Belkin announces simultaneous Lightning headphone and charging adapter for iPhone 7

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
The elimination of the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack on the iPhone 7 has caused some users to question how they will charge their handset while listening to music on wired headphones. Accessory maker Belkin has the answer --?for $40 extra.

Belkin's new $39.95 Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus was "developed closely with Apple," the company said on Thursday. It features a single male Lightning plug on one end, and two female Lightning ports on the other.

Either Lightning port will work with Lightning-connected headphones. And users will also be able to use Apple's official Lightning to 3.5-millimeter headphone adapter for use with legacy ports. It works with any Lightning device running iOS 10 or later.

The accessory supports one Lightning audio device and one charger at a time. it's set to launch Oct. 10 on Belkin's website, as well as Apple's online and retail stores.

Features of the dongle include:

• Dual functionality so users can listen to Lightning Audio and charge at the same time
  • Compatible with Lightning Audio headphones? and Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
  • Supports pass-through charging up to 12W for iPhone and iPad
  • Supports up to 48 kHz, 24-bit audio output
  • Works with the Apple iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case and battery packs for on the go charging

"We're excited to offer the Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar to our customers, extending our family of RockStar multi-port products and creating an easy way for people to charge and listen on the go," says Steve Malony, VP, GM Belkin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    baconstangZooMigosrice
  • Reply 2 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This is a complete fail. Apple needs to offer something as simple as a pass through connector on the Lightning cable included in the box.

In either event, I wouldn't buy this until we see an unboxing to know what Apple has included.

Can two Lightning headphones plug into this and use it to share audio? What happens if someone tries that?

edited September 2016 rogifan_newbloggerblogbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 92
    So, to charge the phone and use the lightning for a line out, requires two adaptor/dongles?
    How elegant!
    rogifan_newbloggerblog
  • Reply 4 of 92
    This would be a good solution at half the size and half the price. Better than nothing though.
    bigpicsfrankieewtheckman
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Seems like they should have a model that builds the 3.5mm dongle into it at least... At $40 it seems better to just buy the Apple dock for $50, you can plug your headphones into it and charge at the same time. At least for my use case(desk at work) that would be best.
    baconstangwelshdog
  • Reply 6 of 92
    jasonfj said:
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    Worse than that it is 'fugly'.
    That has to be the worst packaging choice ever made. All they did was use existing moulds for MacBook display dongles.
    As this use case is very different, the shape will just get in the way BIG TIME.

Sorry Belkin, nice try but Nul Points.

• Reply 7 of 92
    mac_128 said:
    Can two Lightning headphones plug into this and use it to share audio? What happens if someone tries that?

Paragraph 4:  "The accessory supports one Lightning audio device and one charger at a time."
  • Reply 8 of 92
    So, why not a compact Y-adapter? Why not an low-profile Lightning pass-through & 1/8" adapter? Why not something much smaller and less of a kluge?
    baconstangbigpicstallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Will case companies make a case that includes a second Lightning adapter and maybe and 1/8" plug both?
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 92
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Good a lot of people were bi**hing that they wouldn't buy an iPhone 7 because of this problem. 
    lkruppnolamacguystevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 92
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Surely it would be better to have just the lightning connector coming out of the unit, rather than on the end of that short cable. The cable will cause it to awkwardly hang off the bottom of the phone.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    How about lightening plug at one end and earpod/earphone other end so you can plug earpiece directly into the lightening port of iphone 7 like 3.5 plug in earlier version. Understandable that Apple won't do this because Apple wants us to grow-up into using wireless pods future..
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 13 of 92
    This is for Charging + Listening. It's not like you're going to be carrying it around with you while it hangs off of your iPhone. It will be stationed on a desk somewhere. I see this as a non-issue. People just love to complain. I wish they would remember that Apple just unleashed the best mobile phone to the market, yet again! 
    wdowelljbishop1039williamlondonjfc1138boopthesnootspliff monkeynolamacguystevehequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 92
    So, to charge the phone and use the lightning for a line out, requires two adaptor/dongles?
    How elegant!
    Considering the experience it replicates is still tethering your head to the wall like some kind of mental patient, I don't think it makes any difference.
    jbishop1039jfc1138nolamacguystevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 92
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Actually, I think two ports integrated into a case might be more elegant for people who need to charge while using audio out.
    edited September 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 92
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    wood1208 said:
    How about lightening plug at one end and earpod/earphone other end so you can plug earpiece directly into the lightening port of iphone 7 like 3.5 plug in earlier version. Understandable that Apple won't do this because Apple wants us to grow-up into using wireless pods future..
    I'm sure some company plans exactly that! It's called choices. This is just the first of many to come out.  If there a market for it, someone will make it.
    wdowellwilliamlondonspliff monkeynolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 92
    jasonfj said:
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    This is Cook's Apple: dongles and adapters.
    dasanman69baconstangsingularity
  • Reply 18 of 92
    cali said:
    Good a lot of people were bi**hing that they wouldn't buy an iPhone 7 because of this problem. 
    Unfortunately, see above. People are still bitching!
    williamlondonnolamacguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Frankly, given what they're faced with, i think Belkin (and lets not forget they worked with Apple on this too..) have done a good job. It'll work just fine for me as i go to bed listening to podcasts, and will use the lightening headphones provided in the box. So Ill never take the adapter with me, it's just so i can charge my phone at night and can fall asleep listening to the podcast without waking up to a flat battery the next AM.

They should also do a version for those using the analogue audio connector (I bet they or others will - its a sellers market here!), but given that apple provides the lightening ones in the box, I think it's fait this existss too. 
    williamlondonsteveh
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Belkin better be extremely appreciative of Apple cause they are laughing all the way to the bank!
    baconstang