Apple Watch Series 2 abandons gold Edition models in favor of ceramic

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    cnocbui said:
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as an eventual collectors piece.
    Nothing powered by a short-lifespan Li-ion battery is anything I would regard as a collectors piece.
    the nealry-million dollar price of the Apple I disagrees with you.
    The Apple I had a Li-ion battery? 
    cnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 22 of 50
    like Cook said at launch two years ago, Edition was a limited edition. nothing real controversial about that, tho im sure there will be those will try to spin it as further proof of doom or something.
    Everything's a limited edition. Not making it this time around means it didn't sell enough. The whole AW as jewelry experiment didn't pan out exactly as they had hoped. 
    everything's a "limited edition"? man it's really getting hard for you to come up w/ new material, isnt it?

as for sales -- prove it. oh wait you cant, because its just your hater opinion presented as fact.... in real life apple's now the #2 watchmaker in the world. oops.
    You can't prove it either. I never said they didn't sell boatloads of the other versions. Just not enough of the gold version to make it again. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 23 of 50
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,045member
    cnocbui said:
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as eventual collectors piece.
    Nothing powered by a short-lifespan Li-ion battery is anything I would regard as a collectors piece.
    We'll see but I don't think the gold watches will ever be very valuable.  It's not like it was one of the first watches or something.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    stourque said:
    Several gold editions listed on eBay for around $1200.
    Dang - they must've sold.  I would've bought one for that price.  Cheapest one I see now is around $4800 :(
  • Reply 25 of 50
    macxpress said:
    like Cook said at launch two years ago, Edition was a limited edition. nothing real controversial about that, tho im sure there will be those will try to spin it as further proof of doom or something.
    Everything's a limited edition. Not making it this time around means it didn't sell enough. The whole AW as jewelry experiment didn't pan out exactly as they had hoped. 

Happen to have any numbers to back up that statement?
    Who needs numbers when there's cause and effect? We don't know Apple's internal numbers, but we know their reaction to those numbers. 
    So in other words...no you don't have numbers to back up your FUD! Next!
    patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 50
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Happen to have any numbers to back up that statement?
    Who needs numbers when there's cause and effect? We don't know Apple's internal numbers, but we know their reaction to those numbers. 
    So in other words...no you don't have numbers to back up your FUD! Next!
    What FUD? You obviously have no idea what that means. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Aww.  And I was waiting for v2 to buy the gold one :(
  • Reply 28 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Being second only to Rolex tells me Apple didn't do too badly on that.
    ration alpscooter63nolamacguynetmagechia
  • Reply 29 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    timborama said:
    Aww.  And I was waiting for v2 to buy the gold one
    Go steel and get it plated.  Talking of gold, well finish if not plated, there doesn't seem to the Aluminum with gold finish anymore either, at least I couldn't find it using the new filter on the online store page.  Got to say I love the look of the ceramic with white band though and was thinking a great birthday present for my wife but boy is it a pricey bit of pottery!  lol
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 30 of 50
    sreesree Posts: 153member
    Its ok. Apple got the 'watch' right, but their bid to turn it into expensive jewelry was not as successful as they hoped, beyond the $1200 price point. It is fine to accept it and move on. Every move can't be an absolute success.

dasanman69
  • Reply 31 of 50
    I was a bit surprised by the price, seems to be a clear fashion move, but it's well within Apple's prerogative. As they kept saying with the gold/rose gold edition models, this (ceramic) model truly is 'the most beautiful expression of the Apple Watch.' I'm surprised Apple doesn't really seem to be promoting it as such. I already got the SS AW last year, so I'm not feeling too spendy (going to go with the Apple Series 2 Aluminum, probably the Nike version for the cool band to add to my collection). But if I feel like I do enough good in the world by this time next year, I'm definitely buying the ceramic Apple Watch.*

