Jet black iPhone 7 potentially vulnerable to scratching, Apple admits

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    eightzero said:
    Shouldnt phone prices in general be going down? $1000 a bit too much.
    Well...my dad paid about $400 for a color TV set in 1970, and the TV I just bought cost about $400 too. Shouldn't prices on TV sets be coming down?
    Your example is flawed considering inflation. That $400 to your dad in 1970 is about $2,500 now.   http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1970
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 42 of 64
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    What some call scratching I call graceful aging. Then again that depends on how you care for your valuables.

• Reply 43 of 64
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    frankie said:
    eightzero said:
    Shouldnt phone prices in general be going down? $1000 a bit too much.
    Well...my dad paid about $400 for a color TV set in 1970, and the TV I just bought cost about $400 too. Shouldn't prices on TV sets be coming down?
    Your example is flawed considering inflation. That $400 to your dad in 1970 is about $2,500 now.   http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1970
    You seem to have missed the point.  What you point out is what was stated.  The $$ figure stays the same but you get more and more for the same $$ amount all the while you are actually paying less in real terms.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    We've got BLACK!   YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Reply 45 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I can hear the OCD crowd now on the Apple discussion forums. Oh the pictures they will upload showing the tiniest microscopic scuff mark.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Since Apple uses aluminum for iPhones but stainless steel for the black Watch, I don't think it will be as tough. 

I don't understand why Apple won't hard anodize and avoid much of the issue. 
  • Reply 47 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    im getting the jet black...love the damn thing... simple transparent skin will solve the problem to a great extent
    Here you go, just keep this handy ;)

• Reply 48 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

fallenjt said:

apple ][ said:
    Beauty comes with a price!

I had better not see any dumbasses complaining about how they're unhappy because their Jet Black iPhone eventually gets a few minor scratches on it.

Put it in a case, or keep it naked, your choice, just don't whine about it, especially when it's done out of ignorance.

Hell, I'll buy a Jet Black iPad Pro 12.9", if and when it comes, I am not worried about any scratches on that super glossy finish.
    New jet black Samsung devices coming soon!
    That would make sense, black will dissipate the heat from Samsung's burning batteries better.  :D
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Must be the same idiots that carry their high gloss coated cars in their pockets...

SpamSandwich said:
    High gloss coatings on cars are also subject to scratching. Who knew?

At least they're saying so up front to avoid idiots filing class action suits over such trivialities.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Must be the same idiots that carry their high gloss coated cars in their pockets...

SpamSandwich said:

At least they're saying so up front to avoid idiots filing class action suits over such trivialities.
    Hot Wheels!
  • Reply 51 of 64
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    mj web said:
    Does Jonny Ive design anymore, or does he just do voiceovers exclusivly for Apple? My two year old iPhone 6 looks identical to the iPhone 7. I won't be upgrading FYI. Missing critical roadmap upgrades and acting lazy, that's Tim Cook's new Apple. Instead of technological innovation, Cook gives us hours of Super Mario and Pokemon -- and boring, old, Phil Schiller.
    troll garbage. what critical features is it lacking? the features they demoed were all great -- if Apple is lazy then this thing won't sell. Cook and Ive and Schiller are big parts of the team that made Apple the titan it is. 

oh but you wanted a shell that looked way different. wah. 
    My criticism translates into the very reason AAPL is 20% off its all time high, achieved several years ago, and withering in a $90-$110 trading range. The S&P is up 25% since AAPL's high and AAPL is down 20%. IOW AAPL is underperforming the S&P by over 40%! I'm no troll, you're a clueless fanboi. I happen to be one of the only people in this entire forum connected to reality. I'm doing all of you a service. 
    singularity
  • Reply 52 of 64
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    mj web said:
    Does Jonny Ive design anymore, or does he just do voiceovers exclusivly for Apple? My two year old iPhone 6 looks identical to the iPhone 7. I won't be upgrading FYI. Missing critical roadmap upgrades and acting lazy, that's Tim Cook's new Apple. Instead of technological innovation, Cook gives us hours of Super Mario and Pokemon -- and boring, old, Phil Schiller.
    troll garbage. what critical features is it lacking? the features they demoed were all great -- if Apple is lazy then this thing won't sell. Cook and Ive and Schiller are big parts of the team that made Apple the titan it is. 

