New photos offer detailed glimpse of 'iPhone 7,' including potential 'piano black' model

Posted:
in iPhone
A new series of photos claim to offer what may be the most detailed preview yet of Apple's anticipated "iPhone 7," including what could turn out to be the previously rumored "piano black" color.

The images make it difficult to determine if the "piano black" model is indeed glossy, as anticipated. Apple is also said to be planning a "dark black" matte color, but that might resemble the Space Black option for 2012's iPhone 5.

Also seen in the photos are silver and space gray models, the latter of which would debunk the idea that Apple is abandoning that color.

Importantly the phones in the images are all consistent with other recent leaks, including large, tapered camera bumps, and relocated antenna bands with matching colors. Several photos show the product's new SIM tray, supporting a Vietnamese site's assertion that Apple has added a rubber seal to improve water resistance.

Apple is scheduled to hold its "iPhone 7" press event at 10 a.m. Pacific time, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be live in San Francisco to provide coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I've never "drowned" my iPhone's but I'll never reject increased device protection. 
  • Reply 2 of 29
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Piano black looks good. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 29
    iPhone 3G Redux.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Yes,looks good,but will probably be a fingerprint magnet unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    jacks64 said:
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    It'll look fantastic inside a transparent protective case.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jacks64 said:
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Tough to tell by the picture, but it does look like you can see smudges & fingerprints on the piano black one. The fit & finish of the piano black one also looks a bit off - specifically around the antenna lines and camera hump...here's to hoping this is just due to it not being a great picture. I was hoping more for a matte black option...guess I'll have to wait another 2.5 hours to find out for sure!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    sog35 said:
    Piano black LOOKS AMAZING!!!

I hope they make Piano White also.

Damn. This may make me upgrade from my 6+
    Looks smudged and/or scratched to me. Hopefully just a bad photo.

Anyway the D&G media is out in full force this morning:

Reuters headline: Apple sets stage for iPhone 7, many already waiting for 8
    CNBC headline: Apple hasn’t innovated since iPhone 4 but the iPhone 7 will sell well
    Verge headline: Today's iPhone event will be a test of trust for Apple
    edited September 2016 anton zuykov
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    And stock will go down right at the time Cook walks on that stage. Buy and make quick bucks in a few days...let say 3-4%.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I wish I had the patience to wait for the live stream.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Lookin forward to Apple's own images. I'm sure we've yet to see it exactly right yet.
    jfc1138
  • Reply 11 of 29
    sog35 said:
    Piano black LOOKS AMAZING!!!

I hope they make Piano White also.

Damn. This may make me upgrade from my 6+
    Looks smudged and/or scratched to me. Hopefully just a bad photo.

Anyway the D&G media is out in full force this morning:

Reuters headline: Apple sets stage for iPhone 7, many already waiting for 8
    CNBC headline: Apple hasn’t innovated since iPhone 4 but the iPhone 7 will sell well
    Verge headline: Today's iPhone event will be a test of trust for Apple
    The media is populated with bottom feeders.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Looks like the Black Stainless Steel version of the Apple Watch, which I have.  The so-called "Diamond-like Coating" is shiny and.. black.   No idea what process is used to create it.  

This is the version I would like to get.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    That piano black photo doesn't look real to me. Look at the top edge where the antenna band is, where lighting typically does weird things to color. It either looked like scratched, or someone did a horrible photoshop color-replacement job.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    In the second picture, how can someone honestly say that the phone looks good.
    Look at the iPhone 4 and 5 then look at this. Huge plastic bands in a translucent color, protruding camera, lack of harmony between the pieces... this looks awful. Am I the only one to think that?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 15 of 29
    The iPhone 7 won't satisfy users or analysts because there won't be enough significant changes. A better cpu, more ram, better camera and removing the headphone jack are just minor improvements. Hopefully there is something more than the rumors we've heard, but I doubt it. We shall find out soon enough though. Expect a stock dip.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    eriamjh said:
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Looks like the Black Stainless Steel version of the Apple Watch, which I have.  The so-called "Diamond-like Coating" is shiny and.. black.   No idea what process is used to create it.  

This is the version I would like to get.
    That would be a great look. I love my black ss Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Tim Cook stepping on stage will surely drive Apple's share price down.  Why couldn't he have the stage presence of Elon Musk.  All Musk has to do is step on stage and smile and Tesla's share price will jump 5%.  I just don't understand.  Apple will undoubtedly sell tens of millions of the high-end iPhone 7 and yet the share price will tank.  Yet, Elon Musk can make some ridiculous promise of how Tesla deliveries might be on time and the stock price will jump 10%.  There is something really wrong with the stock market.  Tim Cook simply doesn't have any powers of persuasion.  No one believes anything he says.  No "reality distortion field" whatsoever.

I've been hearing these stores of how people are already waiting for iPhone 8.  How does that make any sense?  Why would they be waiting for some product that may not even be in development?  This is becoming a world I don't understand at all.  When I was growing up I was usually quite happy with new products and certainly wasn't disappointed because the new product didn't do everything.  I just understood that wasn't the way things worked.  There is no such thing as a perfect product or else there wouldn't be a need for any new models the following years.  To me, most high-end smartphones are amazing devices and to simply dismiss them like they were crap is just stupid.  There is amazing engineering behind those devices.  How could a high-end iPhone 7 be a disappointment to 95% of the consumers on the planet.  No freaking way.  At least not the consumers I know.
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 18 of 29
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    No Apple logo on the piano black??
  • Reply 19 of 29
    crudman said:
    jacks64 said:
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Tough to tell by the picture, but it does look like you can see smudges & fingerprints on the piano black one. 
    as a human being with fingerprints & oils living in a world where things get smudged, this never bothered me and i never understood why people got bent out of shape about fingerprints. I'm not a robot, i don't live in a clean room, and tools are meant to be used. 
    jbishop1039anton zuykov
  • Reply 20 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    crudman said:
    jacks64 said:
    asdasd said:
    Piano black looks good. 
    Tough to tell by the picture, but it does look like you can see smudges & fingerprints on the piano black one. The fit & finish of the piano black one also looks a bit off - specifically around the antenna lines and camera hump...here's to hoping this is just due to it not being a great picture. I was hoping more for a matte black option...guess I'll have to wait another 2.5 hours to find out for sure!
    High-gloss black anything is very tough to photograph well professionally, never mind some guy with a cell phone camera. You need to capture some reflection to show the gloss, but not too much that it no longer looks black. It needs to be meticulously cleaned. Every dust speck and smudge is clear as day.