3rd-gen Apple TV departs Apple retail, remains at big-box stores

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Even though Apple didn't update last year's fourth generation Apple TV at Wednesday's "See You on Sept. 7" event, the three-year-old third generation Apple TV is being pulled from its store shelves -- but other big box retailers aren't doing the same, yet.

Besides just the store shelf removal, Apple has also purged the third generation Apple TV from its product page for the device family after Wednesday's "See You on Sept. 7" release event. The media player is still available from Apple's online sales portal, but only through Google searches, or by bookmarked link.

AppleInsider has learned that while the devices are being pulled off of the retail store's shelves, they are available for sale by request, until stock is depleted. No further shipments of the device are expected at the brick and mortar Apple stores.

Retailers Target and Best Buy have not as of yet received any orders to pull the device from sale, or reduce pricing to clear out inventory. Representatives from both locations have told us that stocks on the devices have been somewhat limited for the last three months, but never utterly depleted.

The third generation Apple TV was released in March 2012, and brought 1080p video to the device for the first time.

Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced the fourth generation Apple TV in the Sept. 2015 Apple release event, with the device shipping on Oct. 30, 2015. The fourth generation device retained 1080p video, but introduced apps to the set-top box, with Cook calling apps "the future of television."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    They are still selling through Apple Store. Here's the link http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-3rd-gen
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's just my opinion but I think it makes sense for Apple to wait to release the next Apple TV iteration until 4K is far more prevalent in the market place.  There is little they could add now other than 4K that software improvements can't cope with in the mean time.  I would imagine the way Apple is continuing to design their own amazing chips these days the next Apple TV could be a massive step forward.  I also wonder if Apple will ever use the Apple TV for something else too, perhaps a central hub for HomeKit for example and maybe even add features akin to Amazon's Echo and throw in a Wi-Tricity charging ability and while their at it ... a coffee maker?  B)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    What's a big box store?  Is that like Amazon?  I kid of course but I bet it won't be long before the younger generation read about them in history books.  I've already selected the spot for the Amazon homing beacon required for the drone drop offs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 39
    It's just my opinion but I think it makes sense for Apple to wait to release the next Apple TV iteration until 4K is far more prevalent in the market place.  There is little they could add now other than 4K that software improvements can't cope with in the mean time.  I would imagine the way Apple is continuing to design their own amazing chips these days the next Apple TV could be a massive step forward.  I also wonder if Apple will ever use the Apple TV for something else too, perhaps a central hub for HomeKit for example and maybe even add features akin to Amazon's Echo and throw in a Wi-Tricity charging ability and while their at it ... a coffee maker?  B)
    I'm pretty sure Apple shares the same opinion...they won't be updating AppleTV hardware again until 4k is ready. And by ready, I mean more people own 4k TV's than 1080p TV's. And content is more readily available in 4k.

And it won't be a huge leap forward, in any sense of adoption or popularity. The truth is, geeks like me are far more impressed with 4k video than the average person. Most people felt that 720p was fine, and didn't truly appreciate the benefits of moving to 1080p. The same is true for the move to 4k. This fact alone is why the adoption of 4k TV's and and 4k content is slow as molasses. Think about it...look at other products on the market, and the speed with which people upgrade expensive items like smartphones, tablets, computers, even cars. TV's on the other hand...get updated about as often as the couch. Why is that? Its not purely cost...all the other items I mentioned are on par or far exceeding. Its not purely the size and inconvenience of moving/selling/relocating old TVs. Its the plain fact that, if you have anything above a 720p TV....most people don't see anything wrong with it....they don't see anything glaringly in need of updates.

And just a footnote: AppleTV is already a HomeKit hub. And its not becoming an Echo. It has a Remote for issuing Voice commands. It is not an upgrade to the user experience to put a microphone on the Apple TV itself and yell at it from across the room.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 39
    I can't disagree with you guys more. You can't buy a tv that's not 4K for the most part. I'm not an exotic tv purchaser when it comes to the home. I work amongst monitors all day long in broadcast and post studios. I don't need the latest and greatest at home and even I have a 4K 50" recently purchased for less than $600. Disappointed that the only content I get in 4K is pretty much Netflix. I'll be honest for the price Apple charges for a sub par 1080 movie I'd prefer to be buying at least a sub par 4K movie. Blu Ray looks way, way better than HD movies. I think 4K is closer than you guys think. 
    edited September 2016 mike1roundaboutnowbigpics
  • Reply 6 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wanna see a true gaming machine. A8 was a joke. Hopefully they reveal a new Apple TV with A10x or something higher.

