Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    jkichline said:
    Hey, for all you whiners whining about not being able to charge your iPhone and play music at the same, get one of these and STFU
    I have a couple problems with the dock. First, fifty fucking dollars? Second, that does NOT look secure at all. Why couldn’t it have been a 1st gen iPhone-style dock where it’s recessed and actually looks like it won’t snap off at any second?

I still haven’t gotten to an Apple Store in the last year, so maybe they have them on display, but I’m not buying one unless I see how securely it sits.
    because cases.

these things have been for sale for over a year, so im sure if there were "snapgate" problems we'd have heard about it by now. havent. so there we go.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 113
    Ok, I STREAM Pandora through the speakers of the vehicles I drive, while CHARGING at the same time  (when the battery gets low).
    Now what?
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 83 of 113
    mac_128 said:
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    I wonder what the reason is for the stem? I guess they couldn't fit everything inside without it. Is there a mic down there?
    yes. did you watch the video? sensors at the end.

happily there are other models to choose from. should put an end to the constant complaining, right? naaaah

Did you watch the video?  It's for the battery, primarily.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    zmas said:
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    Remember when no one did that, ever.
    Expect for those of us that it all the time.
    Not trying to troll here but I'd really like to know how many people do this? In what scenario? I can't think of any time that I've had my phone charging and wanted to be attached to it listening to music. When I'm at home, if I want to listen to music, I turn on my stereo or play music through my Mac. There is also my iPad. I already have a pair of BT headphones, so I guess if there was something on my phone that I needed to listen to, I can do it wirelessly. If I'm on the road and charging from a battery pack, I guess that would be a situation where maybe, I'd like to listen to music while charging. But then again, I also carry my BT buds with me in my backpack cause they are what I use most of the time and when I'm at the gym.
    I'll give you an example. At home in my family room I have an extension cord that plugs in to the outlet behind my couch. Whenever I need to charge my iPhone or iPad I just plug it into the extension cord. And yeah sometimes if I'm sitting on my couch listening to music I'll have my phone plugged into the charger. Not all the time but some times. Point is this is something we used to be able to do but can't anymore. And I'm not convinced Apple gave a compelling reason for why removing that feature is a net positive for everyone. 
    your complaint boils down to "Sometimes some people can't do some things."

well, ya. thats real life -- compromises. Schiller did a great job explaining some of these tradeoffs, you just dont like it because you want all things for all people all the time. catering to all use cases aint how apple rolls, and that should be clear by now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I don’t know if someone has already mentioned this but corded Lightening headphones/earbuds will be powered devices. Think of all the innovative features/functions that will possible on a powered device, no batteries needed, powered by the Lightening port. Noise canceling, sound processing, adaptive frequency response. None of that is possible with the analog 3.5mm jack without on board batteries. So a set of high end headphones could do it all without the cost, weight, space requirements of having  batteries built in. Just checked Bode’s noise canceling headphones for example. Guess what’s included in the box? One AAA battery.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 113
    So now it's sad to be a person who listens to music while charging the phone? I used to do it constantly. Yesterday night, for example, before I went to sleep. What a sad world indeed.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 87 of 113
    wizard69 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
    he didn't seem uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    Had to do several public speaking engagements in college as part of a communications course. Absolutely the worst possible experience when it comes to college. These guys pull off these reveals like real pros if you ask me.
    Couldn't disagree more.

If you want to get good at public speaking, join the military where you get to do briefings day in and day out.

If you ask me, Steve Jobs was easily the best public speaker Apple has ever had.  I say that because he had a natural comfort in front of a crowd; he enjoyed telling everyone about a new product or technology, as if he was in a conversation with a single person. He didn't read slides too much but used them appropriately to remind him of what to say.  He recovered from mistakes, and he wasn't afraid to go down unplanned rabbit trails in the middle of a discussion when he deemed it appropriate.

Tim Cook is easily the worst speaker at Apple.  He's gotten better, but you can tell that addressing a crowd is NOT his comfort zone.  That's not a reflection of his job as CEO, just that he's the polar opposite of Jobs in this regard.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    I could open a museum with all the stupid adapters I've needed over the years using Apple products.
  • Reply 89 of 113
    toddzrx said:
    mac_128 said:
    Don't love the design of the EarPods. Would rather they not have the "stems". But pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the iFixit teardown. Phil basically said the same thing I have been saying from the beginning -- they need the space to expand. Making the iPhone thicker and larger is just not a realistic solution, especially when the headphone jack only does one thing. I hope the teardown backs us up.

