Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black fin

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    What's with all the dark photos? Who shows a black device using a black backdrop? 
    somebody with billions and billions and billions in the bank.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 82 of 128
    Whilst I'm not overly fussed to lose the headphone socket and move to a digital connection, I can't help wondering how you are supposed to simultaneously listen via lightning port headphones AND charge your phone.

Apart from going wireless, I think this is one aspect that has been overlooked and could cause a few issues with adoption.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    eckbrat said:
    Well, I guess I'm a troll then, because I'm aware that a lot of this has all been done better by other companies. I consider myself simply awake and aware of other products out there, but if that is what makes one a troll, then so be it. You can drop a Sony Xperia in the water, and it will be protected up to a meter (and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack). Xperia also had a 20.7mp camera, and that was back in 2014! What Apple is doing is not revolutionary, so please stop acting like it is. While everyone was eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6, other companies were doing laps around this crap, and Apple fanboys and fangirls missed it.

I can't wait for the iPhone 7 to die while I'm trying to listen to music, and then I won't be able to listen anymore, because the same jack being used for my ear buds is needed to charge the phone. THAT people, is how Apple is going to get you to spend more money. Sure, they will give you that adapter, but they know your battery is going to die, and you're going to want to charge your phone and still use the ear buds... thus making you buy the overpriced wireless ones. Honestly, if it weren't for the integration, and the fact that I can easily track my family, I would go back to something else, because Apple just seems money hungry, and people insist on blindly buying into their bullcrap. 
    utter troll nonsense. Apple was very clear on why they ditched the 3.5mm jack. your conspiracy theory that its to sell you their wireless headphones is nutso, since you can use your own wireless headphones at any point if you want to.
    netmagewatto_cobraloquiturcali
  • Reply 84 of 128
    eightzero said:
    I'm a little baffled about the assertion several times that iPhone 7 is the "first iPhone to have stereo speakers." I think technically they all had l/r channels (or at least the iPhone 5s does) but fairly, placed very close together. I agree this new geometry and capability is a significant upgrade; but maybe not "first stereo speakers?"
    iphone's external speaker has not been stereo -- one side was speaker the other mic, going all the way back.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 128
    Gymkhana said:
    The dimwits left the power button directly opposite the volume buttons.  So much for the single-handed operation that I loved in my 5s.  Apple's usual response:  "You're holding it wrong".  Geniuses.  Not.
    and yet, these non-geniuses have managed to make the #1 selling smartphone, year after year, billions & billions in the bank. dont they know how dumb they are!? you should tell them. write Cook a memo and post a copy of it here. they need your help!!
    watto_cobracalibrucemc
  • Reply 86 of 128
    Gymkhana said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but damn, these new iPhones look great!

I'm loving both of the new black colors!

And all of the new features and improvements? Awesome!

I'm serious, anybody who is disappointed in the new iPhone 7 is a complete fucking idiot or a useless troll.

Apple hit it out of the ballpark with the new iPhones!

I don't even care that they removed the headphone jack, since they even provide an adapter with the phone. I was one of the people who was skeptical about removing the headphone jack, but I listened to the arguments made on stage, and I suppose that it does make sense, since space is obviously at a premium, and you can't be hanging on to old tech forever.

Except they left the bad location of the power button, established with the 6 series.  It's a big pain in the a$$ when trying to drop the thing into a pocket with one hand.  Physics dictates that an opposite force needs to be placed when pressing the power button, which is exactly the location of the volume buttons.  The button design means that instead of the phone shutting off as it goes into the pocket, it merely changes volume, then it happily pocket dials the entire contacts list.  Sucko design, wish they would fix it back to the Jobs-era power button placement.  Lots else is pretty nice though.  Honestly still not worth an upgrade from my 6-plus though.  Okay, go ahead fanboy trolls, give me the obligatory "Dislike" votes because I didn't fawn over Apple's new breathtaking amazement.  But seriously, no mention of battery life in the Watch?  Clearly means battery life still sucks, because they were all over battery life improvement in the iPhone description.  And the big opening for the event?  A Mario scroller?  Really?  Another endless scroller game.  Yay!  Um, Yawn...
    clearly you dont own the AW, because it gets great battery life. much better than the device its an accessory to, so ive never had it die before charging at night; usually 40-50% left.
    edited September 2016 ai46netmagewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 87 of 128
    What's with all the dark photos? Who shows a black device using a black backdrop? 
    Basically every one of your posts is because, Apple. As if it's impossible that they could be wrong about anything ever.
    cnocbuidasanman69
  • Reply 88 of 128
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

what actual value-add would you derive from an edge-to-edge screen or new case design?
    netmage
  • Reply 89 of 128
    sog35 said:

The only thing the iPhone 7 is missing is useless gimmicks and bloated crap that no one uses.

This is by FAR the best iPhone ever made. I'm getting 100% tempted on picking up a 32 GB Jet Black 7+.............DAMN.
    You can't.  iPhone  7+ storage is 128G or 256G only.
  • Reply 90 of 128
    nikgreen said:
    Whilst I'm not overly fussed to lose the headphone socket and move to a digital connection, I can't help wondering how you are supposed to simultaneously listen via lightning port headphones AND charge your phone.