Remember this isn't something that needs to be thin as we're not carrying it with us. Look at the monstrosity the new PlayStation is and I bet more gamers will buy it anyway. Knowing Apples obsessiveness with thin technology, I know they can develop a powerful machine that's half the size of competitors.the 4th gen is too small to pack a powerful punch.

PS4 Pro:

Weak graphics 4th gen Apple TV 

Open the lightning port to 3rd parties for accessory support and do something with the damn Kinect team already!!!
    gtj333jony0
  • Reply 7 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    4K with 4K programming delivered through iTunes to rent or own as well as Netflix and other providers would spur me to upgrade my ATV3 immediately. Right now the quality is worse than the built-in apps on my 4K TV so I live with the clunky interface that's built in to my set.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I'll say this much about 4K...

Even at 1080p, I had to force lower bitrates via resolution settings on the ATV or settings on the services themselves to avoid blasting past my ISP's monthly usage allowance. I'm sure I'm not alone here as many providers have moved to monthly allowances.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I can't disagree with you guys more. You can't buy a tv that's not 4K for the most part. I'm not an exotic tv purchaser when it comes to the home. I work amongst monitors all day long in broadcast and post studios. I don't need the latest and greatest at home and even I have a 4K 50" recently purchased for less than $600. Disappointed that the only content I get in 4K is pretty much Netflix. I'll be honest for the price Apple charges for a sub par 1080 movie I'd prefer to be buying at least a sub par 4K movie. Blu Ray looks way, way better than HD movies. I think 4K is closer than you guys think. 

I forgot to mention this. I believe Apple will not release a 4K Apple TV until they offer 4K iTunes content. They'll most likely launch same day.

It seems strange that Apple doesn't have content higher than 1080p. Do they not believe 4K is the future? Will they release 5k iTunes content for Macs that down convert to 4K for TVs?

Some people own hundreds of movies/shows and I own thousands of dollars in content. Will we get a discount for upgrading from HD to 4K?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What's a big box store?  Is that like Amazon?  I kid of course but I bet it won't be long before the younger generation read about them in history books.  I've already selected the spot for the Amazon homing beacon required for the drone drop offs.
    They're the non-Amazon affiliated  showrooms. 
  • Reply 11 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cali said:

I forgot to mention this. I believe Apple will not release a 4K Apple TV until they offer 4K iTunes content. They'll most likely launch same day.

It seems strange that Apple doesn't have content higher than 1080p. Do they not believe 4K is the future? Will they release 5k iTunes content for Macs that down convert to 4K for TVs?

Some people own hundreds of movies/shows and I own thousands of dollars in content. Will we get a discount for upgrading from HD to 4K?
    Not strange. 4K has just started. The majority of users don't have 4K tvs yet. Besides what are the size of those files. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 39
    zroger73 said:

Even at 1080p, I had to force lower bitrates via resolution settings on the ATV or settings on the services themselves to avoid blasting past my ISP's monthly usage allowance. I'm sure I'm not alone here as many providers have moved to monthly allowances.
    its much better when you have unlimited downloads. You dont have to worry about messing about with bitrates just download/stream to your hearts content

williamlondoncali
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Are you kidding? Go to Best Buy, they have an isle full of 720/1080 TV's.
    williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 39
    zroger73 said:

its much better when you have unlimited downloads. You dont have to worry about messing about with bitrates just download/stream to your hearts content

A few months ago, I "upgraded" to an unlimited plan after my ISP began offering such as an upgrade to the limited plans, which were unlimited until a few years ago when they implemented a monthly allowance. It went something like this:

2012 15 Mbps unlimited for $XX.XX
    2013 allowances were implemented with no change in price - speed increased to 50 Mbps so you could exceed your allowance more quickly
    2016 unlimited returned, but only by paying for a faster, 100 Mbps tier

So, I'm now paying considerably more to have unlimited usage. I see no personal benefit to the speed increase form 15 to 100 Mbps. Even 15 Mbps is faster than what i need. I stream, browse, and download music - all of which worked perfectly at the slower speeds. Instead of paying for a faster connection just to get unlimited, I'm much rather have downgraded my speed in exchange for unlimited usage, but it doesn't work that way. :)
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Other companies are rolling out 4K capable hardware now. No reason Apple can't launch the Fifth Gen TV at the March event next year. 
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 39
    zroger73 said:
    zroger73 said:

A few months ago, I "upgraded" to an unlimited plan after my ISP began offering such as an upgrade to the limited plans, which were unlimited until a few years ago when they implemented a monthly allowance. It went something like this:

