Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black fin

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    Willbert said:
    The AT&T/T-Mobile models, A1778 & A1784, do not have CDMA. While the CDMA models, A1660 & A1661, have all the same specs plus CDMA. So much for switching. Why can't there just be one.

Could this have anything to do with the rumor that the AT&T iPhones use the new Intel modem?  Supposedly the Intel modem won't support CDMA until next year.

If Apple is willing to bifurcate its US phones this way, there must be some compelling reason to do so.  

• Reply 102 of 128
    toddzrx said:
    Apple was very clear on why they ditched the 3.5mm jack.
    Actually, they weren't.  Phil just said: "courage", and something about the analog jack being old tech.  How lame is that?  Old tech?  So are the wheels on your car, but they work just fine.  I have yet to hear any convincing reason for why removing the headphone jack makes a difference to how the average person will operate or experience any kind of dramatic improvement in their life.  Notice I said average person, not the fascist tech nerds here on AI.

I'm neutral on the new phone.  If you need to upgrade then go for it.  If you take lots of pictures then maybe the new camera is worth it.  For me, I live just fine on an old hand-me-down 5S and plan to use it for at least another year; it does everything I need it to do.
    No, it wasn't. Phil said the space inside the phone is premium, and if one needs to remove one thing, then it would be the headset jackport. He said courage because it took one to remove that on the most used smartphone in the world.

I don't have problem with jack-port removal because I have been using wireless headset for years. I see that Apple will take a beating for this just as they did when they remove CD-ROM, etc, but you know what, at the end of the day people will adapt. How many people still use CD now? I foresee more BT or USB-C/lightning headphones in the future. Remember The 3.5mm jack has been the industry standard since the Walkman. In the technology world, it's a relative fossil, and Apple has decided to move on. It doesn't mean Apple did not give you option either, hence the included adapter.

note: your wheel analogy is irrelevance, because truly what other alternative there is for a wheel? Legs?
    edited September 2016 netmagewatto_cobranolamacguy
  • Reply 103 of 128
    sog35 said:
    Jet Black looks AMAZING!
    Black looks AMAZING!

7+ camera is MIND BLOWING.

Water proof is a nice bonus.

This is a great new phone

Still on the 6+. While the new features look interesting, I just don't feel a
    compelling need to update. Will probably hold off and change on the "S" update. Does speak to what a great job Apple did with the 6 that it feels pretty much as good as the day I got it. 
    netmage
  • Reply 104 of 128
    Gymkhana said:
    The dimwits left the power button directly opposite the volume buttons.  So much for the single-handed operation that I loved in my 5s.  Apple's usual response:  "You're holding it wrong".  Geniuses.  Not.
    and yet, these non-geniuses have managed to make the #1 selling smartphone, year after year, billions & billions in the bank. dont they know how dumb they are!? you should tell them. write Cook a memo and post a copy of it here. they need your help!!
    Apple's success has no bearing on the relative value of any particular feature. It is possible for a product to be successful IN SPITE of characteristics that most people dislike. People hated the original iDrive system in the BMW but bought the cars anyway because, as a WHOLE, the benefits outweighed the liabilities. That doesn't mean that iDrive must have been good because BMW sold a lot of cars.

I'm not saying the placement of the power button is good or bad, just that sales volume is not a good way to assess the value of any particular individual feature.
    cali
  • Reply 105 of 128
    r1sko said:
    foggyhill said:
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

Who gives a frack about edge to edge! Tiresome.
    Those who buy Apple products to love them. Looking at the same design for 4 years sounds tiresome to me
    Guess Porsche should close up shop then huh. Utter nonsense. If a design is not useful or well done, don't do it. Doing it "just because" is utter bullock.
    netmagewatto_cobranolamacguycali
  • Reply 106 of 128
    Sog getting excited over the Jet Black 32GB model and having to stump up more cash to get one haha

Priceless.
    edited September 2016 shunting123watto_cobradasanman69
  • Reply 107 of 128
    foggyhill said:
    r1sko said:
    foggyhill said:
    r1sko said:

Sorry guys. I’m really trying hard, but I can’t share your enthusiasm. I’m scrolling through the list of new features over and over but for the first time since 2008 I can’t seem to convince myself that upgrading to 7 makes much sense. I think the lack of new design, or egde to edge screen, leaves me with no emotion that I was so used to with every Apple product release. 

