$369 Apple Watch Series 2 with GPS is swim-proof with 2x brighter display, white ceramic case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Great, great update IMO.  Love the gps and the improved water resistance.  Seriously tempted to upgrade my series 1 SS.  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 45
    So essentially Apple raised the price of the watch.

As a customer who owns an Apple Watch, it (V1 even updated) is not worth the money. $199 would be about right.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    $199 would make it to easy of a decision to buy the Series 1.
    Now its a hard decision and many will buy the Series 2 if they have the $$
    Tim Cook's Apple is all about hard choices. Nothing is easy anymore. And the executive team hopes the hard choice you make is the more expensive choice.
    uh duh, why wouldn't they? capitalism. of course they hope you spend more, but it's not like they're holding a gun to your head. 
    I thought Apple was all about simplicity and superior UX? I don't see that as much these days, at least not with their product lineups. They doubled the storage but no mention of iCloud. With more storage to fill up it means bigger iCloud backups.  Of course I'm sure you'd just say use iTunes then. But how is that simpler and a better UX?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Watch was a grand slam. Definitely buying one.

GPS makes it a must buy for parents wanting to give a watch to their child and know where they are and if anything deviates from their location they can track them down. You call it big brother, I'll call that use smart parenting.

Law Enforcement will appreciate it when tracking children for Amber alerts and more.
    edited September 2016 kevin keedoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Some of the Android Wear watches have always on and get the same if not better battery life. They use an ambient mode which just sips battery. I was OK without the always on in the Apple Watch but the display did not always go on with a wrist turn, forcing you to actually raise your arm. Not good when I just need a quick time glance in a meeting and such.
    They're not the same displays and they're 2 times bigger find a better argument.
    kevin keedoozydozennolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 45
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    That high gloss black will look great in a protective case.
    Why bother putting it in a protective case?  My first gen has no scratches or dings and the second gen is waterproof.

Duh... you meant iPhone.  Same comment almost applies though.  I can see going without a case on iPhone 7.
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 45
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Serenity Caldwell who writes for iMore says watchOS 3 on 38mm is dicey. Add GPS and it worries me that battery life might take a hit. Jeff Williams never mentioned battery life.
    Suunto Spartan for me it will be. 
  • Reply 28 of 45
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Watch was a grand slam. Definitely buying one.

GPS makes it a must buy for parents wanting to give a watch to their child and know where they are and if anything deviates from their location they can track them down. You call it big brother, I'll call that use smart parenting.

Law Enforcement will appreciate it when tracking children for Amber alerts and more.
    The child would still need to be carrying a phone with them  in order for parents to track.   So how does GPS in the watch actually help anything with regard to tracking? 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    It's gorgeous but still geared primarily for fitness freaks. Frankly, I have no use case compelling enough to buy one... yet.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

sog35 said:
    No always on display and gold models are gone. Pricing starts at $369. No pricing for ceramic model. 1st gen with new processor starting at $269.

no mention of battery life so my guess is it's the same as gen 1.
    Those gold AppleWatch will be collectors items.

Always on is stupid. Sure way to kill  your battery

Serenity Caldwell who writes for iMore says watchOS 3 on 38mm is dicey. Add GPS and it worries me that battery life might take a hit. Jeff Williams never mentioned battery life.
     No one believes you're 'worried'.

ai46nolamacguypscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

sog35 said:
    No always on display and gold models are gone. Pricing starts at $369. No pricing for ceramic model. 1st gen with new processor starting at $269.

no mention of battery life so my guess is it's the same as gen 1.
    Those gold AppleWatch will be collectors items.

Always on is stupid. Sure way to kill  your battery

Always on is beyond stupid. 
    ai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 45
    sandor said:
    evilution said:
    When he said a new material, I expected titanium, liquid metal or carbon fiber, I would never have guessed ceramic. Interesting choice.
    makes sense.

one of the most abused parts of (high-end) cars, the disc brakes, have been ceramic composites for a long time now. very durable, very resilient, very light.

Ceramic brakes are used because of their ability to withstand higher temperatures than metals, and carbon discs are even better. Not a great option for an iPhone that needs to be handled a lot since cermic is very brittle. But then again they did use glass for a generation so it could be an option I guess. While it would be almost entirely scratch resistant, you would most certainly need a case for it to avoid shattering it from any kind of drop. It's also
    not really all that light. 

Since the watch is always attached to your wrist  there really isn't a high probability of dropping it, so I think that's why they can get away with using it for this application. 
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jfc1138 said:
    sog35 said:
    evilution said:
    When he said a new material, I expected titanium, liquid metal or carbon fiber, I would never have guessed ceramic. Interesting choice.
    I'm predicting the next iPhone will be ceramic
    Is ceramic radio transparent? Then there'd be no antenna lines. 
    Ceramics can transmit radio waves. Ceramics are typically brittle, though. Building an iPhone shell from ceramic that isn't fragile would be a neat trick.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Astronomy <> astrology.... :-)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 35 of 45
    sog35 said:
    That high gloss black will look great in a protective case.
    Why? I've owned the 5s and 6 for the last 3 years and never used a case.

Are you suggesting that a significant (if not majority) portion of iPhone users don't use a case?
    Are you suggesting that everyone does use a case?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Now only a $30 price difference between the 38mm and the 42mm.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Battery life?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    love all the new products but I need some clarification...I'm going to buy the new watch.
    1) If I go on a run and leave my phone at home, do I still get notifications?
    2) With built in GPS is the internet being used, and if so will it be LTE charged to my carrier plan?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sog35 said:
    evilution said:
    I'm predicting the next iPhone will be ceramic
    It would be much more dense and heavy compared to the milled aluminum. I doubt that will happen. With a watch, you want it to have a little heft.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    $199 would make it to easy of a decision to buy the Series 1.
    Now its a hard decision and many will buy the Series 2 if they have the $$
    Tim Cook's Apple is all about hard choices. Nothing is easy anymore. And the executive team hopes the hard choice you make is the more expensive choice.
    uh duh, why wouldn't they? capitalism. of course they hope you spend more, but it's not like they're holding a gun to your head. 
    I thought Apple was all about simplicity and superior UX? I don't see that as much these days, at least not with their product lineups. They doubled the storage but no mention of iCloud. With more storage to fill up it means bigger iCloud backups.  Of course I'm sure you'd just say use iTunes then. But how is that simpler and a better UX?
    wait -- are you honestly suggesting Apple can't be focused on simplicity AND hope that customers spend more? what on earth are you talking about? how does hoping you chose to spend more make them no longer about simplicity and superior UX? oh yeah, it doesn't. 
    edited September 2016