Belkin announces simultaneous Lightning headphone and charging adapter for iPhone 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Can two Lightning headphones plug into this and use it to share audio? What happens if someone tries that?

Paragraph 4:  "The accessory supports one Lightning audio device and one charger at a time."
    I was hoping I'd misunderstood that. Apple has totally bungled this. They take away a universally used jack, and don't provide the same functionality with the replacement? 

Many people share an audio feed. Two kids in the backseat watching a movie together on Mom's iPhone for instance. Hopefully there will be an adapter/splitter that supports that, without being dedicated to one function or the other. Ditto for the AirPods. Can two sets of BT headphones join the same audio program at once? If not, then wireless does not replace wires, quality notwithstanding.

As far as the kludgy-looking adapter, Apple already offers something much simpler on it's external battery pack. All they needed to do was take what they already have and reduce it to charging cable, and put it in the box -- like this:

baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 92
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    mac_128 said:
    This is a complete fail. Apple needs to offer something as simple as a pass through connector on the Lightning cable included in the box.

In either event, I wouldn't buy this until we see an unboxing to know what Apple has included.

Can two Lightning headphones plug into this and use it to share audio? What happens if someone tries that?

In theory you could build hardware to mirror the data and create a second output only stream, but I'm thinking this wouldn't be all that marketable.

It would probably be easier to sync playlists of multiple iPhones but the playlists would have to be identical. I'd think that this would be a nice feature for Apple Music users.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,258member
    I don't care what the damn thing looks like, if it works. I have a whole drawer full of audio splitters and adapters collected over the years, and I never cared what they looked like as long as they performed as I needed them to. 
    williamlondonnolamacguystevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 92
    So, let's get this straight, people were asking for a passthrough so they could listen to music while charging because that would solve the issue. Then, when a company releases one, it's not good enough because it's not pretty enough? I swear it could have been the best thing ever and it'd probably still be the wrong color or something. You're tethered to a power outlet, who cares what the adapter looks like! How on earth do some people make it through the day anymore?
    williamlondonRayz2016anantksundarambrucemcnolamacguystevehwatto_cobraflaneurSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 25 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    packfan73 said:
    Seems like they should have a model that builds the 3.5mm dongle into it at least... At $40 it seems better to just buy the Apple dock for $50, you can plug your headphones into it and charge at the same time. At least for my use case(desk at work) that would be best.
    I was surprised they didn't offer both. If one just wants the extra port for charging, then there is an option that has a micro-USB and 3.5mm ports on one end and Lightning male plug on the other, but this may only be available in Japan at the moment. Regardless, this is a minimal problem that only affects a few loud crybabies and will have a plethora of options to choose from in short order.
    roundaboutnowanantksundaramnolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let’s get something straight. Those who have a big hard on for what Apple did with the headphone jack will not be satisfied by anything, EVER. Somebody could come up the most elegant solution and charge only $1.99 for it and this crowd would snicker and trash it. To that ilk I say, it’s a done deal. It’s over. Apple did it. Deal with it. All the bitching and whining won’t change a thing. There’s no going back. So if you want to pray to whatever deity you believe in that iPhone 7 sales tank, that Apple relents, that the company goes bankrupt, that Steve is resurrected go right ahead. It will change nothing. The headphone jack is gone for good. And Apple wasn’t even the first to do it. Some Android phones shipped a year ago without the headphone jack.
    edited September 2016 jbishop1039williamlondonbrucemcwaverboynolamacguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 27 of 92
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    As one other commenter pointed out, i expect to see a case with a jack on it shortly. Probably one with a battery. Many options within a few weeks, and the prices will only drop.

I also expect to see this exact belkin dongle on ebay for <$10 within a month. And a dock is already available. Like the case, I expect to see one that is designed for landscape mode as well.

williamlondonwaverboywatto_cobraflaneurjony0
  • Reply 28 of 92
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s get something straight. Those who have a big hard on for what Apple did with the headphone jack will not be satisfied by anything, EVER. Somebody could come up the most elegant solution and charge only $1.99 for it and this crowd would snicker and trash it. To that ilk I say, it’s a done deal. It’s over. Apple did it. Deal with it. All the bitching and whining won’t change a thing. There’s no going back. So if you want to pray to whatever deity you believe in that iPhone 7 sales tank, that Apple relents, that the company goes bankrupt, that Steve is resurrected go right ahead. It will change nothing. The headpohne jack is gone for good.
    Sadly, the internets are overflowing with those children and the trolls they idolise, and blogs seem to pander to them. No matter what happens they're always going to complain, because, well, the cool kids complain and they want to be like the cool kids (in between selfies). Negative Nellies and Chicken Littles, never satisfied, never happy, entitled to their first world grief and melodramas. Sigh.
    lkrupproundaboutnownolamacguystevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Fantastic! We now have the worlds fastest, thinnest, most beautiful phone and we need a giant ugly block to make it ALMOST as functional as the last generation. Do not want, not buying. 
    baconstangdasanman69
  • Reply 30 of 92
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

