Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113

zmas said:
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    No never did that
    williamlondonjbdragon
  • Reply 62 of 113
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I listen and charge at my desk all the time. Now I'm saved a little bit that I have the  charging case so I end up charging that separately and then using that to charge my phone but the functionality necessary is still the same.

I liken this to the new Macbook with the single USB-C port (which coincidentally has an audio port ). I had an instance where I needed to restore my iPhone so I plugged it in to my Mac (with a USB to USB-C adapter of course). However, my Mac needed to be either plugged in and charging or at a certain battery level before the restore would start. As you could guess I couldn't do both at the same time. Since I didn't have a *separate* adapter (with USB-C and USB to USB-C, this one) I had to wait to charge my Mac before I could restore my iPhone. Not the end of the world but still a hassle.

That's what many people are going to face here. Deal with the hassle or by some adapter to give you all the functionality back. The reason this doesn't bother Apple is that they have a good idea of the number of people this will affect and that number is not big enough to warrant sticking to the status quo. This is not new from Apple.
    Well one thing's for sure ... the way Phil emphasized the headphone jack as a single function port suggests we'll see Lightning added to the MacBook possibly next month. That will make a huge difference on the rMB for some. Something else that signals Lightning ports in the Macs is the fact there was no mention of an adapter to plug the Lightning headphones into a 3.5mm jack source -- like the Mac. I'm very curious to see how Apple updates the MFi specs and what kinds of adapters start showing up in the Apple Store.

I'm really hoping that Apple has updated the Lightning charging cable in the box with a passthrough port. They're essentially already doing it on the external battery case, they just need to reduce that down to the end of a cable, and that would go a long way toward satisfying a lot of people. I really hope Apple manages to limit the adapters to a minimum. And I hope they stop including it for free in the 7s just as they stopped including the dock with the original iPhone. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Well, there's ups and downs here. Most who care about this are probably pro users. Users who have invested $500+ in a set of custom IEMS with a 35mm jack (though if you did this you probably noticed crosstalk when plugged into power), users who perform on iOS software instruments during hours long performances, or users who have hacked the 35mm jack to allow a direct audio input while going live on Facebook or other live broadcast services. All of these things require simultaneous power and audio connections. Taken at face value, the removal of the audio jack is a huge blow to the workflow of most pro audio users. The upside though, is bright. Third party stereo transmitters that allow you to broadcast your direct audio wirelessly while keeping the camera docked to power. Would you like that with a Neve or Focusrite Pre while you're at it? Third party receivers that allow you to declutter your cabling on stage. There will be a lot of new devices required, but fewer cables, and more mobility. When iPads began creeping into the live sound world as mobile mixing desks folks were skeptical, now it's essential. No big FOH in the middle of a rainy field, just one guy and an umbrella. There's no sense dwelling on the negatives. No one likes when their gear becomes antiquated, but if the wireless protocol is reliable in a sea of densely packed iOS users, high bit rate, etc. this opens up a ton of possibilities.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 64 of 113
    Some of you guys are probably still using 3.5" floppies...
    williamlondonjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 113
    For those of you who say 'nobody ever listens to music and charges their phone at the same time'....
    Don't be so narrow minded! 
    There are those of us who do a lot of driving, and some of us who even drive for a living. I do both and the music that I drive to is streamed. Believe it or not, that runs down the battery (hard to imagine, isn't it?).
    So, tell me. How am I supposed to do all my driving, stream music and recharge the phone when it's about to go dead?
    Anybody got any ideas? Because, until that problem is solved, I can't get a new iPhone (and I'll bet there are lots of others in the same boat). I guess no one at Apple thought of this problem.......!!!
    lorin schultzewtheckman
  • Reply 66 of 113
    LIGHTNING TO 3.5mm ADAPTER IS $9.00!!

$9.00 !!!!!

This has to be some kind of new record for Apple!
    ronn
  • Reply 67 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    they're smarter and more successful than you. I want the new tech. you can keep your old tech with old products. 
    He won't ever get it , still immature  , still likes to Jack off! lol

Humans basically divide  into two camps those who embrace the future and "traditionalists  who don't. The latter die out and that is how we evolve
    To quote Lewis Black, "The fact that we grow old and die is not a bug, it’s a feature. It’s the only way we can get rid of old assholes.” 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 68 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

mac_128 said:

$9.00 !!!!!

