Watch: Hands-on with Apple's AirPods wireless headphones

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The future will be wireless. At least, that's what Apple's hoping to be the case, after the company not only ditched the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, but also unveiled a new pair of completely wireless earbuds called AirPods. AppleInsider offers a closer look with this hands-on video.
You can read more about AirPods or catch more videos like this, subscribe to the official AppleInsider channel on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Would have been nice to mention the case has a battery in it, and charging the AirPods in the case for 15 minutes gives you 3 more hours of listening. And, that can be done many times on one charge of the case (for up to 24 hours of listening). Can't wait to get my hands on these things...
    mobiusTurboPGTlondorrezwitslordjohnwhorfinslprescottnolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29

How do they sound compared to:
    • wired Lightening pods?
    • BT wireless Pods?
    • wired Lightening headsets?
    • BT Wireless headsets?
    • anything?

mike1rezwitsgreenie123baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Turns out they're AAC with Apple devices. So they should sound pretty good. Why Phil didn't focus on that in the keynote I have no idea. 
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I don't think you understand what "Hands-on" means
    rezwitsboxcatcherhexclockslprescottnolamacguygreenie123
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Ok, I saw how you double tap for Siri, but how to you change the volume, start/stop, etc., without the wired mic/volume control on the current EarPods?
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

"We believe in a wireless future."
    - Jony Ive, Apple Chief Design Officer (AirPods design video)

Any questions?

• Reply 7 of 29
    Because it uses SIrI the phone has to have internet access. Not ideal if you're up a mountain or something, but hey, i guess the fall back is controlling the phone directly. When will Apple have simple commands offline?! They had Voice Control for things like this on the iPhone 3GS no!? Above all my concern is that they'll fall out or ill lose one :(
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Looks nice but I'll stick with my Bluetooth Jaybird X2 as they are pretty fantastic. 
    lordjohnwhorfinslprescottfreshmakerwiggin
  • Reply 9 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    wdowell said:
    Because it uses SIrI the phone has to have internet access. Not ideal if you're up a mountain or something, but hey, i guess the fall back is controlling the phone directly. When will Apple have simple commands offline?! They had Voice Control for things like this on the iPhone 3GS no!? Above all my concern is that they'll fall out or ill lose one :(
    Many years ago, I used to use Croakies to keep my sunglasses retained. These were made out of the neoprene and fabric materials that was used in scuba diving suits. Something like those would work as a retainer for the AirPods.

https://croakies.com/retainers/sport-retainers/croakies-and-xl/
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wdowell said:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ndiblasio/status/773615094282399744
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mac_128 said:
    Turns out they're AAC with Apple devices. So they should sound pretty good. Why Phil didn't focus on that in the keynote I have no idea. 
    That's not really any indication of how they will actually sound.
    baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tmay said:
    wdowell said:
    Because it uses SIrI the phone has to have internet access. Not ideal if you're up a mountain or something, but hey, i guess the fall back is controlling the phone directly. When will Apple have simple commands offline?! They had Voice Control for things like this on the iPhone 3GS no!? Above all my concern is that they'll fall out or ill lose one
    Many years ago, I used to use Croakies to keep my sunglasses retained. These were made out of the neoprene and fabric materials that was used in scuba diving suits. Something like those would work as a retainer for the AirPods.

https://croakies.com/retainers/sport-retainers/croakies-and-xl/
    Are you aware that there are microphones at the tips of the Airpods? If you were to use Croakies as I am imagining, the microphones would become useless.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 29
    they should have put GPS into these things instead of the Apple Watch, so you can easily find them when they keep falling out :-) Definitely the most "hands off", HandsOn Video i have ever seen, though
    freshmakerbaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Would have to keep putting them on, taking them off because of the case. :(
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Looks nice but I'll stick with my Bluetooth Jaybird X2 as they are pretty fantastic. 
    No argument from me here. Amazing sound and 8 hour playback time, the X2 pretty much hits the sweet spot. Although, for everyday use I find the LG HB-900 to be my go-tos because of their amazing battery life and close to perfect neckband design with rewinders, but the X2s are some of the best sounding bluetooth headphones I've ever used.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Apple says that the AirPods automatically "pause" when removed from the ear. Does anyone know if it pauses playback on the device to which the AirPods are connected (i.e. the iPhone or iPad), or does it just shut off power to the AirPod while the device keeps playing?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    I don't think you understand what "Hands-on" means
    Agreed. Tell us something the keynote didn't. All the AI "hands-on" articles leave something to be desired. Not sure why I bother reading them.  
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Looks too much like mini dog bones,  my dog is gonna chew it up.  
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Apple says that the AirPods automatically "pause" when removed from the ear. Does anyone know if it pauses playback on the device to which the AirPods are connected (i.e. the iPhone or iPad), or does it just shut off power to the AirPod while the device keeps playing?
    I assume it's on the device so that the device then tells the other ear to stop playing.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Hummm. So where's the "hands on" part. I mean some dude was shown accidentally wearing them LOL but how about... oh I don't know... how they sound?  How they feel?  Did they sound better or the sane as the current plugged in models. You know... an actual review. I mean why write "hands on with..." if you're not going to say anything about them?

maybe I'm just to demanding. 
    LOL 
    edited September 2016 [Deleted User]wozwozbaconstang