Strategy Analytics: Apple's iPhone 6s the world's most popular smartphone in Q2

Posted:
in General Discussion
Despite much handwringing about a supposed lack of interest in Apple's latest iPhone in comparison to the mega-cycle upgrade stoked by iPhone 6 at its launch in 2014, data from Strategy Analytics shows that iPhone 6s became "the world's most popular smartphone" in the June quarter.

A Strategy Analytics press release by executive director Neil Mawston noted that Apple sold 14.2 million iPhone 6s units in calendar Q2 2016.

Mawston added, "Apple's iPhone 6s is currently the world's most popular smartphone. The iPhone 6s is wildly popular in dozens of countries globally, due to its attractive hardware design blended with rich features such as 4K video, large multi-touch display, and fingerprint security."

Apple's discounted, previous iPhone 6 model continued to sell another 8.5 million units in the quarter according to the research firm, which kept it narrowly ahead of Samsung's most popular flagship phone, the Galaxy S7 Edge, which achieved third place with 8.3 million shipments. Apple's previous iPhone 6 sold 8.5 million units, which kept it narrowly ahead of Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge with 8.3 million shipments

Woody Oh, a director at the research firm, added that Apple's "iPhone 6 has been on sale for almost two years and it remains near the top of best-seller lists in many regions like Europe."

Overall, Apple's ability to sell leading volumes of high end, premium smartphones not only keeps it well above Samsung but also bucks the stagnant trend among smartphone vendors in general, who are struggling to increase sales of even basic phones with little potential for profitability.

Linda Sui, another director at Strategy Analytics, stated that "total global smartphone shipments grew 1 percent annually from 338.0 million units in Q2 2015 to 341.5 million in Q2 2016. Smartphone growth is sluggish at the moment due to ongoing economic volatility worldwide, high ownership penetration in most major countries, and a lack of new innovation from device manufacturers."

Tomorrow Apple is expected to unveil its newest iPhone 7 model, after months of incessant, vocal speculation by pundits who have largely assumed that another iPhone that looks similar to existing models will be met with a lack of excitement by consumers. However, the key reasons why people upgrade do not appear to be design quirks, but rather Apple's regular jumps in processing power, camera sophistication and display improvements that have driven every new iPhone launch across the past decade.

In July, the Verge claimed that Samsung's Galaxy S7 was outselling iPhone 6s based on a Kantar survey of U.S. buyers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    another frightful year for apple. sell, sell, sell!
    igorsky
  • Reply 2 of 17

Global Smartphone Shipments by Model (Millions of Units)   

Q2 '15

Q2 '16

Apple iPhone 6s

Apple iPhone 6

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

Others

Total

Global Smartphone Marketshare by Model (% of Total)

Q2 '15

Q2 '16

Apple iPhone 6s

0.0%

4.2%

Apple iPhone 6

7.8%

2.5%

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

0.0%

2.4%

Others

92.2%

90.9%

Total

100.0%

100.0%

Source: Strategy Analytics

• Reply 3 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    revenant said:
    another frightful year for apple. sell, sell, sell!
    It must be a real bummer to be an Apple hater getting up in the morning only to find that the company is still here. All those years of solid logic and proof that Apple is a loser, irrelevant, and on its way out only to find out they’re still in business day after day after day. Then your Samsung Note 7 blows up in your face and it’s back to the drawing board for another tirade. Poor old Leo LaPorte over at MacBash Weekly looks more depressed every episode. Andy Ihnatko keeps waving his Android phone in the air and declaring its superiority over iOS with that drab look on his face. Oh the pain of hating Apple and getting no satisfaction or schadenfreude.
    edited September 2016 Deelronration alnolamacguyjony0igorskypalomine
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I heard Q3 is where Sammy catches on fire. 
    baconstangigorsky
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Dilger, you should work for Apple PR.

Every time I see a headline that tries to spin Tim Cook's Apple like its Steve Jobs's, I can smell your name on it from a mile away. 

You really don't want to see that Apple's not doing as well as it did 5 years ago, do you? 

Note, I'm not an Apple hater. I've been an avid Apple user for over 20 years — just not a blind avid user. 

cnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 17

Every time I see a headline that tries to spin Tim Cook's Apple like its Steve Jobs's, I can smell your name on it from a mile away. 