And since I and millions of others will be using either the supplied Lightening earbuds or Bluetooth wireless headphones that means we can our Lightening->3.5mm adapters on Ebay for a few bucks too. So those who have multiple pairs of 3.5mm oh so precious headphones will have no problems obtaining the adapters. Problem solved.  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 113
    jkichline said:
    Hey, for all you whiners whining about not being able to charge your iPhone and play music at the same, get one of these and STFU
    I have a couple problems with the dock. First, fifty fucking dollars? Second, that does NOT look secure at all. Why couldn’t it have been a 1st gen iPhone-style dock where it’s recessed and actually looks like it won’t snap off at any second?

I still haven’t gotten to an Apple Store in the last year, so maybe they have them on display, but I’m not buying one unless I see how securely it sits.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    lkrupp said:

mac_128 said:

$9.00 !!!!!

And since I and millions of others will be using either the supplied Lightening earbuds or Bluetooth wireless headphones that means we can our Lightening->3.5mm adapters on Ebay for a few bucks too. So those who have multiple pairs of 3.5mm oh so precious headphones will have no problems obtaining the adapters. Problem solved.  B)
    Oh I agree. There is a question of the quality though. We'll have to wait and see if they are as good as what's currently inside the iPhone. I hope Apple has gone out of their way to make them better! Guess we'll know in a couple of weeks. 3rd party adapters will eventually be even less.

Still can't say I'm crazy about the design. It could have been a lot slimmer, and less conspicuous. But hey, it's not meant as a permanent solution, it's meant as a transition.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    TurboPGT said:
    mac_128 said:
     No mention how these can be used for charging and listening
    Because no one cares.
    Why do people keep assuming if they don't care about something no one else does. I can damn well guarantee you I'm not the only one that listens to music while charging my phone when I'm at home. Bottom line is it was an option/feature that's now been taken away and I don't think Apple did a good enough job explaining the benefits to consumers. Maybe instead of Instagram and game demos they could have spent more time on new home button and Taptic Engine features. Again I don't think they made the case to the the average non-techie consumer why removing the headphone jack is a benefit to them.
    Yes you are right, i too listen to music while charging, but i've using wireless headphones for the past 2 years and don't plan to come back to wired ones. An as far a s benefits for consumers i can tell you this, wireless is way more comfortable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 72 of 113
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever, you fucking shill.
    Expect for those of us that it all the time fucking troll.
    I'm sure that there will be a cable for that, seems pretty easy to have a cable with lightning on one end and both headphone jack and a lightning female port on the other end.  For every person who charges while using the headphones, there is another person (like me for example) that never uses headphones at all.
  • Reply 73 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever.
    Expect for those of us that it all the time.
    Not trying to troll here but I'd really like to know how many people do this? In what scenario? I can't think of any time that I've had my phone charging and wanted to be attached to it listening to music. When I'm at home, if I want to listen to music, I turn on my stereo or play music through my Mac. There is also my iPad. I already have a pair of BT headphones, so I guess if there was something on my phone that I needed to listen to, I can do it wirelessly. If I'm on the road and charging from a battery pack, I guess that would be a situation where maybe, I'd like to listen to music while charging. But then again, I also carry my BT buds with me in my backpack cause they are what I use most of the time and when I'm at the gym.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    sflocal said:
    zmas said:

No, because I never listen to it while it's charging.  It usually means it's plugged in somewhere in my house or office, which also means I'm near my computer (as most would be) so it's irrelevant.

Oh... you're a special person where you plug your phone in and have zero options to be near your computer, or just cannot fathom to be disconnected from your phone for even an hour to get a decent charge that you have a hissy-fit and tech-withdrawals?  So sad to be you.
    I don't understand what being near a computer has to do with anything? You do realize that there are other things beside music that make sounds you'd want to be able to hear, including high-battery-draining activities like watching movies or playing games. Sure, if you have a fully changed iPhone or iPad (I assume the headphone jack will be removed from the next iPad updates as well) it probably won't be an issue. But then you need to be constantly topping off your iDevice battery just in case. Just look at the scramble for power outlets at airports to see how hard it is already to keep devices charged up.

Most of the time, sure, no problem. I can get through the day and never have to charge up my iPhone or iPad so using Lightning EarPods wouldn't be an issue. But there are many instances (flying, kids watching videos in the backseat for the long drive to grandma's) where being able to charge and listen at the same time would be very beneficial. 
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 75 of 113
    packfan73 said:
    sflocal said:
    zmas said:

No, because I never listen to it while it's charging.  It usually means it's plugged in somewhere in my house or office, which also means I'm near my computer (as most would be) so it's irrelevant.