My criticism translates into the very reason AAPL is 20% off its all time high, achieved several years ago, and withering in a $90-$110 trading range. The S&P is up 25% since AAPL's high and AAPL is down 20%. IOW AAPL is underperforming the S&P by over 40%! I'm no troll, you're a clueless fanboi. I happen to be one of the only people in this entire forum connected to reality. I'm doing all of you a service. 
    using 2 year random windows for stock prices is silly.

Look at the 5, 10 year return for Apple vs S&P.  Any one can cherry pick a time window that makes a stock look bad.  Funny I didn't see you praising Apple when it hit $133 last year.
    Did you actually post that!!! 
    Using your own rationale you are the silliest numpty on this forum.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    mj web said:

Look at the 5, 10 year return for Apple vs S&P.  Any one can cherry pick a time window that makes a stock look bad.  Funny I didn't see you praising Apple when it hit $133 last year.
    Pardon me, @sog35 ; but you're simply demonsrating your ignorance.  In the last 5 years AAPL has been down 70% relative to the S&P being up 94%. http://www.thumbcharts.com/100528/AAPL-vs-S-P-500

And after yesterday's keynote, APPL is down another whopping 2.5% in just 24 hours. The only worthwhile thing I've seen Jonny Ive do in the past 3 years is voiceovers. Apple watch looks like a Chicket and the new Apple TV turned a decent design into a hideous one. Wake the hell up, folks! 

• Reply 54 of 64
    Guess what... EVERYTHING is potentially vulnerable to scratching.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    mj web said:
    mj web said:

nonsense, youre a troll out from your dirty troll cave.

stock price != customer satisfaction. if apple sucked as bad as you pretend it does, they wouldnt keep killing it. their cash horde are like tribbles -- just keeps reproducing...
    icoco3
  • Reply 56 of 64
    mj web said:
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    mj web said:

Pardon me, @sog35 ;; but you're simply demonsrating your ignorance.  In the last 5 years AAPL has been down 70% relative to the S&P being up 94%. http://www.thumbcharts.com/100528/AAPL-vs-S-P-500

And after yesterday's keynote, APPL is down another whopping 2.5% in just 24 hours. The only worthwhile thing I've seen Jonny Ive do in the past 3 years is voiceovers. Apple watch looks like a Chicket and the new Apple TV turned a decent design into a hideous one. Wake the hell up, folks! 
    ah yes, because if some anonymous troll on a rumors site (w/ a negative 1:3 rating) doesnt see what Ive is doing behind closed doors, it must mean hes not doing a thing.

jesus christ thats dense.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 57 of 64
    As usual, I'm missing the point, but why pay a premium for aesthetics (on top of the usual iPhone premium) to then cover it up with a case?  This is like the story of the woman who wore her wigs inside out because she didn't want to get them dirty.

Kudos to Apple for at least protecting themselves from ye olde class-action lawsuits through this disclaimer on their site -- I can't remember the last time this happened.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    sog35 said:

SpamSandwich said:

You do know cars go through MUCH WORSE elements than a phone in your pocket.  Try mounting your phone on the hood of your car for a month, and tell us what it looks like. Acid rain, rail dust, rocks, glass particles, ect are constantly being slammed into your cars paint at high speeds.

Go talk to anyone who owns a black car and they will tell you the struggles of limiting the microscratches on a black car. But at the end its worth it for many of them because a clean black car looks awesome, same with this phone.
    Free with every Jet Black iPhone:

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the end of this thread.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Kind of pointless to make phones with different color these days when they often don't make the color I really like and a case has much more options and protection.  I still don't know why people use iPhones without cases.  It is slipperier than a bar of dry soap.  I haven't seen one person with a naked iPhone that isn't scratched up, cracked glass, and dented.
    singularity
  • Reply 60 of 64
    pfft, if it gets scratches - just machine polish them out. I've been doing it to my phone screens for years. My iPhone 5 never needed it and neither has my 6S so far but I use tempered glass screen protectors now.