Apple debuts $159 AirPods wireless earbuds with W1 wireless chip, 5 hours of battery life

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it! :)
    It's right, but with one mistake: it needs a loop add-on for around the ear guarantee.
    roger wade
  • Reply 22 of 113
    These will be a tough sell. Especially when you can get three versions of Beats Wireless in roughly that price range that have volume/FF/Pause/Play controls, connect each bud to the other by a cord, have over-the-ear clasps to hold it in place, and longer battery life. Assuming of course that they share the new 'Connect' feature without having to fuss around with a BT list in Settings.

Do the Beats, and other brands, include a microphone?

I think a microphone is going to become very important!

Apple didn't announce a capability that I hoped to see (hear, actually)...  Well, maybe next year  :'(

pscooter63kevin kee
  • Reply 23 of 113
    What is the minimum iPhone model they will work with? 4s? 5? 7?
  • Reply 24 of 113
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    He didn't really say anything about the sound quality. I'm going to be very interested to hear the reviews on these. I was really hoping for them to gush about the audio quality improvements made over BT, so this is not promising that we're going to get BT 5, or anything better audio wise than 4.1 compression. No mention of AAC or other quality improvements. Odd. 

I don't hate these, but I don't love these either. Not sure I would wear them. I also wonder what accessories come in the box with them in terms of lanyards, etc.

Gotta say I was hoping for a lot more from Apple in removing the headphone jack. Still too early to tell until we get teardowns, and other specs for everything announced today.
    roger wade
  • Reply 25 of 113
    I was hoping for a lot lower price. Definitely not for me.
    roger wade
  • Reply 26 of 113
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    In three years time, the battery life will be down to 2.5 hrs.  At 4 years you throw  $160 in the bin because you will not be able to replace the batteries.
    singularityroger wade
  • Reply 27 of 113
    sog35 said:
    icoco3 said:
    Ouch on the price but a lot of tech in there....oops, it fell out, off the cliff. :wink: 
    I'm sure there be thousands of accessories available to connect the two pods together
    A choker with connection to these would keep them close by.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    159? No tax?
    roger wade
  • Reply 29 of 113
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tzterri said:
    I think I'll stick with my $20 ones. http://amzn.to/2cassfE
    Who gives a frack really.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 113
    yes, bring it! i hate having these sitting on my desktop for conference calls:

...AirPods will be perfect, especially since i often shift from iPhone to iPod to mac, etc..

and maybe a sportier pair for the gym depending on how they hold.
    edited September 2016 ration alkevin keesteveh
  • Reply 31 of 113

These will be a tough sell. Especially when you can get three versions of Beats Wireless in roughly that price range that have volume/FF/Pause/Play controls, connect each bud to the other by a cord, have over-the-ear clasps to hold it in place, and longer battery life. Assuming of course that they share the new 'Connect' feature without having to fuss around with a BT list in Settings.
    as an office jockey that takes a lot of calls, i don't need physical play controls -- these are perfect. will replace the EarPods i use for calls today.
    kevin keedoozydozenstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 113
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tzterri said:
    I think I'll stick with my $20 ones. http://amzn.to/2cassfE
    Nice reviews.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 113
    From the presentation, it sounded like (no pun intended) that the wireless technology was something other than Bluetooth, which made me curious as to compatibility with other Apple products...

Answers here:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Turns out it is Bluetooth, and works on most devices, but a note (1) says "Requires an iCloud account and macOS Sierra, iOS 10, or watchOS 3." I get the OS version requirement, but the iCloud account requirement is interesting. I guess that's how connecting to just one device more or less automatically makes the connection with all other devices?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 113
    2oh1 said:
    The fact that the earpods hold 5 hours of charge and the case holds 24 hours of charge, and both can be charged at the same time... that's brilliant. My only worry is about how easy it'll be to lose one of them. At one point during the presentation, Phil showed another product ( a sports earbuds thing?) where the two sides were connected by a short wire. For individual earpieces, that seems smart. I assume a future generation of Earpods will have some sort of GPS so that if you lose one, your iPhone can find it.
    I prefer wireless buds that are connected by a wire. 
    Except the wire does a marvelous job of maintaining a constant tug on them and dragging them out of your ears. With buds as light as these will be, simply wouldn't work out.

But I have no doubt there will be dozens of 3rd party accessories made just for this purpose.
    homiebrucemc
  • Reply 35 of 113

Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it! :)
    It's right, but with one mistake: it needs a loop add-on for around the ear guarantee.
    No mistake. There will be accessories for those who want that.
    nolamacguyhomiedoozydozenmattinoz
  • Reply 36 of 113
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Nort said:
    I would pay an extra $40 if I could get these in Jet Black to match my new iPhone.
    Me too.  Jet Black FTW.
    netmagedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 113
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it!
    thats not a mistake, it's a choice. these aren't active wear...theyre perfect for casual use cases. there are other designs available under Beats, with loops.

it really is hard to believe you ever worked for them with your attitude toward right & wrong decisions and pretty constant armchair designing. 
    edited September 2016 roundaboutnowdoozydozen
  • Reply 38 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cnocbui said:
    In three years time, the battery life will be down to 2.5 hrs.  At 4 years you throw  $160 in the bin because you will not be able to replace the batteries.
    That's what I did with Bluetooth headset before...Jabbra time!
  • Reply 39 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sockrolid said:
    Nort said:
    I would pay an extra $40 if I could get these in Jet Black to match my new iPhone.
    Me too.  Jet Black FTW.
    Did Apple ever include a Black headset in their devices?
  • Reply 40 of 113
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Would love an in ear version too. That EarPod design just does not like my ears at all. Constantly falls out. But, this is extremely impressive and I can't wait to see how they work. Great price too, I was expecting way more than that.
    Agree.  In-ear with some kind of foam or silicone ear tips would be ideal.
    Still, I'd get the one-size AirPods just to get rid of any and all earpiece wires.
    I even hate that wire between the Jaybird earpieces.