Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    evilution said:
    zmas said:
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    Have you ever done that?
    Very funny! :)
    kevin kee
  • Reply 22 of 113
    mac_128 said:
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    I wonder what the reason is for the stem? I guess they couldn't fit everything inside without it. Is there a mic down there?
    yes. did you watch the video? sensors at the end.

happily there are other models to choose from. should put an end to the constant complaining, right? naaaah
    edited September 2016 ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 113
    mac_128 said:
     No mention how these can be used for charging and listening
    Because no one cares.
    tallest skilkevin keechabignolamacguyjbdragon
  • Reply 24 of 113
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This reminds me of when Apple dropped the floppy drive in the original iMac. People bitched up a storm, but time moved on and the iMac as well know very successful despite its massive advances in technology. I have no reason to believe Apple will do the same with this. Were in a world now where things don't, and shouldn't have to be wired 24/7. Computers, phones, watches, TV's, etc are all going wireless. It only makes sense and when there's the small time when you do want wired its available with an included adapter. Apple could have shipped it separately as an accessory for $29 or something, but they didn't. 
    kevin keeequality72521jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 113
    sflocal said:
    zmas said:

No, because I never listen to it while it's charging.  It usually means it's plugged in somewhere in my house or office, which also means I'm near my computer (as most would be) so it's irrelevant.

Oh... you're a special person where you plug your phone in and have zero options to be near your computer, or just cannot fathom to be disconnected from your phone for even an hour to get a decent charge that you have a hissy-fit and tech-withdrawals?  So sad to be you.
    Yes, because corporate IT departments allow you to install iTunes...not so much. I have no interest in using my work computer for any software like iTunes etc. I charge my phone while at my desk and listen to music ALL day while also charging it. Just because you can't fathom this particular workflow doesn't mean that a large group doesn't do exactly that.
    singularitylorin schultzcullywiggin
  • Reply 26 of 113
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    sflocal said:
    zmas said:

No, because I never listen to it while it's charging.  It usually means it's plugged in somewhere in my house or office, which also means I'm near my computer (as most would be) so it's irrelevant.

Oh... you're a special person where you plug your phone in and have zero options to be near your computer, or just cannot fathom to be disconnected from your phone for even an hour to get a decent charge that you have a hissy-fit and tech-withdrawals?  So sad to be you.
    I'm glad Apple's designing for you only.  And you seem like such a nice, empathetic guy too, so we're doubly blessed.
    kevin keebenavalonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Three fucking new members just to complain here, how MacRumors. Any way we can automatically transfer their memberships there, or possibly they're already members and just came here to spread their stink around.
    tmaypscooter63ration allostkiwikevin keethepixeldocequality72521monstrositynolamacguyjbdragon
  • Reply 28 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    the new W1 wireless chip and user experience looks awesome. easy pairing, and seamless switching between devices -- removes the awful experience of BT. 

I'm on many conference calls a day, will be getting a pair of the AirPods for sure. then maybe one of the new Beats offerings for the gym. 
    I suspect that they are still using bluetooth, it will be interesting though to find out the details of the W1 chip. Apple custom silicon tech is really expending but they also have little choice to shrink things down. AirPods are interesting tech but the design of the devices leaves a bit to be desired. They will have the look of ear rings with the long stem. Not a big user of things that go into ones ear so this isn't a problem for me anyways.
  • Reply 29 of 113

twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    they're smarter and more successful than you. I want the new tech. you can keep your old tech with old products. 
    Speak for yourself, they're smarter than you, doesn't mean their smarter than many of us. 
    singularitytwidan911cully
  • Reply 30 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mac_128 said:
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
    he didn't seem uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    Had to do several public speaking engagements in college as part of a communications course. Absolutely the worst possible experience when it comes to college. These guys pull off these reveals like real pros if you ask me.
    williamlondoncanukstormequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 113
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    fallenjt said:
    twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    How many people do that? 
    I know one.  For starters.  

When I plug it into a non-bluetooth amp in my basement office.  Oh well, guess I can spend the money on a BT adaptor.....  ...but the point is, that jack's not necessarily just for headphones...
    twidan911ewtheckmancully
  • Reply 32 of 113

zmas said:
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    The BT Buds don't last very long between charges. That's reserved for the Beats ones at $159 (or more).
    I put my phone in my car and charge it from a 12v adapter. The Car really does not handle any phone apart from Windows ones very well w,r,t, accepting calls and using the hands free. So I use a headphone with mic and stop to take calls. The phone is still being charged.

