Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will ship not only with a pair of Lightning-connected EarPods, but also a legacy headphone adapter in the box, Apple announced on Wednesday.

It takes "courage" to move on from the longstanding 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said on Wednesday. He said users want new features in their phones, where space is at a premium --?eliminating the headphone jack allows for that kind of innovation.

Every iPhone 7 unit will ship with Lightning EarPods, utilizing the digital audio capabilities of Apple's proprietary port. And to ease the switch, Apple is also including an adapter in the box that will allow users to connect traditional headphones to the Lightning port.

Apple did not indicate how much additional Lightning to Headphone Adapters will cost when purchased separately from the iPhone 7. The company also unveiled new AirPods wireless headphones, which will be sold separately from the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
  • Reply 2 of 113
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    joe28753singularitybigpicsaldolinicnocbuicully
  • Reply 3 of 113
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    joe28753aldolinicully
  • Reply 4 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever.
    edited September 2016 mwhitelkruppdavenTurboPGTaldolinistevehthepixeldocjkichlinenetmageloquitur
  • Reply 5 of 113
    I hope they made improvements to Music. It really drains my battery on my 6S.

No price mentioned for the wireless buds so I'm assuming they'll be very expensive.
    aldolini
  • Reply 6 of 113
    the new W1 wireless chip and user experience looks awesome. easy pairing, and seamless switching between devices -- removes the awful experience of BT. 

I'm on many conference calls a day, will be getting a pair of the AirPods for sure. then maybe one of the new Beats offerings for the gym. 
    williamlondonaldolinikevin keelostkiwithepixeldocequality72521lolliveruraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 113
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    zmas said:

No, because I never listen to it while it's charging.  It usually means it's plugged in somewhere in my house or office, which also means I'm near my computer (as most would be) so it's irrelevant.

Oh... you're a special person where you plug your phone in and have zero options to be near your computer, or just cannot fathom to be disconnected from your phone for even an hour to get a decent charge that you have a hissy-fit and tech-withdrawals?  So sad to be you.
    davenTurboPGTwilliamlondonaldoliniration alkevin keeronnloquituresstekurahara
  • Reply 8 of 113
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. Forget the adapter, how do you charge your phone while listening with the Lightning Ear Buds? How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    edited September 2016 joe28753bigpicsZooMigoaldolinitwidan911cullyM.G
  • Reply 9 of 113
    mac_128 said:
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
    he didn't seem uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    edited September 2016 williamlondonronnthepixeldocequality72521lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever.
    Expect for those of us that it all the time.
    edited September 2016 joe28753singularitytwidan911cnocbuicully
  • Reply 11 of 113
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    zmas said:
    Have you ever done that?
    kevin keenetmagejbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 113

zmas said:
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    fallenjtai46TurboPGTwilliamlondonration alkevin keethepixeldoclolliverjbdragonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 13 of 113

twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    they're smarter and more successful than you. I want the new tech. you can keep your old tech with old products. 
    williamlondontmayration alkevin keethepixeldocnetmagelolliverjbdragonroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 113
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    One word - third party. And it wouldn't surprise me if an Apple version will be available shortly. As for Steve Jobs - you mean the guy that gave us the cube, and the hockey puck mouse?
    nolamacguyaldoliniwelshdogration alkevin keeronnjbdragonroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 113
    mac_128 said:

he didn't see, uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    I thought they'd really play up water resistance or something special/new with lightning as the reason for removing the jack but they didn't really. At least air pods were cheaper than I expected. I thought for sure $199 or more.
    ration alkevin keeronnjkichline
  • Reply 16 of 113
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    edited September 2016 aldolinironn
  • Reply 17 of 113
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. Forget the adapter, how do you charge your phone while listening with the Lightning Ear Buds? How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    AirPods + charging is easy -- just plug in while using wireless. if both your phone and your headphones are dead, you failed, try again next time. 
  • Reply 18 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    twidan911 said:
    How many people do that? 
    jkichlineuraharajbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 113
    zmas said:
    You have a legitimate complaint, but a bit premature. They did not show us what comes in the box. I'm still holding out hope for a passthrough Lightning charging cable. Nothing new to buy, not any harder to use than before, in fact it would simplify a lot of things over the way people do this now.
  • Reply 20 of 113
    mac_128 said:
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    I wonder what the reason is for the stem? I guess they couldn't fit everything inside without it. Is there a mic down there?