Apart from going wireless, I think this is one aspect that has been overlooked and could cause a few issues with adoption.
    no, it hasnt been overlooked. there are several solutions to that particular use case.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 128
    Basically every one of your posts is because, Apple. As if it's impossible that they could be wrong about anything ever.
    nope -- its to remind trolls that apple knows what the fuck its doing, unlike you armchair executives who have in all likeliness never launched or sold a product in your lives.

so let me water it down for you: how do you think they got the billions in the bank? by building excellent products. then how did they sell those devices? by making excellent marketing decisions. so why is the black device using a black backdrop? because it will help to sell it because it looks badass.

seriously. how many years will it take before you realize they know what theyre doing? that they arent, in fact, clueless? that no, you really couldnt do it better or you would be?
    netmagewatto_cobracaliloquiturpscooter63
  • Reply 92 of 128
    Apple was very clear on why they ditched the 3.5mm jack.
    Actually, they weren't.  Phil just said: "courage", and something about the analog jack being old tech.  How lame is that?  Old tech?  So are the wheels on your car, but they work just fine.  I have yet to hear any convincing reason for why removing the headphone jack makes a difference to how the average person will operate or experience any kind of dramatic improvement in their life.  Notice I said average person, not the fascist tech nerds here on AI.

I'm neutral on the new phone.  If you need to upgrade then go for it.  If you take lots of pictures then maybe the new camera is worth it.  For me, I live just fine on an old hand-me-down 5S and plan to use it for at least another year; it does everything I need it to do.
    watto_cobraasdasd
  • Reply 93 of 128
    eckbrat said:
    Well, I guess I'm a troll then, because I'm aware that a lot of this has all been done better by other companies. I consider myself simply awake and aware of other products out there, but if that is what makes one a troll, then so be it. You can drop a Sony Xperia in the water, and it will be protected up to a meter (and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack). Xperia also had a 20.7mp camera, and that was back in 2014! What Apple is doing is not revolutionary, so please stop acting like it is. While everyone was eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6, other companies were doing laps around this crap, and Apple fanboys and fangirls missed it.

I can't wait for the iPhone 7 to die while I'm trying to listen to music, and then I won't be able to listen anymore, because the same jack being used for my ear buds is needed to charge the phone. THAT people, is how Apple is going to get you to spend more money. Sure, they will give you that adapter, but they know your battery is going to die, and you're going to want to charge your phone and still use the ear buds... thus making you buy the overpriced wireless ones. Honestly, if it weren't for the integration, and the fact that I can easily track my family, I would go back to something else, because Apple just seems money hungry, and people insist on blindly buying into their bullcrap. 
    Buy a $15 fucking dollar Y adapter and you'll be set hey.
    netmagewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 94 of 128
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

Who gives a frack about edge to edge! Tiresome.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 128
    eightzero said:
    I'm a little baffled about the assertion several times that iPhone 7 is the "first iPhone to have stereo speakers." I think technically they all had l/r channels (or at least the iPhone 5s does) but fairly, placed very close together. I agree this new geometry and capability is a significant upgrade; but maybe not "first stereo speakers?"
    iphone's external speaker has not been stereo -- one side was speaker the other mic, going all the way back.
    Well, by golly by gum, I had to test this just now...and you're right. That other grill over there on the left doesn't play music at all. Thanks for correcting my mistake. 

Musta gotten confused with iPad, which does indeed have 2 L/R speakers that I just also tested.

cali
  • Reply 96 of 128
    So CNN had a news story about this event and they literally said if you want to listen to music on the new iPhones you're going to have to spend $159 on new headphones. Apple's marketing team better be ready to go making sure nobody is confused. 
    netmagecalidasanman69
  • Reply 97 of 128
    toddzrx said:
    Apple was very clear on why they ditched the 3.5mm jack.
    Actually, they weren't.  Phil just said: "courage", and something about the analog jack being old tech.  How lame is that?  Old tech?  So are the wheels on your car, but they work just fine.  I have yet to hear any convincing reason for why removing the headphone jack makes a difference to how the average person will operate or experience any kind of dramatic improvement in their life.  Notice I said average person, not the fascist tech nerds here on AI.

I'm neutral on the new phone.  If you need to upgrade then go for it.  If you take lots of pictures then maybe the new camera is worth it.  For me, I live just fine on an old hand-me-down 5S and plan to use it for at least another year; it does everything I need it to do.
    I found it inspirational and motivating, not lame. I'm fairly sure the wheels on my car are a bit different than the wheels on the car my grandfather bought when the 3.5" jack came out, but my car is superior in every way to his. I found Phil's description of the tech advantages lightning has over analog to be compelling and convincing. I guess that makes me a fascist nerd, but I find your argument that this is the case to be totally lacking in merit

I will say that i agree that my 5S does everything I need it to do. This is different than everything I want it to do, for which I need to assess those needs in terms of value and cost. My 5S is losing battery life, something I can expect after 3 years of daily use. I think the "live photos" is entertaining. The bigger capacities are nice, but I also think this means I get longer to decide to upload photos to another device/ iCloud. I like the earpods. But at the end of the day, I always ask myself, "when have I ever been disappointed when I bought quality?" Never.
    ai46netmagewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 98 of 128
    r1sko said:

what actual value-add would you derive from an edge-to-edge screen or new case design?

Precisely the same value-add that Apple derives from having Jony Ive to lead the design team instead of letting him drink Guinness with Bono in Dublin since the iPhone 6 release. Or as Steve once said: "Design is the fundamental soul of a man-made creation that ends up expressing itself in succesive outer layers of the project, or service.” Or perhaps Apple itself can convince you with one of the two iPhone 7 videos

watto_cobracalidasanman69
  • Reply 99 of 128
    foggyhill said:
    r1sko said:

Who gives a frack about edge to edge! Tiresome.
    Those who buy Apple products to love them. Looking at the same design for 4 years sounds tiresome to me
    dasanman69
  • Reply 100 of 128
    Seriously get rid of all the other muted cheap looking gold and rose gold colors and bring glossy black and white back. Nothing looked more elegant than the iPhone 4 with its matching glass back and front. Jet black brings that elegance back to the phone. I for one am hoping the all glass enclosure for the iPhone 7s/8 is true.
    netmage