*I'm assuming that the ceramic design will stick around; it's the perfect expression of the Apple Watch: design-room white, Apple white, minimal, durable, hides scratches (if it gets any), and matches form and function of the other Apple Watches in an egalitarian fashion. Also, it's cleverly matched with the most comfortable, functional and aesthetically pleasing (fluoroelastomer) band, which is ever so slightly darkened, thus accentuating the pure whiteness of the watch body; and I like how the band color is pleasantly branded "Cloud."
  • Reply 32 of 50
    My guess is that they planned on bilking a section of the market, which they did. They probably made a boat load in China and in certain affluent parts of the world. But really I don't think anyone is going to upgrade their watch every year for several thousand when they can pay a few hundred. The rich can sometimes be stupid. But I think having a gold colour option probably made them a lot more money than the Gold Edition.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    stourque said:
    Several gold editions listed on eBay for around $1200.

The $1200 aren't authentic Edition watches. They are gold PLATED stainless steel. Actual Watch Editions are at least $4,899. 
    SpamSandwichnetmage
  • Reply 34 of 50
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 449member
    nealc5 said:
    I agree with georgecreedle that the gold models served their purpose to create buzz about the product.  They are now rare collectors items that will only increase in value.  I suspect this was Apple's plan all along.
    No, it wasn't Apple's plan.
    They'd have called it Limited Edition and announced its availability for only 12 months
  • Reply 35 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as an eventual collectors piece.
    Could you tell me what size the Li-ion battery in the Apple one is, its capacity and where you can currently buy a replacement?
    edited September 2016 singularity
  • Reply 36 of 50
    williamh said:
    cnocbui said:
    The Gold Apple Watch served it's purpose as a topic starter and by only selling it one year, they have cemented it as eventual collectors piece.
    We'll see but I don't think the gold watches will ever be very valuable.  It's not like it was one of the first watches or something.
    They are only half gold, given 50% by volume of the gold is a ceramic filler.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    No shock here, the Gold watch was a joke, a way for those with stupid cash to burn to say I have one and you don't. Now I don't mind the ceramic white, the price is fine as well, but really you get the shit sport band for $1299 for the 42MM, what are they smoking. I will simply get the Black Stainless Steel model, white would have been cool, but not for an extra $500.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    cnocbui said:
    The Apple I had a Li-ion battery? 
    No, the point was, it doesn't work, there's nothing to do with it other then look at it.  Same holds true with a edition watch in the future.
    patchythepiratenolamacguychia
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cnocbui said:
    cnocbui said:
    Could you tell me what size the Li-ion battery in the Apple one is, its capacity and where you can currently buy a replacement?

You got 6 likes?  Makes me  wonder if cool-aid consumption and dementia are correlated.
    Once again, your desperation makes me actually feel sorry for you. 

------------------------
    https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service

Battery service

If your battery has a manufacturing defect and it's covered by the Apple Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll service your Apple Watch at no additional cost.  

When your Apple Watch isn’t covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law and we find that it holds only 80 percent or less of its original battery capacity, we offer out-of-warranty battery service.

We might need to test your product to find the cause of your battery issue. Our warranty doesn’t cover batteries that wear down from normal use.

------------------------

So I guess he got 6 likes because he knows how to read. 

patchythepiratenolamacguynetmage
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Rayz2016 said:
    cnocbui said:
    cnocbui said:

You got 6 likes?  Makes me  wonder if cool-aid consumption and dementia are correlated.
    Once again, your desperation makes me actually feel sorry for you. 

------------------------
    https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service

Battery service

If your battery has a manufacturing defect and it's covered by the Apple Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll service your Apple Watch at no additional cost.  

When your Apple Watch isn’t covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law and we find that it holds only 80 percent or less of its original battery capacity, we offer out-of-warranty battery service.

We might need to test your product to find the cause of your battery issue. Our warranty doesn’t cover batteries that wear down from normal use.

------------------------

So I guess he got 6 likes because he knows how to read. 

What does that have to do with the original Apple computer?
    singularity