2012 15 Mbps unlimited for $XX.XX
    2013 allowances were implemented with no change in price - speed increased to 50 Mbps so you could exceed your allowance more quickly
    2016 unlimited returned, but only by paying for a faster, 100 Mbps tier

So, I'm now paying considerably more to have unlimited usage. I see no personal benefit to the speed increase form 15 to 100 Mbps. Even 15 Mbps is faster than what i need. I stream, browse, and download music - all of which worked perfectly at the slower speeds. Instead of paying for a faster connection just to get unlimited, I'm much rather have downgraded my speed in exchange for unlimited usage, but it doesn't work that way. :)
    When my provider gave a free upgrade to 50Mbps and unlimited I took it. Since then its gone to 100Mbps then for a small increase in cost to 150Mbps all still unlimited. I passed on the " gaming" offer as I dont need a doubling of upstream speed. They appear to be managing those who upload a lot rather than download.
    It serves my wifes and I's needs. She gets to stream and I get to game at the same time and this month theres a big push on 4k sports and other content so a new tv might be in order.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Will we be able to use our AirPods with the existing ATV?  Hmm... 
    stompynolamacguylibertyforallcali
  • Reply 18 of 39
    ffs, are we still on the 4K issue? It won't happen until there is an adequate supply of 4K content to fill the iTunes Store, same as they did with HD content, exactly the same (does no one remember?). As for not being able to buy anything non-4K, that's not true, I just bought a new television, 1080p, great set with great picture, didn't want to waste money on 4K when there isn't enough content to take advantage of it. As for bandwidth, I've got very fast, unlimited internet, but I'm lucky because I live in London with great options, the rest of the world, not the same, and the poor Americans with the shit choices they have, I feel so sorry for what many there have to deal with regarding speeds and costs and options.

Enough of this 4K thing, when it happens it'll happen, but it's not ready yet and the vast majority of people are fine with that, and since Apple can't make the studios offer *all* their current and old content in 4K PLUS make the ISPs offer faster, unlimited bandwidth, it's not likely to happen for some time. Not Apple's fault, stop your fucking whining and unreasonable expectations.

I love my ATV4, just as I loved all previous versions of the ATV. It's true I'm still waiting and hoping we'll see some better offerings for games, especially now they've dropped the requirement to support the Siri Remote, that could possibly boost games developers to do something. Exciting the new A10 chip and yesterday's comment about console level gaming on the iPhone, perhaps next year we'll get a new ATV with either this A10 or a new A11 late next year with even better graphics capabilities, that box will definitely be more games ready than this one already is, but I wouldn't expect an update till end of next year earliest, no reason at this point, not until the hardware holds up usage, and right now usage hasn't even begun to tap the potential of the hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Now that I think about it, I did buy my TV at the same time as my last couch. Meaning I've actually replaced my couch faster! Still not planning on "upgrading" the TV anytime soon. I enjoy gadgets and tech as much as anybody, but I got a top of the line 1080p / 240hz / local dimming / smart / bells and whistles TV when it came out, and I still like it. But I see it almost like an appliance. How often do I upgrade my espresso maker? Is the coffee still delicious? But really, with the TV, I never use any of the Smart features of it. I use boxes like AppleTV for that. It's just a dumb monitor, and a new one would just give me more pixels and maybe deeper blacks. I'd really have to see them side by side to want it I think.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 39
    cali said:
    I wanna see a true gaming machine. A8 was a joke. Hopefully they reveal a new Apple TV with A10x or something higher.

Remember this isn't something that needs to be thin as we're not carrying it with us. Look at the monstrosity the new PlayStation is and I bet more gamers will buy it anyway. Knowing Apples obsessiveness with thin technology, I know they can develop a powerful machine that's half the size of competitors.the 4th gen is too small to pack a powerful punch.

PS4 Pro:

Weak graphics 4th gen Apple TV 

Open the lightning port to 3rd parties for accessory support and do something with the damn Kinect team already!!!
    I think Cali is right.... ATV could use the A10x - the A8 was sluggish last year. While the TV buying cycle is longer than phones, I think some people would be ready to buy it  - the ATV 4th gen missed the mark because it was underpowered. When they announced Mario Run yesterday for iPhone, it seems really odd that it was not announced for ATV (yes I know they sell their own hardware). If Apple does an October event, and refreshes Macs, I would hope to see an updated ATV with A10x with Mario Run on that platform. By discontinuing the 3rd generation ATV now, they leave room for 4th generation ATV at a lower price after the October event. 
    libertyforallcali