Apple Watch Series 2 abandons gold Edition models in favor of ceramic

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In announcing the Apple Watch Series 2 on Wednesday, Apple also silently did away with its real-gold Edition line, replacing the material with tougher ceramic.

A single ceramic model -- in white, with a matching sport band -- is listed on Apple's website for $1,249 at 38 millimeters, or $1,299 at 42 millimeters. Gold units of the first-generation Watch started at $10,000 and could go as high as $17,000, despite not being functionally different from cheaper hardware.

When it first launched the Watch in 2015 Apple treated the gold Edition line with fanfare, highlighting it at press events and ensuring celebrities like Beyonce and Karl Lagerfeld were seen wearing it. Buyers were given special treatment, including different delivery options, a custom case doubling as a charging dock, and personalized try-on/shopping experiences at retail stores.

Gold models appear to have had limited popularity even among the rich though, as they were ultimately diminished on Apple's website, and the company talked about them less and less frequently. Celebrities like Stephen Colbert gravitated towards mid-tier stainless steel models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as an eventual collectors piece.
    nealc5nolamacguywilliamlondonlevischlacklolliverjbdragonmattinozSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 2 of 50
    I agree with georgecreedle that the gold models served their purpose to create buzz about the product.  They are now rare collectors items that will only increase in value.  I suspect this was Apple's plan all along.
    edited September 2016 lolliverjbdragonstevehSpamSandwichrezwitspatchythepiratestanhope
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Looks like it comes with the Dock Charger too.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    like Cook said at launch two years ago, Edition was a limited edition. nothing real controversial about that, tho im sure there will be those will try to spin it as further proof of doom or something.
    williamlondonlolliverjbdragonrezwits
  • Reply 5 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This is definitely much more Apple-like than the previous Edition.
    netmage
  • Reply 6 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    like Cook said at launch two years ago, Edition was a limited edition. nothing real controversial about that, tho im sure there will be those will try to spin it as further proof of doom or something.
    Everything's a limited edition. Not making it this time around means it didn't sell enough. The whole AW as jewelry experiment didn't pan out exactly as they had hoped. 
    singularity
  • Reply 7 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as an eventual collectors piece.
    Nothing powered by a short-lifespan Li-ion battery is anything I would regard as a collectors piece.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Gold version did a good job of establishing a Halo price, so suddenly, spending $600 on a stainless steel version seems like good value. Ceramic version will do the same, but also be bought in numbers, I suspect.
    lolliverstanhope
  • Reply 9 of 50
    I gotta admit, I really like the look of the ceramic model.  Always thought the gold ones were gaudy.  I've always wanted a ceramic watch; looks like I'll be getting one.
    jbdragonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Everything's a limited edition. Not making it this time around means it didn't sell enough. The whole AW as jewelry experiment didn't pan out exactly as they had hoped. 
    I doubt anyone is looking at the first gen aluminum Watch and thinking of it as a "limited edition". Normally that phrase is used for something special that's only available for a limited period of time.

Apple is keeping the Edition branding and the partnership with Hermés. Also the sales comparisons they did in the keynote today were to watches in general not smart watches. 
    edited September 2016 jbdragonnetmage
  • Reply 11 of 50
    This one I will criticize. You have to be a moron to pay for Ceramic at this price bump.
    bdkennedy1002cnocbuistanhope
  • Reply 12 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Ceramics in a watch case a harbinger of a ceramic iPhone case?

Ceramic radio wave transparent do it wouldn't have antenna seams?
    edited September 2016 netmage
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Aluminum gold is still available and with the right third party band looks quite nice.
    stanhope
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Several gold editions listed on eBay for around $1200.
    welshdogcnocbui
  • Reply 15 of 50

Happen to have any numbers to back up that statement?
    nolamacguystanhopenetmage
  • Reply 16 of 50
    everything's a "limited edition"? man it's really getting hard for you to come up w/ new material, isnt it?

as for sales -- prove it. oh wait you cant, because its just your hater opinion presented as fact.... in real life apple's now the #2 watchmaker in the world. oops.
    edited September 2016 jbdragonration alpatchythepiratestanhopenetmage
  • Reply 17 of 50
    cnocbui said:
    Nothing powered by a short-lifespan Li-ion battery is anything I would regard as a collectors piece.
    the nealry-million dollar price of the Apple I disagrees with you.
    jbdragonstevehwatto_cobrajasenj1patchythepiratepscooter63stanhopenetmage
  • Reply 18 of 50
    macxpress said:

Happen to have any numbers to back up that statement?
    Who needs numbers when there's cause and effect? We don't know Apple's internal numbers, but we know their reaction to those numbers. 
    singularity
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Hum. Edition. I sure didn't pick up on that until now, but you're right. 
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Having a gold watch is meaningful only if you can still use it 10, 20, 50 years from now. In 5 years the Gold Apple Watch would be worth nothing except for the gold.
    cnocbuisingularity