Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black fin

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple is up to something with that Jet Black color.
    Ninja are people too.
    watto_cobracalipscooter63
  • Reply 62 of 128
    fallenjt said:
    Apple's iPhone page mentions small micro abrasions with use for the jet black iPhone. If only someone could come up with a clear silicone case that didn't yellow over time. Would be perfect for this device.
    Buy multiple cases...$2 a piece, you can afford many of them.
    I don't want a cheap hard plastic case. The clear silicon cases yellow over time. Hence my comment.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    eckbrat said:
    Well, I guess I'm a troll then, because I'm aware that a lot of this has all been done better by other companies. I consider myself simply awake and aware of other products out there, but if that is what makes one a troll, then so be it. You can drop a Sony Xperia in the water, and it will be protected up to a meter (and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack). Xperia also had a 20.7mp camera, and that was back in 2014! What Apple is doing is not revolutionary, so please stop acting like it is. While everyone was eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6, other companies were doing laps around this crap, and Apple fanboys and fangirls missed it.

I can't wait for the iPhone 7 to die while I'm trying to listen to music, and then I won't be able to listen anymore, because the same jack being used for my ear buds is needed to charge the phone. THAT people, is how Apple is going to get you to spend more money. Sure, they will give you that adapter, but they know your battery is going to die, and you're going to want to charge your phone and still use the ear buds... thus making you buy the overpriced wireless ones. Honestly, if it weren't for the integration, and the fact that I can easily track my family, I would go back to something else, because Apple just seems money hungry, and people insist on blindly buying into their bullcrap. 
    Sent from your Samsung. Not sure how you expected to ever listened to a dead iphone before though. 
    edited September 2016 netmagetmaywatto_cobracalipscooter63
  • Reply 64 of 128
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Lightning headphones with adapter included in box.

So Apple is giving you a pair of Lightning headphones AND an adaptor.

Where's all the trolls claiming Apple only did this so they could sell millions of adaptors at $30+ each?

Presumably they're expecting to sell billions of them at $9 each.

Actually, since the adapter presumably has to include the DAC and Lightning controller chip, $9 seems ridiculously cheap. Almost as if they're willing to take a loss on them to keep people  happy.

• Reply 65 of 128

Market seemed to like the event:

AAPL after 2 down days:

Overall Market:
  • Reply 66 of 128
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Is charging your phone while listening to music really that big of a deal? Am I the only one who doesn't do this? It seems to have become this deal breaker of an issue all of a sudden. Just use a Lightning Dock, has a 3.5mm built right in. Or if 50 bucks is way out of your price range, then wait for a passthrough cable. Or stick with a 6s. I don't know, maybe I just don't get this huge obsession with needing to listen to music while charging your phone.
    Same old same old. Theres always some trade off. 
  • Reply 67 of 128
    eckbrat said:
    Well, I guess I'm a troll then, because I'm aware that a lot of this has all been done better by other companies. I consider myself simply awake and aware of other products out there, but if that is what makes one a troll, then so be it. You can drop a Sony Xperia in the water, and it will be protected up to a meter (and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack). Xperia also had a 20.7mp camera, and that was back in 2014! What Apple is doing is not revolutionary, so please stop acting like it is. While everyone was eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6, other companies were doing laps around this crap, and Apple fanboys and fangirls missed it.

I can't wait for the iPhone 7 to die while I'm trying to listen to music, and then I won't be able to listen anymore, because the same jack being used for my ear buds is needed to charge the phone. THAT people, is how Apple is going to get you to spend more money. Sure, they will give you that adapter, but they know your battery is going to die, and you're going to want to charge your phone and still use the ear buds... thus making you buy the overpriced wireless ones. Honestly, if it weren't for the integration, and the fact that I can easily track my family, I would go back to something else, because Apple just seems money hungry, and people insist on blindly buying into their bullcrap. 
    Some fanboys missed those victory laps by other companies for a good reason
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/10/sony-changes-stance-on-waterproof-phones-do-not-use-underwater/
    netmagekevin keenolamacguytmaywatto_cobracalipscooter63
  • Reply 68 of 128
    sog35 said:
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

So you thought going from the iPhone4 to the iPhone4s was a big enough jump with just adding Siri?
    So you thought going from the iPhone4s to the 5 with just a bigger screen was a big enough jump?
    So you though going from the 5 to the 5s was a big enough jump with just a fingerprint scan?
    or the 6 to the 6s with 3D touch?

