Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    Remember when no one did that, ever, you fucking shill.
    I did that yesterday. In my car. And the day before. And on Sunday when I also used GPS.
    twidan911lorin schultz
  • Reply 42 of 113
    hoodslide said:
    tl;dr (you seem ADHD):
    Great argument. How about this: they got rid of ADB and SCSI and people like you whined, and then you shut the fuck up when no one listened to you and got with the fucking program pretty damn quickly.

And you’re going to do it this time, too. So I’m not worried.
    fochernolamacguyjbdragonbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 43 of 113
    twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    Buy a splitter.
    williamlondonnolamacguyjbdragon
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Is the post for gazelle (to sell your iphone) a paid advert? It wont allowme to comment on. I was gonna say thats a ripoff site.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 45 of 113
    I listen and charge at my desk all the time. Now I'm saved a little bit that I have the  charging case so I end up charging that separately and then using that to charge my phone but the functionality necessary is still the same.

I liken this to the new Macbook with the single USB-C port (which coincidentally has an audio port ;) ). I had an instance where I needed to restore my iPhone so I plugged it in to my Mac (with a USB to USB-C adapter of course). However, my Mac needed to be either plugged in and charging or at a certain battery level before the restore would start. As you could guess I couldn't do both at the same time. Since I didn't have a *separate* adapter (with USB-C and USB to USB-C, this one) I had to wait to charge my Mac before I could restore my iPhone. Not the end of the world but still a hassle.

That's what many people are going to face here. Deal with the hassle or by some adapter to give you all the functionality back. The reason this doesn't bother Apple is that they have a good idea of the number of people this will affect and that number is not big enough to warrant sticking to the status quo. This is not new from Apple.
    twidan911ration alkevin keenetmagelorin schultzwigginindiekiduk
  • Reply 46 of 113
    mac_128 said:
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
    he didn't see, uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    I thought they'd really play up water resistance or something special/new with lightning as the reason for removing the jack but they didn't really. At least air pods were cheaper than I expected. I thought for sure $199 or more.
    The jack was removed for two major reasons:

1. Make room for Taptic engine
    2. Make room for stereo speakers.

Very obvious when Schiller was showing the pictures of the insides of the iPhone 7.
    williamlondonkevin keenetmageronnnolamacguyjbdragonSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zmas said:
    Expect for those of us that it all the time fucking troll.
    Then get wireless buds, or better yet, don't buy an iPhone. 
    williamlondonronnnolamacguyjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 113
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    hoodslide said:
    tl;dr (you seem ADHD):
    Great argument. How about this: they got rid of ADB and SCSI and people like you whined, and then you shut the fuck up when no one listened to you and got with the fucking program pretty damn quickly.

Not usually (or perhaps never before) one to agree with tallest skil, but right is right. All this outrage, while recorded for posterity, will be history in a few months.

Want to listen to music while charging? Get the AirPods or the myriad other wireless headset options. Pissed that you have to buy wireless headphones? Oh well. Plus, in the next month someone is gonna release a dual port adapter for $20 that lets you plug in headphones and charge at the same time. It just won't be an Apple product.

Seriously, people need to get over it.
    thepixeldocwilliamlondonnetmagetallest skilnolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 113
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I listen and charge at my desk all the time. Now I'm saved a little bit that I have the  charging case so I end up charging that separately and then using that to charge my phone but the functionality necessary is still the same.

I liken this to the new Macbook with the single USB-C port (which coincidentally has an audio port ;) ). I had an instance where I needed to restore my iPhone so I plugged it in to my Mac (with a USB to USB-C adapter of course). However, my Mac needed to be either plugged in and charging or at a certain battery level before the restore would start. As you could guess I couldn't do both at the same time. Since I didn't have a *separate* adapter (with USB-C and USB to USB-C, this one) I had to wait to charge my Mac before I could restore my iPhone. Not the end of the world but still a hassle.

That's what many people are going to face here. Deal with the hassle or by some adapter to give you all the functionality back. The reason this doesn't bother Apple is that they have a good idea of the number of people this will affect and that number is not big enough to warrant sticking to the status quo. This is not new from Apple.
    If I could upvote twice I would, you have the most reasonable comment far. 
    netmage
  • Reply 50 of 113
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    paxman said:
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    One word - third party. And it wouldn't surprise me if an Apple version will be available shortly. As for Steve Jobs - you mean the guy that gave us the cube, and the hockey puck mouse?
    You mean they guy that gave us Apple, the Mac, the mouse, OSX, the iPhone and the iPad.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 113
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I hope they made improvements to Music. It really drains my battery on my 6S.

No price mentioned for the wireless buds so I'm assuming they'll be very expensive.
    $159
    jbdragon
  • Reply 52 of 113
    focher said:
    hoodslide said:
    tl;dr (you seem ADHD):

Not usually (or perhaps never before) one to agree with tallest skil, but right is right. All this outrage, while recorded for posterity, will be history in a few months.

