What you need to know about Apple Watch Series 2 before preorders begin on Friday, Sept. 9

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2016
Although iPhone 7 hogged the spotlight at Apple's Sept. 7 special event, the company also announced a hotly anticipated update to its wearables lineup in Apple Watch Series 2. The second-generation device ships next week with GPS capabilities, faster processor, swim-proof housing, a new ceramic edition and more.

The Apple Watch Series 2 looks much the same as its predecessor on the outside. However, the new version is powered by a dual-core processor and -- much to the delight of avid runners and frequent travelers -- on-board GPS. This means users can navigate Maps, track runs and complete other geolocation tasks without being tethered to an iPhone.

For swimmers, the new Series 2 Apple Watch is not just splash-resistant like Apple Watch Series 1, but also water-resistant to a depth of 50 meters, the industry standard for a swim watch.

Hikers and other outdoorsy types will have fewer issues when taking Watch outside, as the new iteration comes with a much brighter screen. Apple calls it the brightest display that they have ever shipped, on any device.

Apple Watch Series 2 starts at $369 for all 38mm aluminum versions, while 42mm models come in at $399. Apple is offering the same silver, gold, rose gold and Space Black colorways in both sizes, with a choice of sport or woven nylon band.

Stainless steel and Space Black stainless steel Apple Watch Series 2 models start at $549 for the 38mm version with sport band, or $599 for 42mm. Leather bands, Milanese Loop and stainless steel link bands are also available at an additional cost.

FuelBand fitness monitor reborn?

Apple and Nike have teamed together for a special edition of the Apple Watch -- the Nike+. The exercise-oriented variant of the Series 2 features a unique perforated elastomer band and a lightweight aluminum case.

Some questions still surround the Apple Watch Nike+ edition. Right now, there's no certainty that the Nike+ software demonstrated onstage at today's keynote is compatible with regular Apple Watch versions, and neither Apple nor Nike is talking about it just yet.

So, if you want the Nike+ look and feel, and the specialized watch faces associated with the device, it may be best to buy that version and get a different watch band for venues not demanding physical exertion.

Pricing is identical to non-Nike Series 2 packages.

Speaking of Apple Watch bands

Apple has renewed its partnership with Hermes, and today introduced three new leather bands designed by the French fashion house. You'd better have deep pockets for them, though. The Single Tour band sells for $1,100, with the Double Tour hitting $1,250. The Hermes Cuff is $1,500.

Want a gold Apple Watch? Not this time around.

Also new this year for the upper crust is a model of the Apple Watch Series 2 crafted from white "pearl-like" ceramic. Apple claims the new material is four times harder than stainless steel, which should help with damage resistance. We don't know much about it yet, as it is literally the first casing of its kind on a wearable.

The ceramic model comes with a "Cloud" color sport band and sells for $1,249 for the 38mm case, while the 42mm version comes in at $1,299.

Moving on down the line

If you don't need the better screen, integrated GPS, or swim-rated waterproofing, the original Apple Watch has been slightly upgraded with Apple's faster processor.

Rebranded as the Apple Watch Series 1, the device is also less expensive and will retail for $269.

How do you get the new Apple Watch?

Preorders start Friday, Sept. 9, most likely at midnight Pacific time. Shipments arrive to the first pre-orderer customers on Sept. 16, with retail locations receiving stock shortly thereafter.

We're not certain of the demand for the device. The first generation Apple Watch had some pre-orders delivered several months later, so if you want one, it's probably best to get on board early.

An Apple retail associate has told AppleInsider that employee training on the iPhone every year program will be held on Thursday, one day prior to the scheduled public release of iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2. We've reached out to Apple for official comment on the matter and will update this article when a response is received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    The original Apple Watch was offered in many different band combinations. Currently on the website it offers the 42mm stainless in white fluro and brown leather bands only. Is the website just not fully updated with all options or have they streamlined the options?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Jvalley18 said:
    The original Apple Watch was offered in many different band combinations. Currently on the website it offers the 42mm stainless in white fluro and brown leather bands only. Is the website just not fully updated with all options or have they streamlined the options?
    As far as we know, and have been told, the website is just not fully updated.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I called and spoke to an Apple representative regarding the exclusive use of the Nike+ face on the Nike+ model. They were not updated regarding many details other than what was on the website as of 5pm EST. 

After being placed on hold so the representative could consult with his colleagues he said "We BELIEVE that the Nike+ face will be exclusive to that model and not available on the regular Apple Watch. This is similar to the Hermes collection." which is what I had thought. 