Who gives a frack about edge to edge! Tiresome.
    Those who buy Apple products to love them. Looking at the same design for 4 years sounds tiresome to me
    Guess Porsche should close up shop then huh. Utter nonsense. If a design is not useful or well done, don't do it. Doing it "just because" is utter bullock.
    Fair point. The 911 hasn't changed a bit in the last 50 years. Or has it? I guess the iPhone design team can close the shop then huh. 
  • Reply 108 of 128
    shev said:
    Sog getting excited over the Jet Black 32GB model and having to stump up more cash to get one haha

Priceless.
    I'm really surprised this issue hasn't gotten more attention.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Gymkhana said:
    The dimwits left the power button directly opposite the volume buttons.  So much for the single-handed operation that I loved in my 5s.  Apple's usual response:  "You're holding it wrong".  Geniuses.  Not.
    and yet, these non-geniuses have managed to make the #1 selling smartphone, year after year, billions & billions in the bank. dont they know how dumb they are!? you should tell them. write Cook a memo and post a copy of it here. they need your help!!
    Apple's success has no bearing on the relative value of any particular feature. It is possible for a product to be successful IN SPITE of characteristics that most people dislike. People hated the original iDrive system in the BMW but bought the cars anyway because, as a WHOLE, the benefits outweighed the liabilities. That doesn't mean that iDrive must have been good because BMW sold a lot of cars.

I'm not saying the placement of the power button is good or bad, just that sales volume is not a good way to assess the value of any particular individual feature.
    my comment wasn't about a power button. it's about the techie know-it-all position that Apple is dumb, doesn't know what it's doing, fail boat, etc... same old crap every year. meanwhile, consumers love their products and vote with their dollars. 

get it?
    calisockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 128
    r1sko said:

what actual value-add would you derive from an edge-to-edge screen or new case design?
    Just wait until Apple shows you. 
    dasanman69sockrolid
  • Reply 111 of 128
    I was all excited to buy the Jet Black version, but why is Apple forcing you to upgrade to 128GB for that one?  Is it me, or is that just a bit sleazy?  They figure it will be a hot color (something they realized after discontinuing it, I guess?) so now they are essentially charging more for it?
    Nothing sleazy about it.  I guess you weren't around when Apple charged more for a black polycarbonate MacBook (as opposed to white).  $100 more, if I recall correctly.

One man's aspirational feature is another's sour grapes, I suppose.

SpamSandwichsockrolid
  • Reply 112 of 128
    I don't know what is happening. After (fairly) criticizing Apple's decisions on almost any post, it's if they listened and did everything I was hoping for.
    The iPhone 7 is superior to any other device on almost any single metric, and the looks...

I also can't explain this, but I need the 7s Plus, jet black (I will destroy anything that scratches it), 128 GB. I need it, my precious!
    sockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 128
    MacBAir said:
    I don't know what is happening. After (fairly) criticizing Apple's decisions on almost any post, it's if they listened and did everything I was hoping for.
    The iPhone 7 is superior to any other device on almost any single metric, and the looks...

I also can't explain this, but I need the 7s Plus, jet black (I will destroy anything that scratches it), 128 GB. I need it, my precious!

Go for it Gollum!

MacBAirSpamSandwichpscooter63sockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 128
    So according to the NY Slimes the iPhone 7 is a dud because industrial designers and tech critics don't think Apple's design dazzles anymore. Yawn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/technology/whats-really-missing-from-the-new-iphone-dazzle.html
    sockrolid
  • Reply 115 of 128
    So according to the NY Slimes the iPhone 7 is a dud because industrial designers and tech critics don't think Apple's design dazzles anymore. Yawn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/technology/whats-really-missing-from-the-new-iphone-dazzle.html
    How old are you, Rogifan? Honest question.