Want to listen to music while charging? Get the AirPods or the myriad other wireless headset options. Pissed that you have to buy wireless headphones? Oh well. Plus, in the next month someone is gonna release a dual port adapter for $20 that lets you plug in headphones and charge at the same time. It just won't be an Apple product.

Seriously, people need to get over it.
    cnocbui said:
    paxman said:
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    One word - third party. And it wouldn't surprise me if an Apple version will be available shortly. As for Steve Jobs - you mean the guy that gave us the cube, and the hockey puck mouse?
    You mean they guy that gave us Apple, the Mac, the mouse, OSX, the iPhone and the iPad.
    Yeah, that guy; the one who told us we were holding his phone wrong and had to be convinced that allowing apps on the phone was a good idea.

People like to throw Jobs's name around because they think it's a quick way to win an argument. Don't bother; his greatest strength wasn't that he was always right, because he wasn't. His real talent was learning from his mistakes.
    netmageronnnolamacguyjbdragonwatto_cobraewtheckman
  • Reply 53 of 113
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Hey, for all you whiners whining about not being able to charge your iPhone and play music at the same, get one of these and STFU: 
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNN62/iphone-lightning-dock-black?fnode=42
    studiomusictallest skilronnnolamacguySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 113
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    hoodslide said:
    zmas said:
    tl;dr (you seem ADHD): Stating legitimate concerns doesn't make me a shill. Denying that these could be legitimate concerns makes YOU a shill.

I keep my phone charged while playing music on speakers at home, so it's topped off when I leave. Or play music on a sleep timer while charging bedside. Others (esp those using iPhone as a hearing assist) charge from a small USB battery while using earbuds.

Beyond that, I don't want to dick around with a dongle every time I want to hear music, and Bluetooth audio is still shit. Lightning also adds the potential for DRM lockdown.

I always regret reading the comments on this site. So much stoopid.

Sorry, but the level of whining coming from neeeeeeeeeeeeding to use a doooooooongle, is juvenile and asinine. Tell me you've NEVER in your entire life made do with an adapter or dongle on any device ever? Everyone has. I have zip lock bags full of analog and digital converters, adapters and dongles that I've used over the years. It's not the end of the world.

You whine about a dongle, but completely dismiss Bluetooth, which is completely wireless... Not only is there no dongle to dick around with... There's no wires!!! And your assessment that BT "is still shit" might be valid, except that Phil addressed that part of BT failures and said they've been working hard to make sure it's a much better experience. Hell they even designed their own BT wireless chip!!!

Have a little patience... There's a week in a half before the iPhone even hits the streets. I'm sure soon enough there will be plenty of companies making an adapter so that you charge and listen at the same time.
  • Reply 55 of 113

And that's about the size of it. Apple's most valuable customer base are the young and adaptable, not the people who hang around here, wailing and tearing out their hair over Apple removing punched card support in the next version of the Mac.

• Reply 56 of 113
    and we gain another couples of hours battery time , amazing: to all the headphone jack change haters- go back to the previous decade where you belong and die
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 113
    fallenjt said:
    twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    How many people do that? 
    he likes to jack off
    tallest skil
  • Reply 58 of 113

GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. Forget the adapter, how do you charge your phone while listening with the Lightning Ear Buds? How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    People like you are probably still missing the floppy disk and cd rom drives. - no the joke is on you buddy  you are living in the past! Meanwhile the rest of us the majority will love it
    williamlondonjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 113
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    TurboPGT said:
    mac_128 said:
     No mention how these can be used for charging and listening
    Because no one cares.
    Why do people keep assuming if they don't care about something no one else does. I can damn well guarantee you I'm not the only one that listens to music while charging my phone when I'm at home. Bottom line is it was an option/feature that's now been taken away and I don't think Apple did a good enough job explaining the benefits to consumers. Maybe instead of Instagram and game demos they could have spent more time on new home button and Taptic Engine features. Again I don't think they made the case to the the average non-techie consumer why removing the headphone jack is a benefit to them.

I thought he explained it fairly well...

1) old technology - Apple is known for chopping tech off at the knees when they think it's time. He said for what they have planned for audio in the future - the 3.5mm connection had no place.

2) single purpose component, took up a lot of valuable internal space that could be used for something else (as you mentioned, the Taptic engine was sitting right where the audio port used reside.)

3) A lot more different types of data can be transmitted over a digital connection - in real time. One example was offloading noise cancellation to the device. Basically this means you can build more "high-end" headphones, for a much cheaper price.

edited September 2016 williamlondonronnnolamacguyjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 113

twidan911 said:
    they're smarter and more successful than you. I want the new tech. you can keep your old tech with old products. 
    He won't ever get it , still immature  , still likes to Jack off! lol

Humans basically divide  into two camps those who embrace the future and "traditionalists  who don't. The latter die out and that is how we evolve
    williamlondonnolamacguyjbdragon