$369 Apple Watch Series 2 with GPS is swim-proof with 2x brighter display, white ceramic case

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2016
Apple on Wednesday revealed the second-generation Apple Watch, dubbed the Series 2, with built-in GPS, a new waterproof design, and what Apple claims is the brightest display ever shipped in one of its products. It will be priced starting at $369 in a standard edition coming Sept. 16, with a Nike+ running version arriving in October.

With dedicated GPS, the Series 2 will be able to track a user's distance and pace while walking, running, biking and engaging in other exercises. Apple will also allow developers to tap into the GPS radio on the new wearable.

The new Watch is water-resistant to a depth of 50 meters, the industry standard for a swim watch.

New seals and adhesives were developed to ensure these capabilities. The device also has a unique speaker system, which vibrates to eject water after a submerged workout.

Swimming is in fact a major focus of the device. Over 700 swimmers were analyzed for fitness tracking, and the device measures stroke efficiency over time to customize for more accuracy.

The screen on the Series 2 is said to be twice as bright as the first-generation wearable.

Inside, the device boasts a new dual-core S2 system-on-chip that's capable of delivering higher-performance apps. In one demonstration, a real-time astronomy app was said to be running at 60 frames per second.

Cases are made of aluminum or stainless steel, as well as a new white ceramic option that Apple says has a "pearl-like shine," while being four times harder than stainless steel.

Apple also announced a partnership with Nike to create the Apple Watch Nike+, a model designed specifically with runners in mind. It features a stretchy, perforated band, and a lightweight aluminum case.

Nike-specific features include running display modes, unique Siri integration, a Sunday running club, customized motivations and more. The watch itself will come in four colors, and will be priced at the same $369 as other Series 2 models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I'm impressed.

Wonder what the battery life is - they were quiet about that.
    anton zuykovsog35doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well I guess this puts to rest the most common question on Apple’s discussion forums, “Can I wear it while I shower?” Now lets see Consumer Reports and the YouTube anti-Apple army test it out.
    anton zuykovsog35nolamacguystevehcalidoozydozenradiospace
  • Reply 3 of 45
    No always on display and gold models are gone. Pricing starts at $369. No pricing for ceramic model. 1st gen with new processor starting at $269. So basically $80 more for waterproof, GPS and better display.

no mention of battery life so my guess is it's the same as gen 1.

Thankfully Apple got rid of 'collections'. Now just Series 1 and Series 2 in different finishes.
    edited September 2016 sog35doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 45
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    It would be cool if the watch reported your swimming stroke efficiency estimate, so you could know how much you need to improve your stoke.
    edited September 2016 sog35doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 45
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    When he said a new material, I expected titanium, liquid metal or carbon fiber, I would never have guessed ceramic. Interesting choice.
    sog35cali
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Selling the original at a significant price drop was expected.

Getting the newer processor AND a price drop - great move, IMO.
    sog35caliration alwilliamlondondoozydozenradiospacelolliver
  • Reply 7 of 45
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    sog35 said:
    evilution said:
    When he said a new material, I expected titanium, liquid metal or carbon fiber, I would never have guessed ceramic. Interesting choice.
    I'm predicting the next iPhone will be ceramic
    Is ceramic radio transparent? Then there'd be no antenna lines. 
    sog351983lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Full screen confetti! Who hasn't been clamoring for this?
    sog35
  • Reply 9 of 45
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    sog35
  • Reply 10 of 45
    sog35 said:
    No always on display and gold models are gone. Pricing starts at $369. No pricing for ceramic model. 1st gen with new processor starting at $269.

no mention of battery life so my guess is it's the same as gen 1.
    Those gold AppleWatch will be collectors items.

Always on is stupid. Sure way to kill  your battery

Serenity Caldwell who writes for iMore says watchOS 3 on 38mm is dicey. Add GPS and it worries me that battery life might take a hit. Jeff Williams never mentioned battery life.
    sog35doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 45
    sog35 said:
    That high gloss black will look great in a protective case.
    Why? I've owned the 5s and 6 for the last 3 years and never used a case.

Are you suggesting that a significant (if not majority) portion of iPhone users don't use a case?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    lkrupp said:
    Well I guess this puts to rest the most common question on Apple’s discussion forums, “Can I wear it while I shower?” Now lets see Consumer Reports and the YouTube anti-Apple army test it out.
    I shower with mine every day. Cook said you could at launch. Catch up. 
    calidoozydozenlolliverxzumacxpress
  • Reply 13 of 45
    evilution said:
    Titanium would have ran the company to increase the price so it's pretty surprising that Apple didn't go in that direction so A) maybe a supply shortage or titanium interrupted the radio. Carbon fiber has a shorter life span. The back of the steel series is actually ceramic so that's a great move in the material switch. It would be great to echo what others have said to see the iPhone in a ceramic option but maybe not the whole phone because the watch and phone are handled quite differently and I doubt a whole ceramic phone could handle a rigourous test. 
  • Reply 14 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    They seemingly replaced the processor, so they kind of upgraded series 1 too. So, the difference is AOK with me.
    ericthehalfbeestevehDavidAlGregorycalidoozydozenlolliverurahara
  • Reply 15 of 45
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    $199 would make it to easy of a decision to buy the Series 1.
    Now its a hard decision and many will buy the Series 2 if they have the $$
    Tim Cook's Apple is all about hard choices. Nothing is easy anymore. And the executive team hopes the hard choice you make is the more expensive choice.
    stevehdoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 45
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    evilution said:
    makes sense.

one of the most abused parts of (high-end) cars, the disc brakes, have been ceramic composites for a long time now. very durable, very resilient, very light.

edited September 2016 kevin kee
  • Reply 17 of 45
    new features look awesome. not much more than what the orig price was. 
    kevin keedoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 45
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    $199 would make it to easy of a decision to buy the Series 1.
    Now its a hard decision and many will buy the Series 2 if they have the $$
    Tim Cook's Apple is all about hard choices. Nothing is easy anymore. And the executive team hopes the hard choice you make is the more expensive choice.
    uh duh, why wouldn't they? capitalism. of course they hope you spend more, but it's not like they're holding a gun to your head. 
    ration alkevin keedoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Some of the Android Wear watches have always on and get the same if not better battery life. They use an ambient mode which just sips battery. I was OK without the always on in the Apple Watch but the display did not always go on with a wrist turn, forcing you to actually raise your arm. Not good when I just need a quick time glance in a meeting and such.
    afrodri
  • Reply 20 of 45
    So looking on Apple's website they didn't get rid of the Editiion branding. Ceramic now occupies the edition space and the gold models are gone. Ceramic starts at $1249.
    ration alkevin keedoozydozen