Bull.

Chill out sog35. You’re missing my point. I’m like most of contract customers on a 2yr cycle. Went from 1 to 4 to 5 to 6. All fresh looks. The “s” cycle was always “under the hood” inprovement. 
    cali
  • Reply 69 of 128
    I see people are already predicting scratch gate with the jet black phone and calling it bad design. People complain every year about no black phone, look down on plastic as inferior but then complain when their black aluminum phone gets scratches. I'm sure if Apple could figure out a way to have a completely scuff free black anodized aluminum they would be selling it today.
    cali
  • Reply 70 of 128
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wonder which version of black will hold up better over time, resisting scratches, etc. I've always used a case with my iPhones, but if I upgrade from a 6+ to a 7 or 7+, I'd be tempted to not use a case this time.
  • Reply 71 of 128
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    sog35 said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but damn, these new iPhones look great!

I'm loving both of the new black colors!

And all of the new features and improvements? Awesome!

I'm serious, anybody who is disappointed in the new iPhone 7 is a complete fucking idiot or a useless troll.

Apple hit it out of the ballpark with the new iPhones!

I don't even care that they removed the headphone jack, since they even provide an adapter with the phone. I was one of the people who was skeptical about removing the headphone jack, but I listened to the arguments made on stage, and I suppose that it does make sense, since space is obviously at a premium, and you can't be hanging on to old tech forever.

agree. The iPhone7 is amazing.

Only idiot trolls or people shorting the stock would say other wise.

The only thing the iPhone 7 is missing is useless gimmicks and bloated crap that no one uses.

This is by FAR the best iPhone ever made. I'm getting 100% tempted on picking up a 32 GB Jet Black 7+.............DAMN.
    You mean the only thing the new iPhone is missing is the exploding randomly feature?

Joking aside, I think I am going for the 128 vantablack version.
    watto_cobracalipscooter63
  • Reply 72 of 128
    It is easy to have a scuff free black phone - they could ask SureFire if they can't figure it out. Hard anodized black may be harder to color match but with their one piece chassis it should work fine. They should have been doing it since the 5. 
  • Reply 73 of 128
    sog35 said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but damn, these new iPhones look great!

I'm loving both of the new black colors!

And all of the new features and improvements? Awesome!

I'm serious, anybody who is disappointed in the new iPhone 7 is a complete fucking idiot or a useless troll.

Apple hit it out of the ballpark with the new iPhones!

I don't even care that they removed the headphone jack, since they even provide an adapter with the phone. I was one of the people who was skeptical about removing the headphone jack, but I listened to the arguments made on stage, and I suppose that it does make sense, since space is obviously at a premium, and you can't be hanging on to old tech forever.

The only thing the iPhone 7 is missing is useless gimmicks and bloated crap that no one uses.

This is by FAR the best iPhone ever made. I'm getting 100% tempted on picking up a 32 GB Jet Black 7+.............DAMN.
    Don’t care about headphone jack - been using blutooth for a long time
    Don’t care about new colors - been using Apple leather case
    Don’t care about waterproof - might be useful to some, doen’t matter to me. I use waterproof puoch when necessary

Brighter screen - ok, there’s one I like
    Faster processor - my iPhone6 runs just fine with most apps I use - until all apps are optimized to take advantage of the new speed