So now it is one thing or the other. In my eyes, this is a huge loss of functionality and ease of use.
    Until a dual TB adapter comes out there is no way that I will upgrade my phone.
    Sorry Apple you screwed up, big time.

cully
  • Reply 33 of 113
    i'd like Ai to have two buttons upon logging in...First "Anyone w/ a college degree or has read a book in the last two years!" and the other entry button to be for "Everyone Else!" or maybe simply, "Positive People," and "Negative People." Or better yet, "Positive People," and "Dumb Asses!"

I'm done reading these posts. Later Dumb Asses!
    They should also have a button that you can click on posts that hurt your feelings, and they should even make it available to view when they click your profile. That way the internet can accomodate your feelings.
    cully
  • Reply 33 of 113
    High resolution audio would have totally made my day!!!
    twidan911netmage
  • Reply 35 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    twidan911 said:
    I'm thinking a pair of the new wireless Airpods pods would solve that problem for you.  This is reminiscent of the bitching over dropping CD drives on Macs.  Tech moves on.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonchabigronnjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 113
    TurboPGT said:
    mac_128 said:
    Because no one cares.
    Why do people keep assuming if they don't care about something no one else does. I can damn well guarantee you I'm not the only one that listens to music while charging my phone when I'm at home. Bottom line is it was an option/feature that's now been taken away and I don't think Apple did a good enough job explaining the benefits to consumers. Maybe instead of Instagram and game demos they could have spent more time on new home button and Taptic Engine features. Again I don't think they made the case to the the average non-techie consumer why removing the headphone jack is a benefit to them.
    twidan911lorin schultzcullywiggin
  • Reply 37 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever, you fucking shill.
    tl;dr (you seem ADHD): Stating legitimate concerns doesn't make me a shill. Denying that these could be legitimate concerns makes YOU a shill.

I keep my phone charged while playing music on speakers at home, so it's topped off when I leave. Or play music on a sleep timer while charging bedside. Others (esp those using iPhone as a hearing assist) charge from a small USB battery while using earbuds.

Beyond that, I don't want to dick around with a dongle every time I want to hear music, and Bluetooth audio is still shit. Lightning also adds the potential for DRM lockdown.

I always regret reading the comments on this site. So much stoopid.
    edited September 2016 singularityewtheckmanlorin schultzcully
  • Reply 38 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

zmas said:
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    The BT Buds don't last very long between charges. That's reserved for the Beats ones at $159 (or more).
    I put my phone in my car and charge it from a 12v adapter. The Car really does not handle any phone apart from Windows ones very well w,r,t, accepting calls and using the hands free. So I use a headphone with mic and stop to take calls. The phone is still being charged.

So now it is one thing or the other. In my eyes, this is a huge loss of functionality and ease of use.
    Until a dual TB adapter comes out there is no way that I will upgrade my phone.
    Sorry Apple you screwed up, big time.

This is a dumbest reason for justifying the use of iPhone: analog headphone port! And Apple don't screw up...maybe only for few of you, not the rest of the world. Remember floppy disk, optical drives in Mac and 30-pin connector in idevices? Whinyass people complained no matter what and Apple still sold millions of them more...
    edited September 2016 nolamacguyjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 113
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    mac_128 said:
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    I wonder what the reason is for the stem? I guess they couldn't fit everything inside without it. Is there a mic down there?
    There's a battery in there, and a mic on the end. 
    ration alnetmage
  • Reply 40 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    TurboPGT said:
    mac_128 said:
    Because no one cares.
    Why do people keep assuming if they don't care about something no one else does. I can damn well guarantee you I'm not the only one that listens to music while charging my phone when I'm at home. Bottom line is it was an option/feature that's now been taken away and I don't think Apple did a good enough job explaining the benefits to consumers. Maybe instead of Instagram and game demos they could have spent more time on new home button and Taptic Engine features. Again I don't think they made the case to the the average non-techie consumer why removing the headphone jack is a benefit to them.
    Then you are a prime customer for Apple's new Airpods and another sale for Apple.  Pretty darned clever if you ask me.
    williamlondonai46macxpresswatto_cobra