Oh... you're a special person where you plug your phone in and have zero options to be near your computer, or just cannot fathom to be disconnected from your phone for even an hour to get a decent charge that you have a hissy-fit and tech-withdrawals?  So sad to be you.
    Yes, because corporate IT departments allow you to install iTunes...not so much. I have no interest in using my work computer for any software like iTunes etc. I charge my phone while at my desk and listen to music ALL day while also charging it. Just because you can't fathom this particular workflow doesn't mean that a large group doesn't do exactly that.
    so why specifically wont a new adapter or dock work for your use case? oh look, heres one that you could buy for the last year that will even work with legacy headphones:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNN62/iphone-lightning-dock-black?fnode=42
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 76 of 113
    atlapple said:

twidan911 said:
    What a fool. How do u charge it while listening now?!?!? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Bring back the jack!!!!
    they're smarter and more successful than you. I want the new tech. you can keep your old tech with old products. 
    Speak for yourself, they're smarter than you, doesn't mean their smarter than many of us. 
    no, theyre definitely smarter than you. i guarantee it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when no one did that, ever.
    Expect for those of us that it all the time.
    Not trying to troll here but I'd really like to know how many people do this? In what scenario? I can't think of any time that I've had my phone charging and wanted to be attached to it listening to music. When I'm at home, if I want to listen to music, I turn on my stereo or play music through my Mac. There is also my iPad. I already have a pair of BT headphones, so I guess if there was something on my phone that I needed to listen to, I can do it wirelessly. If I'm on the road and charging from a battery pack, I guess that would be a situation where maybe, I'd like to listen to music while charging. But then again, I also carry my BT buds with me in my backpack cause they are what I use most of the time and when I'm at the gym.
    I'll give you an example. At home in my family room I have an extension cord that plugs in to the outlet behind my couch. Whenever I need to charge my iPhone or iPad I just plug it into the extension cord. And yeah sometimes if I'm sitting on my couch listening to music I'll have my phone plugged into the charger. Not all the time but some times. Point is this is something we used to be able to do but can't anymore. And I'm not convinced Apple gave a compelling reason for why removing that feature is a net positive for everyone. 
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 78 of 113

zmas said:
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    The BT Buds don't last very long between charges. That's reserved for the Beats ones at $159 (or more).
    I put my phone in my car and charge it from a 12v adapter. The Car really does not handle any phone apart from Windows ones very well w,r,t, accepting calls and using the hands free. So I use a headphone with mic and stop to take calls. The phone is still being charged.

So now it is one thing or the other. In my eyes, this is a huge loss of functionality and ease of use.
    Until a dual TB adapter comes out there is no way that I will upgrade my phone.
    Sorry Apple you screwed up, big time.

hah, another armchair exec telling the pros how they screwed up. thats rich.

the AirPods get 5 hours, then need 15 minutes to get another 3, which you can do 7 more times before charging the case. thats more than enough for many use cases....if yours are more specific then thankfully you can consider alternative products from apple and others. nobody's forcing a gun to your head to get this one pair.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    fallenjt said:

zmas said:
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    The BT Buds don't last very long between charges. That's reserved for the Beats ones at $159 (or more).
    I put my phone in my car and charge it from a 12v adapter. The Car really does not handle any phone apart from Windows ones very well w,r,t, accepting calls and using the hands free. So I use a headphone with mic and stop to take calls. The phone is still being charged.

So now it is one thing or the other. In my eyes, this is a huge loss of functionality and ease of use.
    Until a dual TB adapter comes out there is no way that I will upgrade my phone.
    Sorry Apple you screwed up, big time.

This is a dumbest reason for justifying the use of iPhone: analog headphone port! And Apple don't screw up...maybe only for few of you, not the rest of the world. Remember floppy disk, optical drives in Mac and 30-pin connector in idevices? Whinyass people complained no matter what and Apple still sold millions of them more...
    Re: floppy disks and 30-pin connectors...not really that relevant to the concern about the loss of the headphone jack because those things were Apple-specific and the floppies and dock accessories only worked with Apple devices anyway (for the most part). The head phone jack is universal. So now if I own any non-Apple devices (gasp!) I'll need to have two different headphones or headphones and an adapter. Just one example...a lot of cardio equipment in gyms these days have the ability to play TV on built-in screens. The only way to listen to the audio is with a standard audio jack connection.

Yes, I realize that this would not apply to everyone, or even a large minority of folks. But it is a concern. It adds another row of bricks to the wall (of Apple's walled garden). Regardless, this probably won't be an issue for most folks. They will just use whatever comes in the box with their phone, and they wouldn't ever buy anything different anyway. But I think it is going to alienate a good number of people as well which is why I feel it's for the best that Apple at least included the adapter in the box.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 80 of 113
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. Forget the adapter, how do you charge your phone while listening with the Lightning Ear Buds? How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    Remember times when we had physical buttons 0-9 on a phone. Steve Job fukking killed it!
    nolamacguywatto_cobra