Same design for 2 more years (until my 2yr cycle ends) - not excited to upgrade at all

iPhone 7 is the best iPhone ever, as it should be - it’s the latest iPhone! DUH
  • Reply 74 of 128
    sog35 said:
    I see people are already predicting scratch gate with the jet black phone and calling it bad design. People complain every year about no black phone, look down on plastic as inferior but then complain when their black aluminum phone gets scratches. I'm sure if Apple could figure out a way to have a completely scuff free black anodized aluminum they would be selling it today.
    anyone who owns a black car knows that scratches are impossible to avoid. Just part of the deal.
    Perfect click bait for tech sites though. What did people expect? I remember the black HTC One M7 and it got dings and scratches just like the black iPhone 5. If I wear a pair of suede boots out in the snow and they get soiled from the salt and sand is that poor design and the fault of the shoe maker? I'm sorry but people can't go on about looks and then scream bad design when the look they want has a tradeoff. I'm sure if Apple could make a glossy black phone that doesn't show any scratches they would do so.
    cali
  • Reply 75 of 128
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    2oh1 said:
    I wonder which version of black will hold up better over time, resisting scratches, etc. I've always used a case with my iPhones, but if I upgrade from a 6+ to a 7 or 7+, I'd be tempted to not use a case this time.
    I think that the glossy jet black will show scratches more easily than the matte black.

Apple even has a disclaimer about the jet black on their site. 

the high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 76 of 128
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    LIGHTNING TO 3.5mm ADAPTER IS $9.00!!

$9.00 !!!!!

This has to be some kind of new record for Apple!
    watto_cobraloquitur
  • Reply 77 of 128
    The AT&T/T-Mobile models, A1778 & A1784, do not have CDMA. While the CDMA models, A1660 & A1661, have all the same specs plus CDMA. So much for switching. Why can't there just be one.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 78 of 128
    sog35 said:
    r1sko said:
    sog35 said:
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

So you thought going from the iPhone4 to the iPhone4s was a big enough jump with just adding Siri?
    So you thought going from the iPhone4s to the 5 with just a bigger screen was a big enough jump?
    So you though going from the 5 to the 5s was a big enough jump with just a fingerprint scan?
    or the 6 to the 6s with 3D touch?

Bull.

Chill out sog35. You’re missing my point. I’m like most of contract customers on a 2yr cycle. Went from 1 to 4 to 5 to 6. All fresh looks. The “s” cycle was always “under the hood” inprovement. 
    Well next time be more clear.  Your post sounded like you got a new phone every year.

So tell me what was the HUGE difference between the 4 and the 5? Did that slightly bigger screen really make all the difference in the world for you?

And tell me EXACTLY what feature would have made you buy the 7?  Were you hoping for some dumb gimmick like a edge screen like those horrible Samsung phones or a smaller top/bottom bezel with putting the home button on the back of the phone?  Explain to me exactly what feature would have made the phone so awesome.

It seems to me all you care about is you want a phone that has a different shell than your current phone. If so, then yes the 7 isn't for you. But that's a pretty shallow and superficial way of picking phones.
    Are you implying the “shell” is irrelevant part of every Apple product? Let’s discuss this with Jony Ive over a few beers.....
    cali
  • Reply 79 of 128
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    r1sko said:
    sog35 said:

Don’t care about headphone jack - been using blutooth for a long time
    Don’t care about new colors - been using Apple leather case
    Don’t care about waterproof - might be useful to some, doen’t matter to me. I use waterproof puoch when necessary

Brighter screen - ok, there’s one I like
    Faster processor - my iPhone6 runs just fine with most apps I use - until all apps are optimized to take advantage of the new speed

Same design for 2 more years (until my 2yr cycle ends) - not excited to upgrade at all

iPhone 7 is the best iPhone ever, as it should be - it’s the latest iPhone! DUH

I also liking the camera in plus model, which is what I am going to get. I am not professional but I do take a lot of photographs. I have DSLR but what I have most of the time in my pocket is my phone. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 80 of 128
    I was all excited to buy the Jet Black version, but why is Apple forcing you to upgrade to 128GB for that one?  Is it me, or is that just a bit sleazy?  They figure it will be a hot color (something they realized after discontinuing it, I guess?) so now they are essentially charging more for it?