That said, I'm curious to see how the stereo speakers are implemented.

Disappointed there's not some reason for the faux speaker grille, but maybe the teardown will show there's a reason for it to be there. 
    I wonder what the reason is for the stem? I guess they couldn't fit everything inside without it. Is there a mic down there?
    yes. did you watch the video? sensors at the end.

happily there are other models to choose from. should put an end to the constant complaining, right? naaaah

Did you watch the video?  It's for the battery, primarily.
    i did, and they had a shot that clearly showed detection from the end. watch it again.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 90 of 113
    toddzrx said:
    wizard69 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Definitely surprised these will be in the box. And they're not really as slim as I'd hoped. I expect third parties to really improve these. No mention how these can be used for charging and listening. Hope Apple adds a simple pass-through to the charging cable in the box. Wonder when that will be confirmed?

Boy Phil sure looked like he was uncomfortable making that announcement. Definitely took some balls to face the headphone jack removal head on as they did, rather than just focus on what they're adding and where they're going.
    he didn't seem uncomfortable to me. do you do much public speaking? I have and I still get the jitters. 
    Had to do several public speaking engagements in college as part of a communications course. Absolutely the worst possible experience when it comes to college. These guys pull off these reveals like real pros if you ask me.
    Couldn't disagree more.

If you want to get good at public speaking, join the military where you get to do briefings day in and day out.

If you ask me, Steve Jobs was easily the best public speaker Apple has ever had.  I say that because he had a natural comfort in front of a crowd; he enjoyed telling everyone about a new product or technology, as if he was in a conversation with a single person. He didn't read slides too much but used them appropriately to remind him of what to say.  He recovered from mistakes, and he wasn't afraid to go down unplanned rabbit trails in the middle of a discussion when he deemed it appropriate.

Tim Cook is easily the worst speaker at Apple.  He's gotten better, but you can tell that addressing a crowd is NOT his comfort zone.  That's not a reflection of his job as CEO, just that he's the polar opposite of Jobs in this regard.
    and? why would you expect two entirely different people with entirely different backgrounds and skills to have the same presenting ability? yeah Jobs was excellent at presenting, but that's rare from a CEO -- that's why most have MCs and spokespeople. Jobs didnt need that. but that doesnt mean id expect Cook to have that same ability. he doesnt. but luckily for him thats not the core skill for a successful CEO. running the company successfully is. 
  • Reply 91 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ok, I STREAM Pandora through the speakers of the vehicles I drive, while CHARGING at the same time  (when the battery gets low).
    Now what?
    Well I guess you don’t buy an iPhone 7. Better yet just leave the platform. Problem solved. In September 2012 you commented that you would not be buying an iPhone 5 because of the Lightening connector. Then in February of 2014 you commented that you had an iPhone 5s. Now you are implying your won’t buy an iPhone 7 because of the headphone jack. What’s your problem anyway?
    edited September 2016 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mike fix said:
    I could open a museum with all the stupid adapters I've needed over the years using Apple products.
    I've a ton of adapters I've bought in the last 35 years and I wouldn't call any of them stupid as they all enabled me to use the latest Mac of the day with older peripheral.  What is stupid about that?  The alternative is your iPhone might have AppleTalk and a SCSI connector.  Apple has usually led the way, peripherals catch up soon thereafter.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

toddzrx said:
    wizard69 said:
    mac_128 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

and? why would you expect two entirely different people with entirely different backgrounds and skills to have the same presenting ability? yeah Jobs was excellent at presenting, but that's rare from a CEO -- that's why most have MCs and spokespeople. Jobs didnt need that. but that doesnt mean id expect Cook to have that same ability. he doesnt. but luckily for him thats not the core skill for a successful CEO. running the company successfully is. 
    Exactly.  Steve was a genius in lots of areas but probably wasn't too good at setting up the slickest manufacturing system ever known on planet earth, that's why he hired Tim.
    edited September 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 94 of 113
    i did, and they had a shot that clearly showed detection from the end. watch it again.
    Apparently you didn't catch the cutaway diagram that clearly shows the battery filling the volume of the stem.  Please re-watch.
  • Reply 95 of 113
    toddzrx said:
    wizard69 said:
    mac_128 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