jasonfj said:
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    This is Cook's Apple: dongles and adapters.
    Right cuz Steve's Apple never had those: All 25 (now 26) dongles and adapters
    Soliwaverboynolamacguymobiusstevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 92
    ZooMigo said:
    Fantastic! We now have the worlds fastest, thinnest, most beautiful phone and we need a giant ugly block to make it ALMOST as functional as the last generation. Do not want, not buying. 
    Be careful then which Android phone you buy. The Lenovo Moto Z Droid shipped year ago without a headphone jack. There’s a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter included in the box. So you see once again Apple is actually late to the party. Android phones started to ditch the headphone jack a year ago.
    williamlondonbrucemcnolamacguystevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 92
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    ZooMigo said:
    I know, right? Like that TV I had that they made me buy a big ugly converter for when all the TV stations went all digital. Or when I had to start buying unleaded gas for my car at a premium price because they stopped selling leaded fuel that it ran on just fine! And don't even get me started on how I now have to pay for checked bags on an airline. I didn't want any of that!
    nolamacguywatto_cobrak2kwjony0
  • Reply 33 of 92
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s get something straight. Those who have a big hard on...
    Uh; wrong metaphor.
    anantksundarambaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 92
    mac_128 said:
    This is a complete fail. Apple needs to offer something as simple as a pass through connector on the Lightning cable included in the box.

In either event, I wouldn't buy this until we see an unboxing to know what Apple has included.

Bitching aside, what do you plant to do about it? It’s not coming back.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 92
    What a gizmo? How about one simple dongle with Lightning passtrough and traditional headphones jack? How about two Lightning: one for charging one for headphones and one jack? With this gizmo I need to buy two dongles in order to use old headphones which are ceratinly better quality than whan Apple sells and stack them? Sorry, but as much as Apple phases out jack it will not disappear from market - Apple does not run professional music devices in this world and will use different types of jacks for few years. USB did not achieve thart and I do not belive this will happen with Apple ridding jack of iPhone. Trust me that audiphile will not settle for cheap quality, fancy Apple earphones.... unless you thing thatcommuters you see daily are "audiophiles" and "pros" listening to the music. Besides not everybody likes erabuds in their ears. Did Apple notice that and released standard headphones? Those Beats are may be good for base, but not near quality of Sennheisers last time I compared them side by side on the same music.
    baconstangewtheckman
  • Reply 36 of 92
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Perfect. If you need this function you've got the route to get it. Assuming you've not gone wireless with your headphones. 

Can't recall ever needing this myself. But it's nice it's available. 
    edited September 2016 williamlondonnolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Great that they built this for the 7 people in the world who might be charging and listening via headphones at the same time.

I'm glad they got rid the 3.5 jack... progress is essential. 3.5 analogue is so outdated, its embarrassing that modern devices have them.

Not convinced on the air-buds though, will have to try them out first.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraflaneurjony0
  • Reply 38 of 92
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    wdowell said:
    Frankly, given what they're faced with, i think Belkin (and lets not forget they worked with Apple on this too..) have done a good job. It'll work just fine for me as i go to bed listening to podcasts, and will use the lightening headphones provided in the box. So Ill never take the adapter with me, it's just so i can charge my phone at night and can fall asleep listening to the podcast without waking up to a flat battery the next AM.

They should also do a version for those using the analogue audio connector (I bet they or others will - its a sellers market here!), but given that apple provides the lightening ones in the box, I think it's fait this existss too. 
    You fall asleep with wired headphones on? I also go to sleep listening to podcasts but via speaker not wired headphones which I'd find uncomfortable at best.  I avoid killing the battery just by setting the play to end after the current episode, or for music after a set time period. Then the phone goes to sleep and it'll have plenty of juice come morning. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 92
    toddzrx said:
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s get something straight. Those who have a big hard on...
    Uh; wrong metaphor.
    Depends on how one views a hard on I suppose, might be a good thing or a bad thing. ;-)
  • Reply 40 of 92
    And Schiller is telling people to buy a lightening dock if they want to charge while listening. Er, so is Apple trying to get rid of the 3.5mm jack or not? If they were one would assume new docks wouldn't include it anymore.