You really don't want to see that Apple's not doing as well as it did 5 years ago, do you? 

Note, I'm not an Apple hater. I've been an avid Apple user for over 20 years — just not a blind avid user. 

Dilger has produced a great deal of thoughtful commentary regarding Apple. 

Why all of the negativity? 

Jobs was a visionary , but do you not remember his days from NeXT? He was too much of a visionary and many of NeXT's products withered on the vine as the technological capabilities simply could not be realized by Jobs' vision. 

The Watch is in the same category. It is a visionary product and one that will one day displace the need for a phone as a communication device. Jobs envisioned it, died before the product could be realized and Cook tried making it a reality. 

While it is a nice product, the technological capabilities just aren't there yet. The radios consume too much power and the battery just doesn't have the capacity to make the product a compelling one. 

It will come. Hopefully Apple makes the product with superior functionality like the iPhone and iPad. The watch is a good product as is but is a luxury, not seen as a must have like the smart phone. 

Apple has great capabilities and hopefully Siri one day Siri exceeds Alexa, Apple maps exceeds Google maps and Apple brings out a revolutionary new product that one day displaces the watch. 

One thing's for certain, Tim Cook has managed Apple's supply chains impeccably, keeping design and quality control exemplary. Apple is doing well and competing very well against the other hardware manufacturers. Google has essentially gotten out of hardware altogether and Microsoft struggles with their surface line of machines. 

Even with Android's 80% marketshare, Google ad profits are still greater on iOS. 

And who really cares about the other 90% of Android devices outside of Apple's iPhones and Samsung's flagship phones where essentially all of the profits are. 
    fotoformatbaconstangpalomine
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Apple today: 107.7. Apple, 5 yrs ago: 53.93. 

You we're saying? 

Who cares if you've been "an avid Apple user for over 20 years". 
    chianolamacguybrucemcbaconstangjony0igorsky
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I love Apple products. But I hate the support in my country. Recently went to one to fix unresponsive touch screen and was told flat out nothing can be done other than getting a new device. Out of desperation, I went to a neighbourhood phone shoplet and have the LCD screen replaced in two hours. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I don't believe this report because it doesn't have the best phone the iPhone SE
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 17

congratulations on utilizing Top Troll Trope #3 -- "I'm not a troll, I've been an Apple fan since..."

you have one single post on AI for your supposed 20 years and it's to dispense FUD. troll. 
    edited September 2016 igorsky
  • Reply 11 of 17

While it is a nice product, the technological capabilities just aren't there yet. The radios consume too much power and the battery just doesn't have the capacity to make the product a compelling one. 
    yeah I'm gonna guess you don't have an AW. it gets better battery life than the iPhone, the device it's an accessory to. it's a compelling product today, and has been delivering me value since day 1. while it will get better with time, that's a given to all tech -- yet it will not replace the smartphone because its use cases are different. a watch is not a smartphone, despite voice abilities. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 12 of 17

Woody Oh, a director at the research firm, 
    not to be confused with Oh Woody.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    Did you know free LTE to over ONE BILLION Indian users is now online?

How did this not make AppleInsider?

The main reason iPhone isn't huge in India is because there is so little LTE coverge and its expensive.

But as of right now ONE BILLION LTE users can get free LTE for the rest of the year in India. This is subsidized by the richest man in India.  This is HUGE NEWS for Apple. HUGE.

No, the main reason the iPhone isn't huge in India is because there is a massive mismatch between incomes and the price of iPhones.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Gotta love the propaganda machine at AI. In the same quarter last year the iPhone 6 sold 26m units and the 6s sold 14m. With Apple shipping 15% less units overall this year I don't know what AI is trying to do with this article. Just call it like it is, sales are falling. With good reason, the 6s was nothing to get excited about. Hopefully Apple has woken up and the 7 will be a nice surprise.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    k2kw said:
    I don't believe this report because it doesn't have the best phone the iPhone SE
    Have you seen any SE numbers? I haven't been able to find them, curious about it though. The 4" size with premium specs is something Apple should never abandon.
  • Reply 16 of 17

Dear "avid Apple user",

Thanks to the internet, you can now do quite a bit of research, for free, and learn a lot about the company and it's various profitable businesses, or the opposite of what you currently know.
    edited September 2016