After reading a lot of your posts, I get this feeling that you are old enough and you should know better.
    • You should know better that articles like that aren't news;
    • You should know better about the fact that Apple's strategy of not trying to sell the most potatoes but rather the best potatoes will always confuse the less informed;
    • You should know better about the fact that Apple's strategy will always leave the door open for rumors;
    • You should know better about the fact that just like Ali realized that people would pay more to see him lose, because he was so good and successful, people will click more to see if Apple loses. That's where that article comes from.
    Things like that article are harmless. They only matter for stock price and the opinion of the uninformed joe. Both are irrelevant to Apple's success and the quality of their devices. Just get over that crap, already. Let the NYT and any other publication spell doom and gloom, as always. So what? It's their opinion and/or their strategy to have more clicks. Blame people's stupidity and the webzzzz economics.
  • Reply 116 of 128
    [.... regarding feature bumps not on iPhone 6]
    1. Two hour longer battery life. And probably 4 hours longer now since your battery is 2 years old
    2. CPU/GPU that is 200% faster than the 6
    3. Force touch
    4. Far superior camera. Just as good as DLSR for the majority of users. I own a DLSR and they are complicated
    5. Double the storage space
    6. New Black finishes
    7. Better speakers, Waterproof, cleaner design
    8. Solid state home button with 3D touch
    9. Brighter display, wider color gamut

So that's enough?  

although these may be minor, don't forget:

10. Series 7000 aluminum for extra rigidity
    11. MIMO added to WiFi
    12. Support for LTE advanced
    13. Better motion coprocessor
    14. Faster Touch ID
    15. In the photo category, besides better still camera,
          live photos, 4K video @60fps, Retina Flash, etc.

These were added just for 6 -> 6S.   Definitely enough compelling features to get me
    to retire the 6.   Water resistance alone can save the cost of having insurance
    which often covers glass breakage + theft, but not water damage which is often totals the phone.
    sockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 128
    my comment wasn't about a power button. it's about the techie know-it-all position that Apple is dumb, doesn't know what it's doing, fail boat, etc... same old crap every year. meanwhile, consumers love their products and vote with their dollars. 

get it?

What I "get" is that you seem to attack anyone who doesn't support any and every decision Apple makes. I don't understand why.

Obviously the choices Apple makes suit you fine, and that's awesome! For others, some of those choices are not to their liking. By saying "I like this about the new iPhone but not that" I'm not saying I know better than Apple, I'm saying the choice had a detrimental affect on MY enjoyment of the product. Insulting me for that is not just anti-social and a little masturbatory, it ignores the fact that no company is perfect, and sometimes, despite Apple's best efforts, buyers may not perceive the benefits Apple intended as an improvement.

I understand where you stand on the issue of the headphone jack and why you feel that way. I do wish that you could express your views without the vitriol towards anyone who disagrees though.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 118 of 128
    There is at least one other way Apple could have gained the space they freed up by removing the headphone jack: make the phone a quarter of a millimetre thicker. I don't recall anyone who used an iPhone 4 complaining that it was just too damn THICK! :)
    cnocbui
  • Reply 119 of 128
    The camera has a bump. Why is that acceptable but a bump for a headphone jack isn't?

Just playing Devil's Advocate. It's not really a big deal for me, but the marketing spin DOES have me rolling my eyes a bit.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 120 of 128
    To those who say that it doesn't matter that charging and audio output share a connector:

My car has a 3.5mm input for outboard audio. No CarPlay, no Bluetooth. It's an integrated system so replacing the head unit means also having to replace a custom multi-channel amp. Maybe the speakers too, but I don't know that for sure yet. That's a lot of hassle and expense to accommodate a phone.

The alternative is to use the included adapter to feed the 3.5mm Aux input on the existing head unit, but then I can't recharge it.

At some point I'm sure someone will (or maybe already does) offer a Lightning splitter/Y-adapter which will allow this to work, but then I've got a Y-cable and Lightning-3.5mm adapter added to the mess of cable hanging over my dashboard like spilled spaghetti. Obviously not a deal-breaker but certainly less than elegant.

This use case doesn't seem particularly unique or esoteric, so I would argue that there is at least one example of how removing the 3.5mm jack has a downside. That's without mentioning all my fellow corporate drones who charge their phones at their desks while listening who now are either going to have to come up with a similar adapter solution or buy wireless cans that will then also require recharging. Again, not the end of the world, but an unwelcome added hassle.