Apple Pay to launch in Japan, New Zealand and Russia this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Somewhat overshadowed by Wednesday's big iPhone and Apple Watch product announcements, Apple announced its fledgling payments service, Apple Pay, is set to expand into Japan, New Zealand and Russian later this year.

Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller detailed Apple Pay's Japanese launch onstage, noting iPhone 7, 7 Plus and Apple Watch Series 2 hardware will all be compatible with Japan's FeliCa NFC technology when they debut next week. The announcement confirms reports surrounding an impending entry into the Asian market earlier this month.

Specifically, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and Apple Watch Series 2 models sold in Japan will support FeliCa Type-F NFC contactless technology, Apple said. While a number of tap-to-pay services rely on FeliCa technology, Apple is touting initial integration with Suica transit cards from JR East. With Japanese transit data set to go live in iOS 10, commuters can use iPhone to plan and pay for their entire ride, as well as buy products from retail locations where Suica, iD or QUICPay are accepted, the company said.

"We are incredibly excited to bring iPhone 7 to customers in Japan so they can experience the magic of Apple Pay," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "Apple Pay will transform your daily routine, from making your commute easier and more convenient than ever with Suica right on your iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2, to using your favorite cards to make secure and private purchases with a single touch."

As noted by regional blog Ata Distance, JR East is planning to release a standalone Suica app for card management and recharging. The app will supposedly generate a virtual Suica card which links to credit and debit cards provisioned through Apple Pay.

In Japan, Apple Pay is anticipated to debut in October with support for most Japanese credit and prepaid card brands, including those offered by AEON, Credit Saison, JCB, Mitsubishi UFJ Nicos, Orient Corporation, Sumitomo Mitsui Card, Toyota Finance, UC Cards and View Card. Cellular carriers KDDI, NTT Docomo and Softbank are also included in the list of supported issuers. Apple's online Apple Pay variant will go live at the same time.

Apple Pay is also expected to launch in New Zealand sometime this fall. A report from Stuff pegs a start of services in October through a partnership with ANZ, which in April became the first of Australia's big four banks to adopt Apple Pay.

"Our customers in the nine markets around the world where Apple Pay is live today love how convenient it makes their day-to-day shopping, and we can't wait to bring Apple Pay to New Zealand so customers there can start making easy, secure and private payments in their favorite stores, apps and on the web," said Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey.

Apple is slated to activate Apple Pay services in Russia as well, though a firm launch timeline has not been announced.

After launching domestically in 2014, Apple Pay has expanded to cover nine markets including Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    It would be good to know about Apple's plans for Europe.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    dachar said:
    I read that prices for the new iPhone have been raised in Europe, and rightly so.

That's exactly what I wrote that Apple should do last week, and it's good to see that Apple is thinking along the same lines.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 3 of 20
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Belated applause from kiwis
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 20
    robm said:
    Belated applause from kiwis
    Yes, especially from the ANZ Bank.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    apple ][ said:
    dachar said:
    I read that prices for the new iPhone have been raised in Europe, and rightly so.

That's exactly what I wrote that Apple should do last week, and it's good to see that Apple is thinking along the same lines.
    That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Yes, prices are up 20 €. 
  • Reply 6 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    MacBAir said:
    Somebody's gotta pay for that 14.5 Billion EU tax I suppose.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    apple ][ said:
    MacBAir said:
    Yes, and it's going to be Apple.
    singularityMacBAir
  • Reply 8 of 20
    apple ][ said:
    MacBAir said:
    Yes, and it will be Apple. It's not like the fine is unfair, or unjustified. It also wont affect Apple one bit, specially since their new iPhones are amazing.
    So I don't get your point.

It's as if some of you think that you have this "personal" relation and feelings with this corporations, and will defend it anywhere, from everything, no matter what.
    I saw this before the big screens. I saw this before making their iPhones waterproof. I saw it before changing storage to modern levels. You name it.

It seems absurd to me.

I agree that legislation must be changed, too.
    singularity
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Yes! Kia ora, ANZ. Can't wait. 
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I had to cancel my 40 year old bank account at Westpac, after hearing 3 of the big 4 have banded together to balk Apple Pay. 

Very happy with Apple Pay at ANZ. Kiwis will be too. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 20
    If ANZ offered a modest signing bonus and a help hotline transferring business from its competitors, it would pull in even more new customers who want Apple Pay. 
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 20
    This news had me in a good mood all day yesterday. I expect it will arrive end of October rather than early to mid.
    Still, I'm really looking forward to ApplePay. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Excellent although I'm not changing banks just to get Apple Pay. I doubt the other banks except maybe Co-Operative Bank (my bank) and TSB would accept it considering they're run by the other big banks in Australia
  • Reply 14 of 20
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    dachar said:
    Apple Pay is in France, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, which are three countries in Europe Undoubtedly the rest will follow when all parties are ready.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cnocbui said:
    apple ][ said:
    MacBAir said:
    No matter how you slice it, it's going to be the EU citizens.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

lostkiwi said:
    This news had me in a good mood all day yesterday. I expect it will arrive end of October rather than early to mid.
    Still, I'm really looking forward to ApplePay. 
    It's amazing. I can't wait until it's so ubiquitous that carrying a wallet with plastic cards becomes outmoded.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Yes! Thanks ANZ that's my justification for a Watch.
    I wonder if ANZ will see a boost in new customers from this.
    fearlesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mcdave said:
    Yes! Thanks ANZ that's my justification for a Watch.
    I wonder if ANZ will see a boost in new customers from this.
    In Australia ANZ reported an uptick of 20% of new credit card applications within a month of their announcement of Apple Pay support. I was one of them.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    cnocbui said:
    apple ][ said:
    MacBAir said:
    cnocbui said:
    apple ][ said:
    MacBAir said:
    All taxes end up being paid by the end user of the product. Don't let those govt folks fool you. They think we should go after those rich corporations. Funny, but the consume pays the bills in the cost of goods and services.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    When apple pay accessible in Slowenia?