What to expect from today's Apple event: 'iPhone 7,' Apple Watch with GPS, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    "Sept. 7 is the iPhone's stage."

Anyone remember the last time the MacBook Pro had the stage? I don't which is probably why I'm typing this on a 2011 MBP.
    lolliverteaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Wireless headphones are great when they have power.  Nothing worse than you want to listen to music and the headphone dies but the phone still has plenty of power.
    Having a method to charge the headphones on the go will be a big deal.  A lightning cord that connects phone to headset and charges whilst still allowing music to be heard would be fantastic.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    doggone said:
    Wireless headphones are great when they have power.  Nothing worse than you want to listen to music and the headphone dies but the phone still has plenty of power.
    Having a method to charge the headphones on the go will be a big deal.  A lightning cord that connects phone to headset and charges whilst still allowing music to be heard would be fantastic.
    Many wireless headphones currently have 3.5mm jacks. Beats has this and uses the port to both charge and use the headphones as normal wired headphones when they run low on charge. This is nothing new. Apple will certainly allow them to function in this manner at a minimum. It remains to be see whether Apple will allow the iPhone Lightning port to boh power and charge headphones. I could see Apple allowing that with something like wireless AirPods in the same way the Pencil can be briefly recharged to gain several hours of use.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    The pencil is a good example and I hope they do the same thing with the headphones.  A lightning connection would be the best.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,354member
    Hmmm. . . Apple Pencil and the iPhone partnering up? 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 26 of 31
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    TurboPGT said:
    palegolas said:
    This is in my opinion the field where the current iPhones perform the worst. Taking photos in dimly lit conditions with the current iPhones is just sad. Shooting videos in the dark, however, is disastrous. 
    That's not an opinion. That's a fact of the world of photography. Have you ever seen the lights that professional photographers and videographers use in night conditions so that the capture doesn't suck? Photography begins and ends with one thing...Light. It is all about light. And there are only so many tricks a camera and lens can do in the absence of light.

Besides, the iPhone 6 Plus has been taking incredibly low light photos for 2 years now. You just have to use the flash. I'm amazed by the people that complain about poor low light photos and their examples are taken without the flash. As if that is even an option in low light conditions.
    A flash only lights up a few feet in front of the lens. The reason my expensive digital SLR camera takes clear night time photos without a flash is because the image sensor is 35mm which is dozens of times larger than an iPhone camera sensor. Current technology simply cannot shrink the light sensitivity of my large CMOS sensor down to the size of a chicklet. Not until they invent a new type of sensor will this ever happen.
    teaearlegreyhotsingularity
  • Reply 27 of 31
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I'm surprised to see that they are streaming it in 21:9 ultra wide ratio. Nice!
    Looks great on my LG 21:9 monitor.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,315member
    Two iPhone questions:

1. Will optical zoom mean the lens moves, as with an SLR camera?
    2. How will Apple provide water-resistance of the Lightning port (that is not possible with the headphone port)?

Looking forward to Wednesday!
    Typically, the lens would move. It could be completely inside the lens body or the phone itself and not visible externally. However, the dual lens design may allow a new solution that would not require the lens to physically move. Perhaps the lenses have two different focal ranges and the software controls the the two lenses to achieve an optical zoom. I'll be anxious to see.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,315member
    bill42 said:
    TurboPGT said:
    palegolas said:
    This is in my opinion the field where the current iPhones perform the worst. Taking photos in dimly lit conditions with the current iPhones is just sad. Shooting videos in the dark, however, is disastrous. 
    That's not an opinion. That's a fact of the world of photography. Have you ever seen the lights that professional photographers and videographers use in night conditions so that the capture doesn't suck? Photography begins and ends with one thing...Light. It is all about light. And there are only so many tricks a camera and lens can do in the absence of light.

Besides, the iPhone 6 Plus has been taking incredibly low light photos for 2 years now. You just have to use the flash. I'm amazed by the people that complain about poor low light photos and their examples are taken without the flash. As if that is even an option in low light conditions.
    A flash only lights up a few feet in front of the lens. The reason my expensive digital SLR camera takes clear night time photos without a flash is because the image sensor is 35mm which is dozens of times larger than an iPhone camera sensor. Current technology simply cannot shrink the light sensitivity of my large CMOS sensor down to the size of a chicklet. Not until they invent a new type of sensor will this ever happen.
    Mostly it's because you can leave the iris open much longer to get the amount of light required for a decent image. However, that also opens up the likelihood of moving the camera and blurry images if you don't use a tripod.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Saw this on twitter. Big mistake IMO if Apple ditches headphone jack and makes wireless headphones super expensive.

Abdel Ibrahim (@abdophoto)
    On latest @atpfm @marcoarment speculates that Apple’s AirPods would cost $100. If what Ive heard is true, they’ll be a lot more than that.
    doom! doooom!

why can't you just keep using your cheapies?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Funny, the dipwads kept the volume buttons directly opposite the power button on the new iPhone.  So much for single-handed use.  Harkens back to antenna-gate:  "But you're holding it wrong!"  

Geniuses.