And what?  Your reply adds no information or asks any intelligent question to what I just said.  No kidding Cook and Jobs came from different backgrounds and have different personalities.  What's that got to do with anything I said?  I was addressing the topic of comfort in front of a crowd, the point originally brought up.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    GrizRuss said:
    The adapter should have two tails, one to go to your old headphones and one to connect the charging cable so you can charge and listen through headphones at the same time. Forget the adapter, how do you charge your phone while listening with the Lightning Ear Buds? How do the geniuses at Apple not think of that? Steve Jobs is truly dead.
    AirPods + charging is easy -- just plug in while using wireless. if both your phone and your headphones are dead, you failed, try again next time. 
    You clearly never used an iPod or iPhone.

Wander around outside for a few hours and notice how many people have headphones/earbuds on. When I worked for a call center, that was a 10 hour shift without an opportunity to charge the phone (eventually I bought a counterfeit charger off eBay just to leave at work) and I was able to listen to the music on the phone for a complete shift and be able to listen to it on the way to and from work. That was not going to be possible with an iPhone then, or even now, so removing the 3.5mm jack now made the iPhone no longer an option for people who listen to music for long periods of time.

5 hour earpods are not going to cut it, and neither will a phone with less than a full day's charge. This is why I keep repeating that Apple did not learn the lesson from Nintendo's clamshell GBA, nor did it learn it from the times Nokia did it either. People DO NOT WANT a single interface jack, nor do they want dongles hanging off their device. You may as well make the device twice as thick and double the battery life, because that's what you're doing by introducing a dongle of any kind.

ewtheckman
  • Reply 97 of 113
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    For those of you who say 'nobody ever listens to music and charges their phone at the same time'....
    Don't be so narrow minded! 
    There are those of us who do a lot of driving, and some of us who even drive for a living. I do both and the music that I drive to is streamed. Believe it or not, that runs down the battery (hard to imagine, isn't it?).
    So, tell me. How am I supposed to do all my driving, stream music and recharge the phone when it's about to go dead?
    Anybody got any ideas? Because, until that problem is solved, I can't get a new iPhone (and I'll bet there are lots of others in the same boat). I guess no one at Apple thought of this problem.......!!!
    I stream all my music in my truck.  I haven't used a headphone jack since early in with my iPhone 4.  It's called Bluetooth!.  Gives you a wireless connection to your radio.  Also can give you hands free calling like mine does.  Bluetooth has been around for years.   I just swapped out the radio in my dad true too a new Alpine.  Nothing at all fancy.  Single DIN unit.  Replacing his old unit with had a wired 30-pin plug. Now he's also Bluetooth with the added hands free calling.  

For home or work, there's a zillion different speaker docks you can buy.  Mine is 30-pin. So I had to get a adapter though it also works Bluetooth.  So I can dock it, its charging and playing music wired.  Sounds great.  I haven't used a 3.5mm plug in years other then for my mini IR blasters for my harmony remote.

These types of plugs were invented for phone switch boards.  You know what those are right?  The 3.5mm plug is just a smaller version of it that came out in the 60's.   I think it's time to move forward.  I've seen all kinds of plugs and derives over the years disappear.  Whos still playing their 8-track?  Floppy disks? Tube tv's. Let's bring it all back and live in the last forever!!! 

watto_cobranolamacguy
  • Reply 98 of 113
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Now what?
    I stream Amazon Prime Music in my car, plugged into the lightning port.  Never once used the headphone jack.  I even have I've in my radio, it's never been used.  There is this great invention that's been around for a number of years called Bluetooth!!! Sometimes InBev short trips I don't even pull out my phone, just hit play and it starts playing and showing me who's singing at the time.

Is your car really old? Can you even but a new car that doesn't have Bluetooth these days?  There are always ways to get a connection.

I'm sure some 3rd party company will come out with a adapter where you can plug in headphones and charge at the same time if there's acc demand for that.