As a serious runner, this model along with the GPS update is very exciting!  It's also worth the wait until late October for the Nike+ model. 
    edited September 2016 williamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I'm not sure if I should get the Series 1 or Series 2. It's funny, both my mom and sister like to swim and so both are set on the Series 2. If the GPS would improve my iPhone's battery when playing Pokemon Go I'd probably go for that. Otherwise the only real perk for me would be the brighter screen. But I'm not sure that's really worth paying a descent bit more.
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    For me, the original Apple Watch suffices, so I'll wait to see if next year's AW3 is a more significant upgrade.
    cyberzombie
  • Reply 6 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bluefire1 said:
    For me, the original Apple Watch suffices, so I'll wait to see if next year's AW3 is a more significant upgrade.
    You meant next "2" years because Apple didn't announce AW every year.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonstanhopenolamacguyalbegarcdoozydozenurahara
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Is there an always on "dim" mode for the watch 2 display? I would like to see the time without moving the watch towards you.
    baederboy
  • Reply 8 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    As is usually the case with Apple products, this second generation version is a big improvement over the first gen device. So I'm finally going to take the plunge (figuratively and literally!) and purchase one!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 30
    The partnerships with Nike and Hermes are intriguing. Apple is positioning itself as the maker of watch movements, in addition to developing and marketing their own watches. I suspect that is also the reason why Apple's watch faces are rather dull, to make the partnership watches more alluring. I look forward to further partnerships and possible Apple/TAG Heuer, Apple/Panerai and Apple/Montblanc watches. I would pay a premium for that co-branding and exclusive good looking watch faces. I think the Apple/Hermes watch faces are gorgeous and well worth the premium; although I was surprised that they allowed the watch bands to be sold separately to owners of non-Hermes AW's.... 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Jvalley18 said:
    As far as we know, and have been told, the website is just not fully updated.
    The website has been updated (nothing has changed)... Apple is simply not offering as many combinations "out of the box" this time around. If you want different bands, you just have to buy them separately.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I bought the original AW out the gate.  I was so hoping that the AW2 would offer something irresistible to inspire purchase.  It has not.  While I go to the gym 5x/week, the GPS does little for me.  Water resistance means nothing for me so only the improved processor would move me to buy as I do think the watch slow.  I'll read more reviews before making a final decision but it is looking like AW3 for me at this point.
    albegarcdoozydozenurahara
  • Reply 12 of 30
    stanhope said:
    I bought the original AW out the gate.  I was so hoping that the AW2 would offer something irresistible to inspire purchase.  It has not.  While I go to the gym 5x/week, the GPS does little for me.  Water resistance means nothing for me so only the improved processor would move me to buy as I do think the watch slow.  I'll read more reviews before making a final decision but it is looking like AW3 for me at this point.
    then congratulations on a good purchase that delivered value from day 1. I did as well. as for AW2, I don't believe I'll need to upgrade either since like you my workouts are in a fixed location. but that's fine, I wasn't expecting anything more from the new model than gps. my runner and swimmer friends are pretty interested now tho, and I'll likely upgrade my SO's who runs. different strokes. 
    albegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 30
    It might have been a good idea to reiterate that the Nike+ watches will not be available until "late October." A lot of people either missed that from the keynote or haven't heard it from many sources. Pre-orders will still go live on 9/9, but then there will be a wait.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

What you need to know about Apple Watch Series 2 

expensive, pointless, lacking utility, appealing to vanity

$1100 for a wristband? Steve Jobs would be so proud.

What Hath Cook Wrought (besides enhancing shareholder value)?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    xixo said:

What you need to know about Apple Watch Series 2 

expensive, pointless, lacking utility, appealing to vanity

$1100 for a wristband? Steve Jobs would be so proud.

What Hath Cook Wrought (besides enhancing shareholder value)?
    You forgot the best feature: the one which provides assholes and trolls the greatest opportunity smugly to declare their superiority and infinite wisdom by telling people what idiots they are for wanting, liking and enjoying this product. Can't put a price on that, can you?!
    edited September 2016 rbonnertmayai46unicronbrucemcdoozydozenuraharabadmonk
  • Reply 16 of 30
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Since a round bezel doesn't appear to be happening, it looks like I'll have a Nike+ in my future.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    "What you need to know about the Apple Watch Series 2"

Battery life? Seriously, what is the battery life. If I charge it overnight, and go for a 90 mins run in the morning using GPS, will it still last all day? GPS is very expensive battery wise (my Garmin 225 gets about 10 hours with GPS running, or about 3 weeks if you don't use GPS). Given the Apple Watch lasts barely 24 hours just with normal use, a 1 - 2 hour workout in the morning is going to affect things. Let's say you go to Yosemite and do one of those 4-hour hikes (like they demo'ed) using GPS?

Sorry to be a negative nanny, but no one has mentioned battery life at all, and it's one of the most important things in a sports watch,
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Since the watch is modular it would have been nice if Apple offered the watch sands band so current gen watch owners could just replace the watch. I already own a number of bands. I don't need a new band, I just want the new watch. And since I'm not a swimme or runner I'd probably go with the Series 1 watch. Sure you can buy the watch and then sell the band that comes with it but seems to be a better UX would be offering the watch without band.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    stanhope said:
    That's often the case for me, skip a generation.  You got version 1 so three makes sense for you, I didn't get a one so a two seems the one for me.  Life's funny like that.  :)

williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 30
    "What you need to know about the Apple Watch Series 2"

Battery life? Seriously, what is the battery life. If I charge it overnight, and go for a 90 mins run in the morning using GPS, will it still last all day? GPS is very expensive battery wise (my Garmin 225 gets about 10 hours with GPS running, or about 3 weeks if you don't use GPS). Given the Apple Watch lasts barely 24 hours just with normal use, a 1 - 2 hour workout in the morning is going to affect things. Let's say you go to Yosemite and do one of those 4-hour hikes (like they demo'ed) using GPS?

Sorry to be a negative nanny, but no one has mentioned battery life at all, and it's one of the most important things in a sports watch,
    https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

An 8-hour workout paired with the iPhone's GPS is like a 5-hour workout using the watch GPS. So a hit, but not too bad. Why anyone would do an 8-hour run (even 27k runners take much less time)...a 5-hour hike sans-phone more likely.

Typical use is the same as the original - 18 hours:
    Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 1, Apple Watch Series 2, and Apple Watch Edition, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.
    fwiw, when I do workouts, I stream via the iPhone - that's a hit to battery life.