recently, a report earlier today claims Apple is looking to deliver Apple Pay to Japanese customers via the FeliCa standard, though ongoing negotiations with retailers, banks and payments processors will likely delay launch until next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Dunkin' Donuts takes Pay!
    lkrupplostkiwiSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It's irrelevant how many banks take it if you can't find vendors who let you use it Apple... Still so few people take it.
    waverboySpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 13
    webraider said:
    It's irrelevant how many banks take it if you can't find vendors who let you use it Apple... Still so few people take it.
    I agree. Apple is adding more vendors. My biggest frustration is the lack of adaptation from small businesses. 
    jbdragonwaverboySpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    webraider said:
    I agree. Apple is adding more vendors. My biggest frustration is the lack of adaptation from small businesses. 
    This is the biggest issue with Apple Pay in the U.S..  Businesses supporting it. Still banks are still jumping onboard, which means it's moving forward, not backwards and dying.  There are more and more businesses supporting Apple Pay even though Apple is not mentioning them.  
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I wish more business will adopt Apple Pay. It's surprising some unexpected small business accept Apple Pay though, I stopped by Redding, California a couple of months ago, this tiny burger joint "Damburger" accepts ApplePay after I asked. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    It's mind-blowing how many banks there are in the US! How do they all stay in business? That's a lot of money being paid simply for "service fees", but I guess that would be paid regardless if there was 1 bank or 1000. Competition is a good thing. We need more non-credit union banks in Canada!

As for business adoption, isn't part of the challenge that many still don't have upgraded hardware? Isn't the deadline for having supported hardware next month (October)? If so, that should mean far greater adoption in the months to come, just in time for the new and improved iPhone and Apple Watch [devices].
  • Reply 7 of 13
    webraider said:
    so are you complaining to your local small businesses? it's not like Apple can force them to upgrade their legacy POS terminals.

I must be lucky, lots of small businesses here have newer Verifone terminals which do NFC.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Giant (of Landover) grocery store now takes Apple Pay. They have 169 stores in DC, DE, MD, and VA. Yay... more merchants!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    The two most POS hacked retailers in the US..... Target and Home Depot STILL do not take ApplePay!!!!!!
    SpamSandwichmike1
  • Reply 10 of 13
    webraider said:

It's not quite irrelevant.  Banks and credit users will, over the long term, drive vendors to adoption.  It will take a while, for a variety of reasons.  Large vendors might want to implement their own product, and small vendors won't want to upgrade the equipment needed until absolutely necessary.  Somewhat ironically, ultra-small vendors, such as those already using Square or other phone/tablet solutions, might be quicker to adopt, as in some cases it's a less expensive upgrade than a cash register scanner.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    It's mind-blowing how many banks there are in the US! How do they all stay in business? That's a lot of money being paid simply for "service fees", but I guess that would be paid regardless if there was 1 bank or 1000. Competition is a good thing. We need more non-credit union banks in Canada!
    It's insane! There is a short stretch of road I frequently drive on and within a span of 2000 feet there are six banks/credit unions. Apparently the profit margin is high in the financial services sector.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The two most POS hacked retailers in the US..... Target and Home Depot STILL do not take ApplePay!!!!!!
    I still only use cash at Target and Walmart. I refuse to play their game.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    webraider said:
    Actually, I'm finding more smaller and independent vendors accepting Apple Pay than major chains like Home Depot and Target. My local grocery chains don't accept it either. They did in the beginning but then switched off all NFC capability.

Also, is there a way to tell if a successful NFC transaction is, in fact, using Apple Pay?
    edited September 2016