You can also just not upgrade your iPhone.  I plan to keep my iPhone 6 for a 3rd year.  It works just fine for my needs.  I had my iPhone 4 for 4+ years before getting this 6.  Or go buy a Android phone while they still have the port.  But I bet they will be disappearing also in the next couple years now that Apple done it and the volume of phone they sell.  
  • Reply 99 of 113
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    fallenjt said:

zmas said:
    Remember when you could charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
    use an adapter (sure to come), or better yet wireless, and quit your bitching. or just live with analog tech for the rest of your life. but GTFO either way. 
    The BT Buds don't last very long between charges. That's reserved for the Beats ones at $159 (or more).
    I put my phone in my car and charge it from a 12v adapter. The Car really does not handle any phone apart from Windows ones very well w,r,t, accepting calls and using the hands free. So I use a headphone with mic and stop to take calls. The phone is still being charged.

So now it is one thing or the other. In my eyes, this is a huge loss of functionality and ease of use.
    Until a dual TB adapter comes out there is no way that I will upgrade my phone.
    Sorry Apple you screwed up, big time.

This is a dumbest reason for justifying the use of iPhone: analog headphone port! And Apple don't screw up...maybe only for few of you, not the rest of the world. Remember floppy disk, optical drives in Mac and 30-pin connector in idevices? Whinyass people complained no matter what and Apple still sold millions of them more...
    The reason Apple dumped the 3.5" disk was because NOBODY WAS USING IT ANYMORE by year 2000 (it wasn't available on the iMac in 1998.) It was a standard feature on desktop computers from 1984 until 2008. CD-ROM had replaced it since 1992, and CD-R's were standard features by 2002. Memory cards/USB sticks didn't gain popularity until USB 2.0, up until that point firewire was the trend. Optical drives were dumped prematurely because at that point people were using USB sticks with larger capacity (around 2006) than cd's. Now you can get 128GB USB sticks for 25$, which are faster than burning a write-once blue-ray disc.

Yet, at no point did anyone go "hey lets's remove the 3.5mm jack and force everyone to use USB or Bluetooth" because bluetooth is not standard fare on PC's, and Apple actually offers an digital optical S/PDIF in the 3.5mm jack, which doesn't exist in the iPhone/iPod. We've had S/PDIF available for just as long as a 24-bit TOSLINK since 1998. But here's the thing, that optical connection only supports 2 48Khz channel audio or 5.1/7.1 compressed audio. The lightning connector doesn't provide anything better than this, so what was the point?

The tradeoffs are worse in this case, as the 3.5mm jack is universal on ALL consumer hardware. One might make the argument that it's obsolete... but "wireless" is not the correct solution whatsoever. The correct solution would have been to put TWO lightning connectors on the iPhone, or to put a usb-c connector on the iPhone for charging. Since neither happened, someone needs to be fired for this.

All that's going to happen now is that people who want to listen to their music for 12 hours are going to have to carry around multiple bluetooth earbuds, or "battery-pack"'s will start coming with headphone jacks.
    edited September 2016 indiekiduk
  • Reply 100 of 113
    mjtomlin said:
    TurboPGT said:
    mac_128 said:
     No mention how these can be used for charging and listening
    Because no one cares.
    Why do people keep assuming if they don't care about something no one else does. I can damn well guarantee you I'm not the only one that listens to music while charging my phone when I'm at home. Bottom line is it was an option/feature that's now been taken away and I don't think Apple did a good enough job explaining the benefits to consumers. Maybe instead of Instagram and game demos they could have spent more time on new home button and Taptic Engine features. Again I don't think they made the case to the the average non-techie consumer why removing the headphone jack is a benefit to them.

I thought he explained it fairly well...

1) old technology - Apple is known for chopping tech off at the knees when they think it's time. He said for what they have planned for audio in the future - the 3.5mm connection had no place.

2) single purpose component, took up a lot of valuable internal space that could be used for something else (as you mentioned, the Taptic engine was sitting right where the audio port used reside.)

3) A lot more different types of data can be transmitted over a digital connection - in real time. One example was offloading noise cancellation to the device. Basically this means you can build more "high-end" headphones, for a much cheaper price.

Just to add to my post above, Buzzfeed has a very informative article as to why Apple got rid of the 3.5mm jack:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/inside-iphone-7-why-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack?utm_term=.bneyMYRKnd#.ddY7L9mV4E

It boils down to the following:

1. IP67 Water resistance rating
    2. Better camera system
    3. Taptic Engine
    4. Stereo speakers
    5. Wiress future

Yes, transitions are hard / mess & can suck, at least in the short term, but I think the trade-off is worth it.
    watto_cobranolamacguy