Everything you need to know before preordering Apple's iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 Plus on Friday,...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    clint said:
    Actually you can charge and listen to music at the same time. You can either listen with the stereo speakers of the new iPhone, or you can listen to it wirelessly with headphones or speakers. 
    Yes, you can, however:

FTA: "if you wanted to use a wired 2.5mm jack sound output through the included Lighting to headphone dongle and charge your iPhone at the same time, you're out of luck -- at least for now."
    Couldn't a 1-male-lightning-to-2-female-lighting adapter solve this problem? If so, isn't it only a matter of time before Apple (or someone else) introduces such accessory?
  • Reply 22 of 47
     I could excuse these things as just random uses of language if I wasn't fully aware of the intention and tone behind such comments. I really don't appreciate any of this tone-setting narrative. If you have an opinion, write an op-ed that people can selectively ignore.
    The thing is, you're really not aware. If you re-read the article, you'll see where I'll say something like "the X is still Y, but is better because of Z." There's no tone-setting narrative here, no matter how much you may believe it to be so.

I like Force Touch in all its incarnations, and they literally can't get much more old-school Apple user than me. I'm also aware of a number of people that don't, and I pointed out their commonality in the article. Who cares? They do.
    they don't represent a significant portion of the population of Mac users whatsoever. you're trying too hard to appear fair & balanced without cause. 
  • Reply 23 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    All I need to know is how much I have left in my credit card. fck the information. Give me 128GB Jet Black 7+ and take my money.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Has anyone tried out the Apple 24-month plan? Can one sign up beforehand? Or is it possible to do only during the process of pre-ordering, which takes extra time, risking losing those precious additional minutes/seconds and thus increasing the likelihood that the color/size/storage you want runs out?

I recall that I ended up paying for my 6s outright for that reason, but it seems silly to leave the time value of money on the table.... (I know I can always do the ATT installment plan, but that does not allow for an unlocked phone). 
    Yeah...fck ATT, get the unlocked phone which later can be sold for better price on Craigslist. 
  • Reply 25 of 47
    tzeshan said:
    I really like Apple put the dual camera into an iPhone 7 sized phone.  The Plus model is really awkward  to carry around.  
    Won't happen anytime soon...At least 2 years away. You see the OIS in 6+? It's now available in 7...yep after 2 years. I expect Apple to release the GLOSSY WHITE 7S version of the phone next year. That will be another huge hit.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Anecdotally not apocryphally
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Sorry Mike
    TurboPGT said:
    unicron said:
    So where's the information about... oh you know... pre-ordering?? (Silly me to think the headline would indicate what the story was about)
     Nope it was mostly an excuse for Mike to write some ridiculous gripe about force touch, and throw one last jab out there at the external dimensions being vaguely similar to the iPhone 6. 
    You literally have no idea how I feel about Force Touch. When we get more information about details, like Kaiser35 is looking for, we'll update accordingly.
    Sorry Mike. I didn't mean to come down so hard. Huge fan. I'm just so excited about the iPhone 7 and I'm hoping being on the Apple Upgrade Program doesn't trip me up with what I'm expecting to be a pretty high-demand launch. I'm a little worried that there hasn't been any details about how to trade up with the program so far.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    which one will be the unlocked / sim free model? theres two models. one with gsm and cdma for sprint and verizon and one with gsm and no cdma for AT&T and T-mobile
    so i guess regardless who your carrier is, we should buy the verizon one full price?

• Reply 29 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Kaiser35 said:
    Sorry Mike
    Sorry Mike. I didn't mean to come down so hard. Huge fan. I'm just so excited about the iPhone 7 and I'm hoping being on the Apple Upgrade Program doesn't trip me up with what I'm expecting to be a pretty high-demand launch. I'm a little worried that there hasn't been any details about how to trade up with the program so far.
    Utterly no need to apologize. We're hoping to have more information today.
  • Reply 30 of 47

fulwild said:
    Anecdotally not apocryphally
    Apocryphally is the word I wanted to use. While the people I've spoken to about it do decry the change, and make claims of "lots of us," that's hard to verify, and of only little more value than one person saying "in my experience" to refute something with a body of evidence.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Maybe the article should have been titled pro-cons of buying the new iPhone.  

...Apocryphally, some long-time Mac users haven't cared for the lack of a tangible, mechanical click in the Force Touch trackpad on Apple Portables — this crowd will likely not be swayed by the new home button either...

Where is this imaginary crowd that won't be swayed by the new home button?  Having had the Macbook since it came out, the force touch trackpad is definitely one of the positives for me in the sense that I don't really detect any difference and it's been lauded by most.  

Con: headphone jack

I think it's a long term positive in the same way Apple dispensed with CD/DVD drives and I'll continue to enjoy using my wireless Bose QC35 headphones and we'll see how the new Apple earbuds are.  

Con: pricing

I suppose I could see why you might call it a con but they don't offer a cheaper 16 GB version and you gave them a pro for that.   The fact is one could give a price 'con' for every Apple device, esp. if one is the standard Apple critic.  

Con: jet black finish is prone to scuffing and scratching

That's not what Apple said yet the pundits pounced; what Apple said was, "Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use."  Ergo, they are all prone to scuffing and scratching but will be noticeable on that model due to it's high shine.  I would think Apple highlighting the fact would earn them a kudo for honesty but no good deed goes unpunished.  

tmay
  • Reply 32 of 47
    I for one Im tired of upgrading every year since 2008, Ill stick with the 64 6S plus for now. I might have been tempted to upgrade if the 7 actually had 4gb of ram. 
    The Jet-black is disgusting, looks like is made for truckers and bikers..  
  • Reply 33 of 47
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    "Nothing has changed about the iPhone SE, including the four-inch screen. While some find that suitable, others more used to larger screen sizes may chafe at the limit." How about noting the crowd that "chafed" at NOT having a 4" state of the art option previously?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    In a break from past releases Apple will not be announcing opening weekend sales for the new iPhone, citing "logistical reasons"
  • Reply 35 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
     I could excuse these things as just random uses of language if I wasn't fully aware of the intention and tone behind such comments. I really don't appreciate any of this tone-setting narrative. If you have an opinion, write an op-ed that people can selectively ignore.
    The thing is, you're really not aware. If you re-read the article, you'll see where I'll say something like "the X is still Y, but is better because of Z." There's no tone-setting narrative here, no matter how much you may believe it to be so.

I like Force Touch in all its incarnations, and they literally can't get much more old-school Apple user than me. I'm also aware of a number of people that don't, and I pointed out their commonality in the article. Who cares? They do.
    You really need to learn journalism skills and how to anticipate questions of an article that you post. 

First off, you stated in your "Touch Disease" article that you were still collection data on "Touch Disease" because it was a big deal; now, nothing but crickets. That hurt your credibility with me, one of those who believed it was a bullshit meme.

Now you have another article that is both premature and poorly written, and you are trying to mitigate that by responding to individual posters. You need to rethink that strategy.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 36 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    In a break from past releases Apple will not be announcing opening weekend sales for the new iPhone, citing "logistical reasons"
    I don't know if it is entirely logistical reasons, or if any at all, but I would have stopped the practice a long time ago when the benefits were muted by the media second guessing the result.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    markbyrn said:
    Maybe the article should have been titled pro-cons of buying the new iPhone.  

...Apocryphally, some long-time Mac users haven't cared for the lack of a tangible, mechanical click in the Force Touch trackpad on Apple Portables — this crowd will likely not be swayed by the new home button either...

Where is this imaginary crowd that won't be swayed by the new home button?  Having had the Macbook since it came out, the force touch trackpad is definitely one of the positives for me in the sense that I don't really detect any difference and it's been lauded by most.  

Con: headphone jack

I think it's a long term positive in the same way Apple dispensed with CD/DVD drives and I'll continue to enjoy using my wireless Bose QC35 headphones and we'll see how the new Apple earbuds are.  

Con: pricing

I suppose I could see why you might call it a con but they don't offer a cheaper 16 GB version and you gave them a pro for that.   The fact is one could give a price 'con' for every Apple device, esp. if one is the standard Apple critic.  

Con: jet black finish is prone to scuffing and scratching

That's not what Apple said yet the pundits pounced; what Apple said was, "Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use."  Ergo, they are all prone to scuffing and scratching but will be noticeable on that model due to it's high shine.  I would think Apple highlighting the fact would earn them a kudo for honesty but no good deed goes unpunished.  

Good comments.

Maybe you should be writing this article.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    tmay said:

You really need to learn journalism skills and how to anticipate questions of an article that you post. 

First off, you stated in your "Touch Disease" article that you were still collection data on "Touch Disease" because it was a big deal; now, nothing but crickets. That hurt your credibility with me, one of those who believed it was a bullshit meme.

Now you have another article that is both premature and poorly written, and you are trying to mitigate that by responding to individual posters. You need to rethink that strategy.
    We're still collecting data on Touch Disease, and it remains a big deal. You're welcome to have your thoughts on the matter, unrelated to the facts at hand. However, we don't have unlimited manpower or infinite time to cover everything, all the time.

Regarding everything else, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't need to do anything, and I will continue to respond as I see fit.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 47
    tmay said:

We're still collecting data on Touch Disease, and it remains a big deal. You're welcome to have your thoughts on the matter, unrelated to the facts at hand. However, we don't have unlimited manpower or infinite time to cover everything, all the time.

Regarding everything else, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't need to do anything, and I will continue to respond as I see fit.
    You should do what you like, as will I.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Apparently (I've been checking around on Apple's website) you can no longer use the Apple Upgrade program to purchase the 6s series: seems to be available only for the 7.